Anyone else have to use their Sim cockpit as a gaming rig as well?

Basically I want a solid racing cockpit with a bolted down seat as opposed to a computer chair. But my dilema is I also play other games on my PC as well as use it as my regular computer. I wanted to see some of your all in one solutions. Maybe a rig wit some sort of moving keyboard tray?

20190826_183720 (2).jpg

Hi Greg. I use my rig for normal PC use too. I have the Simlab P1 and have mounted the keyboard table from Obutto that swings away when racing. For general use I swing it above my legs and rest the unsupported side on my sequential shifter for support. It works really well for me. I've also added mounts for the Warthog HOTAS sticks. I can send more pictures of how I've mounted everything if you would like, but I wanted to let you know it is possible. I scratched my head for a while trying all different setups and scoured forums everywhere that people showed off their rigs.
Excuse the pic I like to embarrass my son with.

Upvote 0
View attachment 338678
Hi Greg. I use my rig for normal PC use too. I have the Simlab P1 and have mounted the keyboard table from Obutto that swings away when racing. For general use I swing it above my legs and rest the unsupported side on my sequential shifter for support. It works really well for me. I've also added mounts for the Warthog HOTAS sticks. I can send more pictures of how I've mounted everything if you would like, but I wanted to let you know it is possible. I scratched my head for a while trying all different setups and scoured forums everywhere that people showed off their rigs.
that setup is awesome.. I would gladly accept some more pictures. Thank you..

Upvote 0
View attachment 338678

I love those big speakers blasting you right in the face.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Word of caution on that Obutto keyboard tray. It's thick, solid steel, heavy plate, with sharp edges, and can cause some serious damage when swinging on the pivot mount, almost guillotine like.
I have tried it on my RS1, removed after a few days of use.
Rseat makes some better designed keyboard trays, if you cold fit one on 80/20 rig, it's heavy too, but has lip around and features better build and articulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thread with some ideas

Upvote 0
Word of caution on that Obutto keyboard tray. It's thick, solid steel, heavy plate, with sharp edges, and can cause some serious damage when swinging on the pivot mount, almost guillotine like.
I have tried it on my RS1, removed after a few days of use.
Rseat makes some better designed keyboard trays, if you cold fit one on 80/20 rig, it's heavy too, but has lip around and features better build and articulation.
Yeah Andrew. The Obutto keyboard tray is one large, heavy bit of kit. I couldn't believe the weight of it in the hands. I don't have any sharp edges though, even the square tubing underneath is smooth. I looked at the Rseat keyboard trays but the mouse area is quite small, I wouldn't be able to use that size for general gaming.

Upvote 0
Here are a few more pics. To mount the keyboard tray I just used a small bit og profile going horizontal. I had to use a bit of wood under the tray otherwise it would be metal on metal and quite slippy. You do need to rest the tray on something though as it is really heavy and will sag.

20191213_173213.jpg
20191213_173251.jpg
20191212_184640.jpg
20191213_173419.jpg
20191213_173649.jpg
20191212_184554.jpg

Upvote 0
@trunky4545 Did you design that completely on your own or did you use the SimLab keyboard tray as a basis.
I`ve got the Simlabs one and thinking of converting it to just about what you showed in your pics.
Good work there. Love it. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
DIY

1 40x40 150 mm
1 40x40 500 mm
1 plaquette 200 mm x 500 mm
2 connectors

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals