Aston Martin Confirm 2019 DTM Entry

I'll be disappointed if it was a one off and the rest of the season was pants .

You got the good bit. I watched some bits on and off, & the best part of the rest of the year was Rene Rast melting down in-car at Misano :p it has unfortunately been getting progressively worse the last few years, at least that's how it's felt - got to the point where it's not holding my interest at all now, sadly.

Not if you just put a Aston Martin body on an existing Mercedes

It's not even a body, it's basically the very front end & the taillights, the rest of a DTM car is more or less common. Whether a 2018 Mercedes is going to be competitive in 2019 is another question.

Meh, DTM needs to finally die and make room for something that is not a advertising photo generator. The whole thing lives of fans that do not understand how little the cars have in common with their road going Audis and BMWs. By dancing arournd the Super GT tech merger DTM made sure to never include the "evils of Japanese brands", god imagine a Lexus or Nissan winning against a domestic!!
So even of Aston really competes one day, it will be kept away from the podiums.
I never understood why race cars have to have anything common with road cars. I mean, it has its place, sure but originally race cars innovated and things that worked trickled down to road cars and I think that's how the top end racing series should be like F1 and DTM. I think only ladder racing series should be spec racing.

You really think people don't know the cars have nothing in common with the street versions? That's just stupid, all they have in common is the looks of the headlights. Still racing is good, they sound great and it's a great live experience.
Well, yes. It caters a similar crowd as your typical casual F1 TV crowd, people that don't have the biggest grip on all. I have a neighbour who is picturebook example of the perfect fan, grown man mid 40s, lower middle class, lowish educational level, works as machine operator in a factory. Travels to two races a year, good tickets, spends money on T-shirts, basecaps and food there, is a huge fan of Audi and wants them to win because "its just the better car and its AWD!", has no idea about motorsport outside of DTM and F1 and maybe whatever secondary series run on the DTM weekends. Dreams of swapping his Seat for a new Audi one day.

I tried explaining him that Audi and Merc are basically the same cars and that the racing chassis has nothing in common with the roadcar (anymore), he didn't understand and frankly didn't want to understand. He also did not believe me when i told him that GT Masters tickets were only like 25€ all access.

Good news: Aston Martin will enter DTM via R-Motorsport in 2019
Good news: WRT will enter DTM as customer sport team of Audi in 2019
WTF news: DTM will change name in 2020?

Footnote: I don't really care if its touring cars or prototypes as long as I feel entertained and racing is fair and good. DTM 2018 is one of the best seasons I've seen in this series since the glory days in the 90s.

I never understood why race cars have to have anything common with road cars. I mean, it has its place, sure but originally race cars innovated and things that worked trickled down to road cars and I think that's how the top end racing series should be like F1 and DTM. I think only ladder racing series should be spec racing.

Racecars don't *have* to look like road cars, that's how we ended up with single seaters. If it's a production based idea like touring cars then they're meant to actually *be* road cars, not just look vaguely like them, that's rather the point - if your racecar can look like anything why would you make it into a big box :p.

I don't know why DTM bother with the big-coupe style, they might as well make it look a bit more wild since they gave up any pretence of actual touring cars.

The DTM was a great series through the 1990s and one I made a point of keeping up to speed on. I think the rot set in when Audi were allowed to stretch the TT into something resembling a 'ute'.
Someone mentioned the Supercar series, agreed, spec everything but the balance was reasonable and Factory participation was decent. Sadly it will go tits up over the next couple of seasons, Nissan have pulled out, Ford are entering the Mustang and GM the Camaro via HSV, neither of which come close to the concept.
FTR, the 'V8 only' series came about as the result of 'outsiders' cleaning the 'domestics' clocks.
Previously the field was varied and interesting, after a shaky start the V8 series settled into a great contest as exemplified by the recent 1000k, even if it was parochial.

Every time i watch a DTM race they never failed to produce a decent race , so i like to see DTM live and i'm happy that Aston Martin joined DTM
any news about Nicki Thiim?:D

Every time i watch a DTM race they never failed to produce a decent race , so i like to see DTM live and i'm happy that Aston Martin joined DTM
any news about Nicki Thiim?:D

It's a private effort and he is an AMR ( ie, Prodrive ) driver - the only connection is R-Motorsport where he came as a package deal with the Blancpain car, and the A-M badge. IE, this is not a guaranteed thing ( not least because I think he's tested for DTM in the past already when he was an Audi driver ).

What would you do as a driver if you want the title because your dad won it, but hate how the series has become, heh.

Last edited:
THIS IS FAKE.....but wouldn't be great to see?

alfa-romeo-giulia-dtm-rendering.jpg

The DTM was a great series through the 1990s and one I made a point of keeping up to speed on. I think the rot set in when Audi were allowed to stretch the TT into something resembling a 'ute'.
Someone mentioned the Supercar series, agreed, spec everything but the balance was reasonable and Factory participation was decent. Sadly it will go tits up over the next couple of seasons, Nissan have pulled out, Ford are entering the Mustang and GM the Camaro via HSV, neither of which come close to the concept.
FTR, the 'V8 only' series came about as the result of 'outsiders' cleaning the 'domestics' clocks.
Previously the field was varied and interesting, after a shaky start the V8 series settled into a great contest as exemplified by the recent 1000k, even if it was parochial.

The problem the Supercar V8 series has is similar to Nascar.People are just not buyiing those cars in large numbers.People are buying SUVs.So the old saying win on Sunday sell on Monday is just not true..The difference is Supercar V8s & Nascar will always exist.They might not be attracting new younger fans but their series will always exist in some form because the cars are plentiful & can be very cheap to run even if the big sponsors & manufacturers all depart.Just less money around for drivers etc.
DTM is really boxed in by everything & Gerhard Berger the boss needs to be a miracle worker to revive it.Easiest option would be GT3 or GTE cars but Germany has successful VLN & GT3 series.If they went to a more stock GT4 type series the fans would have to get used to much slower cars & the dredded BOP so it is pretty tough.Unlike Supercar V8,Nascar or BTCC there are few privateers to fall back on if the manufacturers depart the series.

DTM in the 80s ran the same cars as everyone else ( mostly Group A - BTCC ran those, the strange world that was european touring cars/the brief world touring cars also did, as did the aussie series iirc ). I don't know what happened to make DTM go the other way from BTCC on costs but we ended up with saloon cars filling the hole that was the lack of GT at the time, and a few years of awesomeness. BTCC went for the Supertouring formula instead, which was awesome in it's own way and actually just as fast as Group A.

Fast forward to 2000 - DTM had priced itself out of existence as the ITC several years before, teams had jumped into GT1 and promptly killed that, and Supertourers were now too expensive too, so what happens:

* DTM tries to carry on from where it left off, with formula of prototype cars shaped vaguely like executive saloon cars, only making everything spec in an attempt to keep prices down. If you look at a 2000 season DTM car it actually looks far nearer to a road car than the things we have now.
* BTCC keeps an open formula but tries to get people to build smaller, cheaper cars with some spec parts. This Super2000 spec ended up being used for rallying too, but again eventually ended up more expensive so got replaced by NGTC which is used now.

So what's the current state? BTCC is oversubscribed, and DTM has lost it's signature manufacturer. Subjectively I think DTM is a bit more of a spectacle - BTCC cars these days don't have the presence of a Supertourer let alone a 600bhp Group A car even if they're faster than both of them; there is a huge variety there though - but with teams clamouring to get in & just not having room it does seem the more successful one at present.

BTCC has the cars people are buying, too; you could argue that the Mercedes 190 was in DTM because every taxi driver in Europe had one but I don't think they're driving C-class these days :) and the M series BMWs are once again GT cars. As a thought experiment for a formula, how about 4/5 door cars a size up from BTCC max size ( they're allowed slightly longer cars than TCR there ), with 1.6 turbo engines but hybrid powertrain? if LMP1-H proved anything it's the potential for a hybrid on a track. Nice fat tyres for big arches and decent grip, limited aero upgrades to keep price down & aero issues down.

If DTM won't, hopefully someone else will :p

Last edited:
It's a private effort and he is an AMR ( ie, Prodrive ) driver - the only connection is R-Motorsport where he came as a package deal with the Blancpain car, and the A-M badge. IE, this is not a guaranteed thing ( not least because I think he's tested for DTM in the past already when he was an Audi driver ).

What would you do as a driver if you want the title because your dad won it, but hate how the series has become, heh.
Yeah the DTM his father won was something else...
don't know why but everytime that i write his name in a forum or in a chat he end up doing something good lol now he has GTE's pole at fuji lol ( those BoP helping them great after last round)

The problem the Supercar V8 series has is similar to Nascar. People are just not buying those cars in large numbers.People are buying SUV's

The two best selling vehicle in Oz this year are 'Trucks'......Ford's Ranger and either Toyota or Mazda depending on deals. Holden's newest offering is 'Made in Thailand', that can't be good.
And an SUV is neither sporting not utilitarian, especially the ridiculous mini versions based on small chassis. I admit to owning one truck, it pulls my wife's horse float and as I had to have one it's big, overpowered and looks very, very evil.
Being classed (incorrectly but I'm not correcting the Governments mistake) as a Primary Producer I receive benefits......:roflmao:
Holden's Opel based Commodore is selling poorly, Ford can only counter with the Mondeo, while Toyota is doing well with the newest Camry. However, Hyundai, KIA, Toyota and similar cars sell very well, so given their popularity, running Mustangs and Camaros is not very clever.
I'm looking forward to the day increased running costs hit all the SUV driving idiots, one of which will be legislation to double (roughly!) registration and third party insurance!
The only thing worse than a 'soccer mom' in an SUV is a P-Plater in a 'Tradie Truck'.
:O_o:

Last edited:
Yeah the DTM his father won was something else...
don't know why but everytime that i write his name in a forum or in a chat he end up doing something good lol now he has GTE's pole at fuji lol ( those BoP helping them great after last round)

As expected Nicki himself confirmed he's not doing DTM with these guys, as it's not a works effort ( think he said he's not even allowed to ). It's like the Aston badge is a franchise these days :p

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.9%