Anyone Using Meta Quest 3 for PC Racing in VR?

Is in anyone Racing in VR using a Meta Quest 3?

If so, could you explain how you're doing it? Is it best to use a "Link" cable or use the "Virtual Desktop" app (I THINK that's the name...) In either case, could you explain step-by-step how to get started?

Thanks!

I do, link cable will always be better but Virtual Desktop is probably the best way to go wireless. If you’re in the UK I can recommend the cables from Kenable.

Bunch of videos on Youtube for Virtual Desktop some of the Flight Sim ones are good and applicable to Sim Racing.

Last edited:
I got mine last week and didn't spend enough time for a conclusion regarding reliability. First impression with Steam Link (3rd method), after using 8KX and Pico 4: Quest 3 beats them all. Best visual quality and decent performance. Almost looks like native DP to me and it doesn't need the high Supersampling to look better than the 8KX or Pico 4 with higher pixel density. I won't even try Virtual Desktop if this method is reliable.

I have been using the Quest 3 for a couple of months now. It's true edge to egde clarity and the lenses are great. Just wished the panels had a bit higher resolution.

At first i used the Oculus link cable and later made the switch to Virtual Desktop. The battery will drain like crazy and for the longer sessions you need to have the Quest 3 plugged into a charger.

Setting up is just a matter of installing the software on your PC and make connection in the Quest 3.

Imho Virtual desktop has the advantage over Oculus link regarding image quality and user friendliness.

I did a lot back to back comparisons of VD vs the link cable and i get a better/sharper image with better performances with Virtual Desktop. VD has extra optimizations like sharpening, colour / gamma adjustment and native openxr support.

For optimal performance wireless, you do need a dedicated Wifi 6e router . This one is recommend on the VD Discord : https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B5PLYWVH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last but not least, Virtual Desktop has a hotkey that allows you to switch between VR and 2D desktop with a press of button on your buttonbox.

The comparison between the link cable and VD is made with an RTX4090 and the highest settings on both connections .

Bought one a few months ago and have not even connected it to PC yet....
Got the BOBO VR head strap thingy with battery too....

Interesting to see user comments on what is the best options for Sim racing.
They did a great job with the Quest 2 with updates and I expect and see already they are improving the Quest 3 in the same manner.

I doubt their will be many guides regards 7900XTX but would like to hear if we have any other users with that GPU using Quest 3.

I've tried this tweaked Link-Settings yesterday and look very sharp as well. 900 MBit certainly beats all cable-free methods and it also doesn't work with Air Link unless you reduce it to 300 or so.

I didn't notice any difference with dynamic Bitrate enabled and still doesn't work with Air Link. The battery drains a bit and I guess 20% per hour.
Edit: I had some audio-pops with 900 MBit and just reading a comment, that it won't happen with 700 MBit, while 500 MBit is the best setting for lowest latency.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience of using the Quest 3 at 120Hz in sim racing? Does it work reliably?
It works fine on AMS2 but you're going to have to compromise on eye candy to hit that reliably. I'm on a 4080 Super with a 5800x3d and I stick to 90hz with the resolution slider for the Quest 3 maxed out.

The extra 30HZ isn't worth the graphical compromises and in other sims that are less VR friendly it's going to be more of a hit.

It works fine on AMS2 but you're going to have to compromise on eye candy to hit that reliably. I'm on a 4080 Super with a 5800x3d and I stick to 90hz with the resolution slider for the Quest 3 maxed out.

The extra 30HZ isn't worth the graphical compromises and in other sims that are less VR friendly it's going to be more of a hit.
Thanks for the info. Reason I ask is I use Reverb G2 and am quite sensitive to framerate (I can't stand much below 90Hz). So I will dial down eye candy a little anyway to help with start of race or rain etc. But this also means I have bit of headroom at other times (e.g. dry weather, after lap 1, or hotlapping in AC). So if I was running Q3 at 120Hz couldn't I calibrate around 90Hz for worst conditions and then get a bonus afterwards? I'm using 3080ti with i9 9900k@5ghz mainly AC and Iracing.
Have you achieved 120Hz with link cable and/or wireless? Appreciate all your info.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Reason I ask is I use Reverb G2 and am quite sensitive to framerate (I can't stand much below 90Hz). So I will dial down eye candy a little anyway to help with start of race or rain etc. But this also means I have bit of headroom at other times (e.g. dry weather, after lap 1, or hotlapping in AC). So if I was running Q3 at 120Hz couldn't I calibrate around 90Hz for worst conditions and then get a bonus afterwards? I'm using 3080ti with i9 9900k@5ghz mainly AC and Iracing.
Have you achieved 120Hz with link cable and/or wireless? Appreciate all your info.

Last edited:
I’ve not really done much VR on AC so others are probably better placed to comment. I run wired so use Oculus Tray Tool or the Oculus debug tool as well as the Oculus app to tweak settings. I previously had a 3080 and you could get decent performance with that in AMS2, ACC isn’t great in VR so more compromises and in IMHO a worse image and I was aiming at 80hz with the 3080. RF2 I’ve only got running in VR post going to a 4080 Super but you can get some decent performance on it but it’s not well optimised for VR. I am running them mainly at High settings so at medium you are going to have more headroom. This still gives me headroom for running night/rain and only having to lower a few settings depending on Track and number of cars.

The Oculus tools will let you do things like set it so that you don’t render parts of the image that can’t really be seen which is very handy. I run 0.8 vertically and 0.9 Horizontally, so it saves al little bit on the work the GPU needs to do. You can go lower than this but you start to loose immersion whic is thw whole point of VR to me.

Last edited:
I’ve not really done much VR on AC so others are probably better placed to comment. I run wired so use Oculus Tray Tool or the Oculus debug tool as well as the Oculus app to tweak settings. I previously had a 3080 and you could get decent performance with that in AMS2, ACC isn’t great in VR so more compromises and in IMHO a worse image and I was aiming at 80hz with the 3080. RF2 I’ve only got running post going to a 4080 Super but you can get some decent performance on it but it’s not well optimised for VR. I am running them mainly at High settings so at medium you are going to have more headroom. This still gives me headroom for running night/rain and only having to lower a few settings depending on Track and number of cars.

The Oculus tools will let you do things like set it so that you don’t render parts of the image that can’t really be seen which is very handy. I run 0.8 vertically and 0.9 Horizontally, so it saves al little bit on the work the GPU needs to do. You can go lower than this but you start to loose immersion whic is thw whole point of VR to me.
Thanks thats useful to know.

Only just found out that the Quest 3 has a Contrast setting, its in the accessibility options rather than where the Brightness is set.

It seems to be set all the way off by default, been tinkering with it in AMS2 and just moving the slider a centimetre or two to the right seems to be about right for me, with the brightness set about 1cm from max.

More than that and you lose a bit too much detail in the dark areas of the cockpit.

Pop in here evey so often...

Not been using mine much lately and need to see recent updates to the headset..

Still have not even bothered to connect it to PC yet, as was looking for a "lazy ass" guide on configuring the unit with 7900XTX. Obviously most will be using Nvidia based cards and few people here seem to have the same combination I have.

In fairness, I have just been extremly happy with the Samsung 57" G9 and using it with the Tobii (5) Eyetracker/Head tracking. The 8K based resolution with 140PPI on this very bright display is quite effortless and thats for me a major benefit than having to spend ages maybe trying to configure my GPU with the Q3.

Will hold out to more up to date videos/tutorials are released.

Last edited:
Pop in here evey so often...

Not been using mine much lately and need to see recent updates to the headset..

Still have not even bothered to connect it to PC yet, as was looking for a "lazy ass" guide on configuring the unit with 7900XTX. Obviously most will be using Nvidia based cards and few people here seem to have the same combination I have.

In fairness, I have just been extremly happy with the Samsung 57" G9 and using it with the Tobii (5) Eyetracker/Head tracking. The 8K based resolution with 140PPI on this very bright display is quite effortless and thats for me a major benefit than having to spend ages maybe trying to configure my GPU with the Q3.

Will hold out to more up to date videos/tutorials are released.
You could be waiting forever. Just plug it in with a link cable, set it to 90 hz, put the resolution slider in the oculus desktop app all the way to the right and start your game from Steam in either Oculus VR (my preference) or Steam VR mode.

From that point you can start to work out how much mucking about you need to do.

I’d go with AMS 2 first if you have it as it’s pretty easy to get up and running.

I play on a c2 oled 4k 55" tv with a great picture!
How close does Quest 3 getin graphics?
I have a 5800x3d and an RTX4080, does it work with that configuration?
I own samsung Odyssey vr glasses but the graphics are terrible in the glasses and I don't use the glasses.The glasses were used for 2 years, but c2 oled 4k 55" tv knocked out the glasses!
i play ac rf2 ams2

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea