Aura AST-2B-4 mount that works.

I rebuilt my rig and decided to buy some Aurasound Ast 2b 4s for an extra touch of immersion. I picked up a BMW E38 18 way Sport Seat and built the rig. When the Aura sounds showed up, I wasn't impressed, but I found a fix, and cant run them full power unless I want a head ache.

First thing first, as has been recommended, transducers need to be mounted on something solid. I tested in various places and methods and this advice is true. So I took the plastic seat back cover of the BMW E38 seat. Then mounted the transducer between the seat and back metal frame.
SmartSelect_20200928-075432_Photos.jpg

In this case there is an empty space behind the seat back. You can see the bottom of the transducer in the pic, it straddles between the top metal brace and the bottom. VERY tight fit, and the seat was $40 at a junk yard...I'm not complaining about the seat.

Lastly, the seat is mounted on soft silicon rubber pads to allow the whole seat to vibrate. The pads are soft 3/4 inch silicon.

SmartSelect_20200927-194947_Photos.jpg

The silicon came from an old tube of caulk that dried in the tube. So I cut it out of the tube, and cut to size.

The results made the aura almost painful, and increased the usable frequency range over previous tests with the chair without pads.

The idea being that a transducer simple moves things, but it cannot move something that's completely ridged. If these had been mounted to an aluminum rig, I doubt they'd work at all.

My amps are 100W (peak is my guess here) so 50W rms. I think that right, anyway. I found them on Amazon. They are HiLetGo 12-24v TPA3116DA. I got 2 for $11 and they dont even get warm. I run them on 24V at about 70% power. My simhub master gain is about 70%. The 24v power supply is also from Amazon, it's a Joylit 24 volt 15A 360W and cost $20.

Maybe the helps someone looking to try out the Aurasound transducers. I spent $130 for the electronics and transducers, and it was worth it for me.

Oh, and here's the finished rig.
SmartSelect_20200928-081833_Photos.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200927-194947_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200927-194947_Photos.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 81

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks