Automobilista is just amazing

(This is the opinion of a newbie learning simracing in VR playing only offline)

I've had AC configured with CM, CSP and Pure for a year now. My only racing game has been AC and I'm really enjoying doing Arkangel749's "Carriera Plus 0.4" career mode without any assistance (Pro). The game's visuals are impressive, I use CS0CS0's "IV PureCS" PPfilter (it helps to have a 3080ti and use OpenXR). The FFB once properly configured is amazing, according to RasmusP in this thread "https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-thrustmaster-t300-settings.132592/". It's a difficult game with a slow but very rewarding learning curve. I don't consider myself a good driver but I notice how I'm improving.

This week I decided to give AMS2 a try in VR. I followed this guide "

[AMS2] [VR] [OpenXR] [OpenComposite] High-clarity settings for HP Reverb G2"

and copied the latest FFB configuration file for my T300Rs. I set up the game without assists. I tried it yesterday and I have to say I was impressed. It has been a very solid experience. The immersion point, the behavior of the AI, I liked everything more than AC in the first impression.

The only drawback I have, apart from the fact that it doesn't have a career mode at the level of those available for AC, is that I found it easier to control and recover the car in AMS2 than in AC. I am left with the impression that by learning with AC I can be a "better driver" than by learning with AMS2 and come to better enjoy each type of car I decide to learn to drive.
BTW I've been doing some AC today, the Mazda at Mugello. Looking at the telemetry of the fast guys, they are not really trail braking at all. It's quite interesting when you compare to iRacing, where there is very heavy trail braking and you don't max the brakes out ( the AC fast people do...at least in the Mazda ). So I'd say the AC way of driving is quite distinctive from iRacing, and AMS2 is somewhere in the middle of them. You don't need to trail brake as heavily as in iRacing to rotate the car, but you do still need to trail brake. Again, I've only looked at the Mazda in AC and I'm no expert, but I was surprised how little the fast guys are trail braking.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.