Anyone kind enough to give some feedback before I embarrass myself in front of my competitors?

I wish I did not **** up the recording, but I want to show you my times for RACE 07 at Monza with 2007 WTCC BMW driven by Alex Zanardi.

Take a look at this photo of my Top 2 times and if I can find a decent free software that actually does effective in-game recording, I will show footage of my next lap on that track.

Right now, I am scared of embarrassing myself like I did on F1 Championship Edition on PS3 when I played with a bunch of ***holes who performed NASCAR-like tactics like bumping you off the tarmac :mad: and seeing the best lap on a track as a 0:58.700-0:59.900 :confused: .

I was also embarassed at myself when I did practise laps on F1 Challenge and rFactor with F1 cars by spinning and slow myself entirely when I **** a corner up.

Anyways, here are the two photos:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lion_soul5/screenshot/578964650876706896/?tab=public

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lion_soul5/screenshot/578964650876707724/?tab=public

Right now, I am scared of embarrassing myself like c

2min17 does suck, so I strongly urge you to read about how to drive a sim, cause you really need to be aiming for 2min05 and better.....2min flat is often the pole time online.
Otherwise, the most important thing about racing with others is obeying the rules and being respectful, then you'll find most people will be happy to help, however atm, you need to learn technique and put that into practice.

One thing I notice is that in your first screenshot, you are almost hitting the rev limiter in 5th as you cross the start/finish line. Since the 07 BMW has 5 gears, that means you are topping out far before it would be ideal to. (It's common practice to set up your gears to top out just as you reach the fastest point on a track, which at Monza is the straght before T1.)

What I'd suggest first is extending your top gear a couple of clicks, and then balancing out your other gears in accordance with that. It will give you an extra bit of speed down the straights, which will improve your time as long as you are careful about your braking points.

Then you can begin to work on your actual driving technique. Monza is the kind of track that is somewhat difficult to get a good time at, especially in a touring car. Choosing a braking point, controlling your braking, choosing the right point to accelerate from, hitting your marks in the corners - all of these are an essential part of a lap at any track, but are especially important at this track because of the high speeds.

2:01-2:02s are my average laptimes at Monza in the BMW, just for reference.

Minis are also good for starting to learn setup, since there's less you can adjust and the ranges are smaller.

This makes it less likely that you'll be way off, though I still manage it often. :roflmao:

Oh and I wouldn't worry about embarrassing yourself. I have:
- made an Opel Commodore fly,
- crashed into the safety car,
- crashed at the second last corner of a 60 minute race all by myself,
- put slicks on when the track was flooded,
- ran out of fuel at the last corner of the RDTCC.

and that's just what I can remember.

EDIT: Oh and crashing into the only other car on track:

If I may add (though not exactly Race 07)

Being alone on a section of track and impaling my boss 302 on a guard rail and a fence. :O_o: The boss was completely stuck and not recoverable.
Also flying in a different ford on one of the last laps.

In the latter I cleared a section of fence farther along out of the shot and landed on my wheels but the car continued sliding and fell off the edge of the world. :(

There are plenty more occasions of embarrassment, but most are not really notable. :p

You just have to keep racing.:thumbsup:

I just ran my first ever club event with RD after being convinced by some members to come drive with them even though I felt I was not prepared or fast enough yet. I don't regret it at all, here at RD you'll find that most if not all are great people so as long as you behave well and don't cause trouble you won't ever be laughed at or mocked like you have encountered elsewhere.

As for being slow, practice practice practice! During the qual on my first club event I managed to reduce my best lap by 3 seconds! I was SO happy! Ofc I was still waaaay off the pace of the ones at the front and finished far back 1 lap behind many of the others, but I improved and felt it, that's what mattered. So just get signed for club events and make sure you drive safely in races, and I'm sure you'll both have fun and improve in the process. :)

Been there, i think most of us have been there.. The good thing is that there's zero trolls in club races, even the teens here act like responsible adults on track. In my 3-4 years here, i can think of two instances where some wrecked intentionally and trolled others. Those who act like that are being kicked out pretty fast, this all takes time that we have to take from somewhere else, it's not casual gaming where you pick up a controller and play for 10 minutes. Most people know it and laptimes are in the bottom of the importance pile, safety and friendly competition comes first. Be sure to look out for Friendly Developement series, all thou there has been no talk about a next lesson for a while now.

One thing is to get yourself a tutor that trains you online, it's hard to get anyone willing to do it but if you do, it's invaluable to have a seasoned veteran sitting in the car and giving advices.. During Club race practice it's useful to ask tips and you get fast responses so even if you are not comfortable to race, you can always pop in and practice with others. Having other people on track will make you faster, trust me.. Just by having them around makes you push a little bit more than what you do when driving offline. I drop that last second only when i'm chasing or being chased by someone... Online practice with friends is easily the fastest way to learn..

....it's invaluable to have a seasoned veteran sitting in the car and giving advices....

An often overlooked feature of the sim is the ability to see how someone else is driving the course from their point of view. When you choose DRIVE from the menu and instead of driving, press the "+" or "-" key on the keypad, you'll be seeing the driver ahead or behind you on the time sheet. You can see their gear, rpm and speed, listen to to the motor as they feather power and see the line they use. This is what Kennett means by having a pro in your seat. It's also an especially good tool for you to use instead of driving, to watch a fast driver and see his choices around the track, it's quite a beautiful thing!

Of course, it's kind of useless if you pick the AI!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 6.6%