Automobilista is just amazing

J.J.McClure

Premium
Hello.

As an AC advocate for years, I couldn't help but try out my steam corpse AMS2 again. Especially since I read here that the latest update was awesome.
Guys, I've never had so much fun rushing modern Formula 1 cars around the course. Especially these supercars with sophisticated technology, the Schumacher, Villeneuve, etc. drove.
It somehow didn't feel real in AC. That's of course my personal opinion, but in AMS2 it's total madness to the power of ten. These things ride like they're on rails.
They develop a downforce that you can almost feel.
Even VRC's or other state of the art modder vehicles can't keep up.
But the race tracks also feel real, again my impression.
If you compare the existing race tracks with those of AC.
Sure, most of the race tracks in AC are mod tracks, I haven't forgotten that.
The best thing is that I don't have to pack my hard drive with hundreds of mods and look for patches almost every day because the CM or SOL got an update or the modder did a sloppy job. Everything here is from a single source.
Starting AMS2 is also entirely my humor.
Turn on the computer, start Steam, activate and put on the VR glasses, and select AMS2. From now on I can turn off the screen. I can adjust all other settings using my VR glasses. If I want to go to another race track, I can do it while I have the glasses on.
In AC it was turning on the computer, activating the VR glasses, starting Steam, starting CM, setting everything I want for a race, clicking go and then putting the glasses on. If I want to change something, take the glasses off, adjust them, click Go, put the glasses back on.
AMS2 is now my favorite. No mod can keep up with that.
Even the AI, if you treat it as a player, is so busy fighting for places that it's fun to stay behind a group and watch them.
I don't need butterflies circling around the flowers, I don't need cows grazing in a meadow at the race track or other stupid modder stuff that has to do with the actual thing. It just costs resources unnecessarily.
The weather system is also a problem for me as a computer language dyslexic easy to handle. Don't write scripts and try to see if it really works. Choose slots and enjoy the weather.
Totally my taste.
Now add LeMans and the Bugatti course with or without historical content and I would be perfectly happy.
I just wanted to let you know.

I don't need butterflies circling around the flowers, I don't need cows grazing in a meadow at the race track or other stupid modder stuff that has to do with the actual thing. It just costs resources unnecessarily.
I don't disagree with what you are saying in general, but be aware AMS 2 has grazing cows, too, where they are appropriate like the old long Spa track from the early 1970's ;)

Last edited:
It's an awesome simulator ! Maybe even the best ... !

I've not played some simulators for some time, but before that I did play Assetto Corsa a lot. I do like the older content a lot (70's/80's/90's) and on that level AMS has got AC beaten.
AC has some extremely nice content, but AMS has got more of this, if you count the version without DLC and without mods.
I can't wait to try the mods, like the F1 season mods ... they look great !
When it comes to older F1, I think you can basically stop looking any further.

I tried the 1991 F1 mod ... it's awesome.

THIS is exactly what I look for in a simulator: real teams, real sponsors, real names, and a good driving experience.
I appreciate a lot that they have the ultimate and best McLarens and Williams cars ... but, a full grid of original cars beats that in my mind. Even though each of these cars on themselves are less in depth than the MP4/4 that is available separately.
There's enough tracks that suit these older cars, even some that never had any F1 car on them. So you can drive like you're doing a championship, with suited tracks. For that, I don't mind creating my own old skool championship.

Reiza Studios do a good job.
One of my biggest gripes with the title....(and it is probably based on the original PC2 core)... is with rolling starts.
The time until steering authority is handed over during race starts, is way too long.
I like to know how the car will respond and is doing prior to getting dumped into a race.

Reiza Studios do a good job.
One of my biggest gripes with the title....(and it is probably based on the original PC2 core)... is with rolling starts.
The time until steering authority is handed over during race starts, is way too long.
I like to know how the car will respond and is doing prior to getting dumped into a race.
Did you turn off the parade lap?

I’m really loving it as well. I’ve mostly been driving the ‘88 through ‘91 F1 cars, but the last few days driving the LMDH Caddi at Daytona. OMG, is that fun. Set up a 1:20 race with 20x time, fuel, and tire progression and 3x weather slots Is perfect. LMDH, GT3 G2, and GTE cars with IMSA skins is icing on the cake. Hope that Reiza gives us a Lexus, Corvette, Sebring, and Road Atlanta. Daytona is a beautiful piece of work.

Last edited:
I can't really decide.
F1 is incredibly immersive in VR. It doesn't matter which year it is from.
Just the fact that the McLaren comes up like a Citroen when you turn on the ignition is crazy. Small detail, big impact.
I think the BMW M1 is easy to enjoy. This thing really puts you in a good mood.
But the smaller classes like the Junior are not to be despised either.
Plus, the AI is so unpredictable. She makes mistakes, tries to overtake, fakes, makes room or doesn't. It's just fun.
The new DLC is awesome.
But what bothers me is the fact that you can't hold a simulated 24 hour race.
What I mean?
Why is the time acceleration not adjustable up to 24 times?
Why 25 compartment?
That makes absolutely no sense in my opinion. The boys and girls from Raiza should use their toolbox. But otherwise, I haven't regretted my opinion or rather decision to declare AMS2 as my favorite racing sim. Everything from a single source, no messing around with additional programs like in another very good simulation from Kunos.
It would be unimaginable if Raiza, Kunos and the others would get together.

But what bothers me is the fact that you can't hold a simulated 24 hour race.
What I mean?
Why is the time acceleration not adjustable up to 24 times?
this a strong point, and I add the tail brake light glow is pretty arcade, and the lack of proper ultrawide support with a fake triple screen is missing.

Anyway, there are some rare combos very cool, for the rest, I use other games which simulates better the others combos

Last edited:
Hi,

don`t want to create a new threadt, it fits fine here just to share my thoughts on AMS2 right now.

So far it was coming, leaving, coming again, leaving again and so on.... but especialy after update 1.5 i am spending more and more time with AMS2.
The good old AC is still somehow in front when it comes to playtime, just because of the content an countless championships i created.

But if it comes to immersion and the driving alone i must admitt AMS2 is no. 1 now. Just best FFB out there for my T300rs

I also play WTCR and WTCC or the 1992 DTM with Raceroom. Those Touring car series would perfectly fit in AMS2.

In AMS2 i enjoy the Brazilian Stock Cars most. Followed by the P1 new gen. Also using the GTEs with all the US tracks available and now the LeMans pack on some international tracks.
Last but not least i have great pleasure to drive the Copa Truck. I really enjoy the difference in this category. It´s whole new experience compared to all other car clasess in all other sims.

I am wondering if there are any other guys enjoying the Truck´s
Would even love to compete online with them.

However i do not share the enthusiasm like many others to all the open wheelers, all the F1 or Indy series.
Yeah they are good, but i don´t drive em´I just prefer to simulate F1 or Indycar seasons with the AC counterparts. Especially with the mods from ASR, RSS or VRC.

I am wondering if there are any other guys enjoying the Truck´s
Would even love to compete online with them.
Oddly enough, I was looking at them to run an event on an upcoming Tuesday. I'll try and remember to ping you if we do! :) We did an event last year with them and it worked out pretty well. Took a few of us a while to figure out how to get the most out of them.

Oddly enough, I was looking at them to run an event on an upcoming Tuesday. I'll try and remember to ping you if we do! :) We did an event last year with them and it worked out pretty well. Took a few of us a while to figure out how to get the most out of them.
Yeah cool normally due my limited time and little kids around I have not enough time to spend for Multiplayer

But that stuff I would love to try in Multiplayer

(This is the opinion of a newbie learning simracing in VR playing only offline)

I've had AC configured with CM, CSP and Pure for a year now. My only racing game has been AC and I'm really enjoying doing Arkangel749's "Carriera Plus 0.4" career mode without any assistance (Pro). The game's visuals are impressive, I use CS0CS0's "IV PureCS" PPfilter (it helps to have a 3080ti and use OpenXR). The FFB once properly configured is amazing, according to RasmusP in this thread "https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-thrustmaster-t300-settings.132592/". It's a difficult game with a slow but very rewarding learning curve. I don't consider myself a good driver but I notice how I'm improving.

This week I decided to give AMS2 a try in VR. I followed this guide "

[AMS2] [VR] [OpenXR] [OpenComposite] High-clarity settings for HP Reverb G2"

and copied the latest FFB configuration file for my T300Rs. I set up the game without assists. I tried it yesterday and I have to say I was impressed. It has been a very solid experience. The immersion point, the behavior of the AI, I liked everything more than AC in the first impression.

The only drawback I have, apart from the fact that it doesn't have a career mode at the level of those available for AC, is that I found it easier to control and recover the car in AMS2 than in AC. I am left with the impression that by learning with AC I can be a "better driver" than by learning with AMS2 and come to better enjoy each type of car I decide to learn to drive.

Last edited:

I've had AC configured with CM, CSP and Pure for a year now. My only racing game has been AC and I'm really enjoying doing Arkangel749's "Carriera Plus 0.4" career mode without any assistance (Pro). The game's visuals are impressive, I use CS0CS0's "IV PureCS" PPfilter (it helps to have a 3080ti and use OpenXR). The FFB once properly configured is amazing, according to RasmusP in this thread "https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-thrustmaster-t300-settings.132592/". It's a difficult game with a slow but very rewarding learning curve. I don't consider myself a good driver but I notice how I'm improving.

and copied the latest FFB configuration file for my T300Rs. I set up the game without assists. I tried it yesterday and I have to say I was impressed. It has been a very solid experience. The immersion point, the behavior of the AI, I liked everything more than AC in the first impression.

The only drawback I have, apart from the fact that it doesn't have a career mode at the level of those available for AC, is that I found it easier to control and recover the car in AMS2 than in AC. I am left with the impression that by learning with AC I can be a "better driver" than by learning with AMS2 and come to better enjoy each type of car I decide to learn to drive.
This is something I wondered about as I'm still very much a beginner ( well, 2 years in it feels like it ). But I now split my time between AMS2/AC and iRacing. I tend to play more AMS2 than the others and the skills are certainly transferable. I've realised recently that I only play iRacing because I think it will make me a better sim racer, not because I actually enjoy the driving experience. I can feel the limit of the car way better in AMS2 and AC than in iRacing and that seals the deal really, as that is what I'm trying to do all the time, find that limit and stay as close to it as possible. On iRacing I have to watch track guides and learn what to do by heart as I can't feel it. In AMS2 I can get better just by driving more and learning the car, everything just makes sense and works as I expect it to.

I've not even tried the trucks yet! I have just started getting into the open wheelers more now as the F3 seems to have improved a lot in the latest patches. The variety in the game really is astonishing.

The good thing is - we are not forced to choose exactly one sim. We can play them all (theoretically^^).
There was some time i had 5-6 sims installed same time. Nowdays AC, AMS2, R3E + WRC
The fun factor and the possibility to recreate real championships are the things which drives me on.
So i pick each game´s best cars/series and have fun.

If i improve as an simracer or not, is no more important (doing simracing about 20 years, stopped competetive multiplayer about 15y ago.)

But i am convinced, through simracing i become a better driver in real life.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.