Best place to get racing seats for taller and wider people?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for vendors that stock larger/wider racing seats that are capable of being mount to rigs like the 4Play extruded aluminum rigs? This is one area I am confused on with regards to any real auto seat being usable or if I need to find seats with certain specs for mounting? This is why I wish the 4Play folks would answer me to get answers.

Some thoughts, Stiff.

(Actually, more like many, somewhat rambling thoughts. You might want to sit down with the beverage of your choice and have a read.)

I saw your other post which listed you as 6'2, 220 lbs, if I recall correctly.

I am 6'2", 240 lbs (34-in waist) and I can fit comfortably in most regular racing seats in terms of width which is approx 15'-16" wide.. Many race seat manufacturers also offer "wide" versions of their most popular seats

I have a secondhand Corbeau Forza seat which is not snug across but which fails to provide adequate lumbar support or thigh support. There are all kinds of lumbar solutions (pads from OMP, Sparco and other racing seat manufacturers) but the shallow front to rear seat cushion dimension is harder to address.

The most comfortable seats EVER for me were the Lear Siegler (sp?) extendable cushion seats in a friend's brand new 1985 Mustang GT. A quick manual adjustment provided perfect thigh support.

The seats were a common option in Fox body Mustang GTs and LX 5.0s (approx. 1982-1990/91, if my memory comes close) and on as a rare option on some 1985/86 Buick Regal T-Types and Grand Nationals.

The Fox Mustang extendable seats are pretty common, but even rough examples aren't as cheap as typical decent boneyard seats. The good news: reproduction Mustang seat covers are available in cloth and lesther, but these are often for both front seats and the rear bench. The bad news: the cover kits are pricey IMO.

Luxury marques like Audi, BMW Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo and some Japanese makes currently offer electrically-operated evtendable seat cushions as well.

BTW: Recaro still makes extendable cushion seats, but they are expectedly high dollar to go with the Recaro reputation. Recaros were also available on 1979-80/81 Mustangs.

In looking for a seat for youself, take the following items into consderation:

1) Do you need a reclining seat? How long of stints do you see yourself at the wheel?

PRO: more adjustability and comfort
CON: less rigidity can with high braking effort from serious loadcell pedals

2) Do you foresee yourself wanting more immersion which the addition of tactile devices such as exciters and bass shakers can provide? If so, I would strongly recommend a formed aluminum (Butler Built, Kirkey, Ultrashield), fiberglass or carbon fiber seat as opposed to a tubular seat. The reasonably priced NRG Prisma fiberglass shell seat is getting very good reviews from within the sim racing community, while bigger names offer non-FIA spec seats at prices significsntly cheaper than their full-on FIA racing sests. Look at Cobra, Corbeau, Momo, OMP, Racetech (great but pricey seat from NZ!), Sabelt, Sparco, etc..

Solid shell seats of metal or fiberglass/composite enable the placement of multiple exciter units using 3M VHB adhesive to transfer various engine, road/track surface, and other effects to different regions of the body.

3) Do you foresee yourself moving (sorry for the pun) to a motion system? If so, consider a seat which will enable attachment of a 4-, 5- or even 6-point racing harness to add to the immersion factor and perhaps add some safety for extreme motion settings. You likely won't need the 5-point belt to prevent submarining in even the most violent sim racing accident, but a 6-pt harness would be more comfortable for a male wanting to go the full anti-submarine route. Harnesses can even be fitted to a tensioner system which can really deepen immersion.

Good luck & Godspeed!

Upvote 0
Check out the Momo Supercup XL I wanted a rigid seat for braking leverage but also one that was not constantly squeezing me laterally as I don't have any G forces in my rig. It has generous proportions (relative term, I suppose) and a stiff shell

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the info guys. Like any new hobby there are so many option and I learned a long time ago to inform myself 1st and purchase 2nd. I think I might get into this more and more once I get a proper rig. My walmart folding leg card table is killing me and my times.

Any idea how to change my forum name on this site? I see a mod must have not liked the nick I have only used for 20 years on every game I ever played but I see no where to change it. So I might just leave it to what it was changed to otherwise lol. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my nick name figured they are both words in the dictionary so no biggie right? LOL Anyway I see no way of changing it at this point.

Now if I could just get 4Play to respond to me I'd have an order placed today. I am going to try once more today and see what happens. You'd think a vendor might want to make a sale?

Thanks again folks your input is golden!

PickANormalUserName01

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Summit Racing has a large selection of racing seats on display if you are near one of their stores (OH, NV, GA, TX.)
I visited the Ohio store and tried several seats before buying.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Corbeau FX1-Wide is probably the biggest bucket you can find, that's what I am using.

fx1-together-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the info guys. Like any new hobby there are so many option and I learned a long time ago to inform myself 1st and purchase 2nd. I think I might get into this more and more once I get a proper rig. My walmart folding leg card table is killing me and my times.

Any idea how to change my forum name on this site? I see a mod must have not liked the nick I have only used for 20 years on every game I ever played but I see no where to change it. So I might just leave it to what it was changed to otherwise lol. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my nick name figured they are both words in the dictionary so no biggie right? LOL Anyway I see no way of changing it at this point.

Now if I could just get 4Play to respond to me I'd have an order placed today. I am going to try once more today and see what happens. You'd think a vendor might want to make a sale?

Thanks again folks your input is golden!

PickANormalUserName01
There is a thread on this site called the Premium Name Change Thread, but you may need to pe a premium (that is, paying) member of RaceDepartment to use it??? (Can some nice forum member please help "Pick" with this?)

Upvote 0
LOL no they were fine at 4PLay I finally got with John and hope to have my Wide Comp rig kit here in a week or so! For now I just get to look at the new Summit Seat I got the other day. It's assembled and ready to go! I've determined I will let me user name be what it is now.
Did you buy the seat from Summit Racing? The Ohio store is pretty amazing. Most motorhead stuff I've seen under one roof.

Upvote 0
Yes I bought the lower end seat that had good reviews. It is a bit snug but brand new so that will loosen. I drove my Subaru Legacy not long after trying the Summit seat and it was about the same size in feel so all should be good. I think mine came out of Nevada location and it didn't have any deformations from packing in two pieces as some have noted. We'll see how it does. I am in a fold up camp tailgate type chair right now so its gonna be a huge improvement once I get the extruded aluminum rig setup for it. I live in the mountains so getting into actual stores to give things a try is hard at best.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea