Anyone using LG OLED Triples with 4090 ??

darrenkell

Premium
I have 3 x 65" LG OLEDs I use as Triples - running a 3090 GPU. I have to use an "Legacy" 2021 version of the the NVidia driver so I can retain them running them at 120Hz. (If you "upgrade" to the latest Drivers it doesn't allow you to run them at 60Hz in Nvidia surround. WTF Nvidia!!)

So I want to upgrade to a 4090 to get more FPS and upgrade ability - but don't want to do so if the 4090 does not allow you to run them at 120Hz - so is anyone running LG OLEDS on 4090 and running at 120Hz ?? Thanks!!

I have 3 x 65" LG OLEDs I use as Triples - running a 3090 GPU. I have to use an "Legacy" 2021 version of the the NVidia driver so I can retain them running them at 120Hz. (If you "upgrade" to the latest Drivers it doesn't allow you to run them at 60Hz in Nvidia surround. WTF Nvidia!!)

So I want to upgrade to a 4090 to get more FPS and upgrade ability - but don't want to do so if the 4090 does not allow you to run them at 120Hz - so is anyone running LG OLEDS on 4090 and running at 120Hz ?? Thanks!!
Drivers past 2021 don't allow running triples in 120 Hz? I used to run triples at 120 Hz, 144 Hz, and 165 Hz until early 2023 and so do tons of other people. I think there's something wrong with your setup...

Plenty of people I know use anything from 10th gen to 40th gen nvidia gpu with triples in surround mode at 60/75/120/144 or 165 Hz.
There's definitely something wrong with your newer driver.
Maybe try using DDU to get rid of everything of older drivers.

How are your monitors connected? Hdmi or DP?

I wasn't thinking straight in my first post. He's using TVs so they're HDMI, not DP. Having said that, the newer Nv drivers should still work AFAIK. I wonder if a better DP-to-HDMI cable is required.

I don't know if it's true but I heard you loose VRR / G-Sync when using a DP-to-HDMI cable. I have no idea if this is true; it's just what someone else experienced.

As RasmusP mentioned, definitely do a full uninstall of your GPU drivers using DDU before installing/reinstalling any GPU drivers.

Last edited:
Drivers past 2021 don't allow running triples in 120 Hz? I used to run triples at 120 Hz, 144 Hz, and 165 Hz until early 2023 and so do tons of other people. I think there's something wrong with your setup...

Plenty of people I know use anything from 10th gen to 40th gen nvidia gpu with triples in surround mode at 60/75/120/144 or 165 Hz.
There's definitely something wrong with your newer driver.
Maybe try using DDU to get rid of everything of older drivers.

How are your monitors connected? Hdmi or DP?

I wasn't thinking straight in my first post. He's using TVs so they're HDMI, not DP. Having said that, the newer Nv drivers should still work AFAIK. I wonder if a better DP-to-HDMI cable is required.

I don't know if it's true but I heard you loose VRR / G-Sync when using a DP-to-HDMI cable. I have no idea if this is true; it's just what someone else experienced.

As RasmusP mentioned, definitely do a full uninstall of your GPU drivers using DDU before installing/reinstalling any GPU drivers.
Yeah - we are running LG OLED's -65" B series - we use expensive POWERED DP to HDMI converter cables. We have tried standard DP to HDMI cables but they weren't anywhere near as consistent. When we first installed the system we could run 120Hz in NVIDEA SURROUND with no problems - but then about a year ago the PC did an NVIDEA update - and we could never select 120Hz again. I then found a post on another forum explaining that NVIDEA had removed support for 120Hz on their later drivers - we had to backdate the drivers - and once we'd done that we could get them to run at 120Hz again!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-02 at 10.14.21.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah - we are running LG OLED's -65" B series - we use expensive POWERED DP to HDMI converter cables. We have tried standard DP to HDMI cables but they weren't anywhere near as consistent. When we first installed the system we could run 120Hz in NVIDEA SURROUND with no problems - but then about a year ago the PC did an NVIDEA update - and we could never select 120Hz again. I then found a post on another forum explaining that NVIDEA had removed support for 120Hz on their later drivers - we had to backdate the drivers - and once we'd done that we could get them to run at 120Hz again!

View attachment 725875
Sorry man, when it comes to converters (eg. DP-to-HDMI), I don't know much. Wish I could help you further.

I know the following doesn't help with your problem but, if the screens are mostly for gaming use, have you considered replacing them with some large screens that have DP? Then you shouldn't have any problems AFAIK.

Sorry man, when it comes to converters (eg. DP-to-HDMI), I don't know much. Wish I could help you further.

I know the following doesn't help with your problem but, if the screens are mostly for gaming use, have you considered replacing them with some large screens that have DP? Then you shouldn't have any problems AFAIK.

Yeah - for these reasons I am considering making the big investment and swapping out the TV's for monitors. I was thinking of the Samsung ARK 55" Gen 2's

Yeah - for these reasons I am considering making the big investment and swapping out the TV's for monitors. I was thinking of the Samsung ARK 55" Gen 2's

4 large screens with DP. It's from 2021 so surely there's more by now in 2024

Also if you don't mind going slightly smaller, I've been really happy with my Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED with DP. I bought mine when they first released it and it was $1,200 but I think they're down to only $800 now IIRC. Just throwing it out there as an option.

Also if you don't mind going slightly smaller, I've been really happy with my Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED with DP. I bought mine when they first released it and it was $1,200 but I think they're down to only $800 now IIRC. Just throwing it out there as an option.
Yup, it's model number starts with F048 or F48 or something like that.

There's also the LG 48GQ900-B.

UPDATE: The Gigabyte is the Aorus FO48U

There's Probably even more "TV size", 16:9, OLED, 120 Hz (or more) screens with DP input but those are a start.

UPDATE 2: I see the LG at Best Buy on sale for $900 - regular $1500 - and open box for $675.

Last edited:
darrenkell, contact Will from boosted media on yt, he is using triple 4k oled, maybe he came up with the solution.

edit: he is using oled monitors, connected via dp. for some reason I remembered them beeing lg oled tvs...

Last edited:
Wanted to note that this is Freesync and not G-Sync, although I believe I saw some possible workarounds to get G-Sync to work with it. I just never dug into it since I'm totally happy with it even without G-Sync.

Wanted to note that this is Freesync and not G-Sync, although I believe I saw some possible workarounds to get G-Sync to work with it. I just never dug into it since I'm totally happy with it even without G-Sync.
Freesync and G-Sync are the same thing unless the screen has a physically built-in G-Sync module which 90% of G-Sync monitors don't anymore.

Freesync and G-Sync are the same thing unless the screen has a physically built-in G-Sync module which 90% of G-Sync monitors don't anymore.
With the note that there's g-sync compatible "certified".
One of my teammates can't get g-sync compatible to work with his monitors upside down for smaller bezel above the wheelbase shaft.
If he deactivates surround and the vertical flip, it works.

Another teammate with g-sync compatible certified monitors can get it to work more or less.
It's smooth and it works, but the Hz jump around compared to without being vertically flipped (no difference if surround is disabled or not).

My real gsync monitor works flawlessly when vertically flipped. I couldn't test surround though.

However in my experience, 165 Hz is fast enough to not need any sync at all and I would recommend paying a bit more (if reasonably more) for 166 Hz or even more.
Gsync can be quite annoying when using alt+tab or wanting to use overlays etc.

With the note that there's g-sync compatible "certified".
One of my teammates can't get g-sync compatible to work with his monitors upside down for smaller bezel above the wheelbase shaft.
If he deactivates surround and the vertical flip, it works.

Another teammate with g-sync compatible certified monitors can get it to work more or less.
It's smooth and it works, but the Hz jump around compared to without being vertically flipped (no difference if surround is disabled or not).

My real gsync monitor works flawlessly when vertically flipped. I couldn't test surround though.

However in my experience, 165 Hz is fast enough to not need any sync at all and I would recommend paying a bit more (if reasonably more) for 166 Hz or even more.
Gsync can be quite annoying when using alt+tab or wanting to use overlays etc.
I had multiple different monitors all work perfectly with G-Sync (no module) and flipped vertically. That's unfortunate that the vertical flip option is disabling G-Sync or making the Hz (and/or framerate) erratically jump around for your teammates. If it's indeed an Nvidia issue, I wonder if many others experience it and, if so, if Nvidia is aware of it.

I would never recommend no G-Sync / Freesync / VRR even if over 165 Hz. You can easily still experience tearing as well as tons of stutters / frame-skipping due to the framerate and refresh rate not matching. I've used 240 Hz monitors at over 240 fps and the stutters are easily still visible and jarring. Some game-engines are not as bad as others.

Last edited:
darrenkell, contact Will from boosted media on yt, he is using triple 4k oled, maybe he came up with the solution.

edit: he is using oled monitors, connected via dp. for some reason I remembered them beeing lg oled tvs...
Boosted Media runs Triple HP OMEN X Emperium 65". Together with the ASUS PG65UQ, these 2 screens were released in 2018 when Nvidia brought out its BFGD (Big Format Gaming Display) format.

They were both G-Sync Ultimate, which explains why Boosted Media can get G-Sync working so easily across his triples.

Acer also announced a BFGD Predator 65" display, but I never saw it released in the wild.

Unfortunately, the BFGD displays with the G-Sync module inside the screen seemed to die with above, and the 2 that made it to production were stopped a few years ago.

Since then, Nvidia has loosened its BFGD definition to also include large FreeSync screens it certifies as G-Sync Compatible (e.g. some of today's large TVs).

Back in January 2024, Nvidia announced its new G-Sync Pulsar tier, bringing their certification to 4 tiers:
- G-Sync Compatible
- G-Sync
- G-Sync Ultimate
- G-Sync Pulsar

That announcement stated "...At CES 2024, our partners unveiled 24 new G-SYNC gaming monitors, displays and TVs, from a 16 inch portable monitor, all the way up to 97 inch TVs...".

However the large screens specs in the above list of 24 G-Sync Pulsar screens, are only G-Sync Compatible (i.e. no G-Sync module built into the screen).

At the end of the day, there was no announcement of new large G-Sync (with module) screens at CES, which was really disappointing and begs the question, what is the future of G-Sync screens with the built-in module?

Boosted Media runs Triple HP OMEN X Emperium 65". Together with the ASUS PG65UQ, these 2 screens were released in 2018 when Nvidia brought out its BFGD (Big Format Gaming Display) format.

They were both G-Sync Ultimate, which explains why Boosted Media can get G-Sync working so easily across his triples.

Acer also announced a BFGD Predator 65" display, but I never saw it released in the wild.

Unfortunately, the BFGD displays with the G-Sync module inside the screen seemed to die with above, and the 2 that made it to production were stopped a few years ago.

Since then, Nvidia has loosened its BFGD definition to also include large FreeSync screens it certifies as G-Sync Compatible (e.g. some of today's large TVs).

Back in January 2024, Nvidia announced its new G-Sync Pulsar tier, bringing their certification to 4 tiers:
- G-Sync Compatible
- G-Sync
- G-Sync Ultimate
- G-Sync Pulsar

That announcement stated "...At CES 2024, our partners unveiled 24 new G-SYNC gaming monitors, displays and TVs, from a 16 inch portable monitor, all the way up to 97 inch TVs...".

However the large screens specs in the above list of 24 G-Sync Pulsar screens, are only G-Sync Compatible (i.e. no G-Sync module built into the screen).

At the end of the day, there was no announcement of new large G-Sync (with module) screens at CES, which was really disappointing and begs the question, what is the future of G-Sync screens with the built-in module?
I think he just needs the monitor to have DP to work correctly. Hardware G-Sync or not shouldn't matter if the screen is DP.

I use triple 4k LG OLEDs on a 4090. It works great at 120hz. However, I my LGs have display port and the 4090 has 3 display port. I have heard that triple HDMI 4k is harder to achieve reliably.
Are you using LG UltraGear gaming monitors, or LG OLED TVs?

If it is the UltraGear, then they are DisplayPort enabled and makes total sense that they run at Triple 4K @ 120Hz on a graphics card that has 3 DisplayPorts.

But if they are LG TVs, how did you do it?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.