Anyone thinking of switching from G2 to Vive Pro2?

VR is a compromise equation.

We have come to not expect perfection so I think what most people including myself are looking for is the least compromised user experience at a fair price. That is of course very subjective. HP persuaded me to purchase a VR headset as they had (IMO) uniquely eliminated SDE. That was my deal-breaker.

I've been happy with performance overall - with the exception of the limited FOV. Every other problem it has (WMR, audio dropouts, cable management, etc, etc), I can live with. For me, the prospect of improving the FOV while not losing sharpness or re-introducing SDE is an appealing enough prospect to place a pre-order for the Vive Pro2. Unfortunately the "buy-to-try" culture of SIM related hardware is frustrating, though it is offset by the ease of reselling at a fair price thanks to ubiquitous supply problems.

What I think we all want is a Valve index 2 equipped with high pixel density panels and some new lens tech. In the meantime having watched and read some reviews , I am fully expecting G2 to Vive2 to be a side-grade, rather than an upgrade having to get used to some new compromises with the Vive. I'll let this forum know my personal experiences - and perhaps more importantly which one I end up keeping.

I'm interested to hear other users experiences and thoughts.

Not me, keeping my g2. I think the extra res might kill performance and I'm already on a 5900x / 3080. I'd love extra horizontal fov, but there is a decent sacrifice for vertical fov. Might be tough to see dash and the virtual rear view. I think it could be a good upgrade for those on older HMDs or without one at all.

Let us know your thoughts though! I'm not totally against upgrading if it turns out to be a decent upgrade.

Upvote 0
Having read and watched a number of less favourable reviews I bottled it in the end and requested a refund. The fact that base stations are difficult to get (V.2.0) without price gouging sealed the anti-deal.

Vive were quite quick to respond to the request though I am still waiting for the money.

I'm back in love with my G2 - until the Index 2 is out that is...

Upvote 0
Sorry for my ignorance on the new headset, but can it be used for simracing without the base station and controllers? I see it being sold separately and seeing as how I only simrace, haven't touched my G2 controllers in months.

I'd also be concerned if my machine could keep up even though the PC is relatively new.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back