Anyone working on Datsun 510 ?

There are some great cars out there, but this one like the classic BMW 2002 just are perfect driving cars. I thought maybe the HistorX project might be going in the AC direction, but I'm not so sure.
So is anyone working on this at the moment ?

There are some great cars out there, but this one like the classic BMW 2002 just are perfect driving cars. I thought maybe the HistorX project might be going in the AC direction, but I'm not so sure.

What is the "HistorX Project"? Do they need a mechanic ... or a historian?

If they are doing a Datsun 510 and a BMW 2002 ... I hope they are doing a decent 240Z, a Porsche 914, 2.0L., a Bath-tub 356 and a decent Porsche 911 to fit with them all.

Instead of starting a new thread on Datsun 510, I will tag along here. Perhaps more people will chime in.

Currently, this week, I am working on the suspension/tuning of Datsun 1600/510. Now a little background.

My background is mechanical engineering, and a club autoX racer driving Toyota MR2, AW11 in E stock class. My 86 MR2 was featured in magazine articles multiple times, and is considered a collectable classic. I am in my early 60's meaning I am drawn mostly to small sports cars from 60's to 90's. On AC, less than "20 days", drive exclusively offline, mostly solo driving, i.e. hotlapping/trackday, touge/drift. The most driven and tweaked/tuned car is again MR2 AW11. My thing is .. suspension geometry and setup for non-aero/stock spec cars.

Mods available: The most reputable is Legion's Touring Legion/Bazza. Then in AC world there are like 8 510's. Focusing on stock or near stock spec "looking" cars, the two are ATCC GrpE Datsun 1600 Deluxe (right hand drive) and Datsun 510 (left hand drive) from Earthwormjim90. Now looking into the files, it appears that both contains the EW files. With a more recent date, I think ATCC version is a modified version of the EW version.

Considering only the suspension configuration and tuning, I think both are pretty off. EW version has tiny unrealistic looking DWB front and rear suspension. And ATCC has correct front strut but DWB suspension. I have not driven the EW version but the ride frequency is about 2.5/2.6Hz, very high for a non-aero car. The ATCC car about 1.1/1.2 Hz, but the car has almost no suspension travel, meaning it rides on the bumpstop/secondary spring.

Both of these cars has limited tuning/setup options, as expected on a well setup stock car. But they are not properly setup. I would say these mods are in 0.x version, still WIP/incomplete.

My gripe is that even Legion's TCL version has rear DWB configuration. Nobody got it right!? Unbelievable!!
Perhaps I am a minority in the AC world, most of the mods out there are too stiff and does not allow the suspension to work and the body to roll, that kills the feel and the progression of how the car transition from one steady state to another, such as turning in. But the advantage of being stiff is you do not have to optimize the suspension geometry, because once you set it close to what you want, it stays there. It rides terrible, it bounces, it feels digital.. but the lap time is fine. For racing, hell with the feel.

But if you like help with getting the feel back from these two 1600/510, I am working on it.

Just in case someone actually like driving a slow and soft car, like the Datsun 1600/510. I have the car.ini, suspension.ini, and setup.ini files I modified from the ATCC version. FileFile
atcc_datsun_1600_deluxe_grpe_x1_ks_laguna_seca.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes