Any of you use lower than 900 degrees steering?

EDIT: Sorry, title should have been more complete- 'Any of you use degrees rotation much lower than 900deg?'

I posted this in the AssettoCorsa site but have no replies yet, so I'm trying here.

Is there any of you who has set Profiler and in-game degrees rotation to a value lower, say 450? I last had mine set this way, and in-game set to 270, having tried it so far with 458, M3 GT2, Z4 GT3, and even recently the Exige, and they seem easier to maneuver than at 900deg. Actually most recent I've tried at 220 (in both Profiler and in-game) and it still seems fine, even better, and find 900 too much rotation. Any inputs on this that I may be missing? I mentioned in an earlier thread though that I'm relatively new to sim racing, having played only w/ F1 2012/2013 so far.

I doubt there is a problem w/ setting this up too because the changes seem to take effect, so I'm sure its working. Though I've read threads indicating different cars have different standard degrees of rotation, but the lower settings I mentioned above seemed to apply fine to those 5 cars, and I believe the standard degrees of rotation for those cars are higher. Do any of you use lower values than 900? I'd appreciate any inputs too on going w/ this lower setting.

Then there are lots of arcade players, including myself.

Opinions are fine but you don't need to classify people as non-serious sim racers based on the rotation of their wheel. People that reverse on track ramming you off the circuit are non-serious.

There are plenty of people out there with gamepads and even joysticks that do a fine job when it comes to clean high quality racing.

Ehm maybe because the most realistic driving experience is 540 degrees as most GT cars use in real life.

Not bashing you, but this remark is slightly ignorant; when you use 900 degrees in the profiler and 900 degrees in AC, AC will set the correct degrees of rotation per car.

I.e.; if you use 900 degrees and jump into the Fabarth, AC will adjust the amount of degrees to 270 (more or less). Without changing anything, jump into one of these GT cars, and automatically AC sets 540 degrees. Why fiddle with it if the developpers know the most realistic amount of degrees and set it for you in the game?

If you want realism and if you want to know how Aris and Stefano want these cars to 'feel', simply use 900 degrees.

Thanks for the inputs, got to review them further.

@michael hornbuckle, for me I guess it's more of what setup allows the driver to maneuver better w/ least effort, and not what the type of racing is concerned, and the lower angle does this for me. Not that I'm doing the best laps, but so far this is what seems to handle best for me. The reason I asked is because, like what most have posted, and what I've read in others, the angle that I'm currently comfortable w/ is way below what's common, between 450-540, so I wanted to get inputs as I might be missing something, being new to sim racing. Just tried again w/ the GT3 and 240 feels fine, and at 450 it already felt too much unnecessary rotation. Obviously if I push and start to notice instability, then I would try increasing it.

Not bashing you, but this remark is slightly ignorant; when you use 900 degrees in the profiler and 900 degrees in AC, AC will set the correct degrees of rotation per car.

I.e.; if you use 900 degrees and jump into the Fabarth, AC will adjust the amount of degrees to 270 (more or less). Without changing anything, jump into one of these GT cars, and automatically AC sets 540 degrees. Why fiddle with it if the developpers know the most realistic amount of degrees and set it for you in the game?

If you want realism and if you want to know how Aris and Stefano want these cars to 'feel', simply use 900 degrees.

@Requiem84, just read this after I posted. So in AC, do I still have to perform calibration or just set it to 900 degrees? I ask because after performing the calibration steps, it sets my DFGT to around 220degrees. Do I reset it to 900 degrees after calibration, and AC automatically sets it based on selected car?

@Requiem84 I am currently racing only two cars in AC and they drive fine with my own settings.

I drive more games than just AC, hasn't really got my interest if there is no multiplayer available, and I don't want to spend any precious time on setting up my wheel settings all the time so I stick to what I am familiar with (arcade styleee ;)).

In AC i use 920º with fanatec gt3 to match 1:1 with the virtual wheel on screen ... i think thats the way you should set it if you want to simulate the real car steering wheel ... just adjust rotation degrees until it matches the virtual wheel on screen ... if you set lower degrees because you find its more easy or more fun then you are not trying to simulate but just trying to find your way to be faster or simply to enjoy AC without caring about simulation ... both ways are valid depending on what your aim is

I was readjusting the wheel to match the rotation on screen but after I heard Aris said just leave it at 900 I have (which body of water does he want me to jump in? I'll start the car:laugh:). My first wheel was a thrustmaster F430 so I'm happy to be away from it's twitchiness.

I do set the wheel for 540 in games like RBR but it suits that kind of racing.

Does AC automatically adjust the wheel so you're getting 1:1 with 900?

For Assetto Corsa i have the rotation set to 900 degrees because as has already been stated, the rotation adjusts depending on the car.. ( I hate driving the street cars :D I'm sooo slow in them with 900 degrees)

For other games i use between 270 & 540 degrees.

I have to admit,i had the wheel set on 240 in Race 07 with car set at 14-16 steering lock.
After trying the TP and seen how good and close to real it is set to 900...right now i cant turn it back to 240 or whatever.
I even tried Race 07 with 900 and maximum steering lock i belive its 31 or something like that,even if the wheel didnt match with the ingame one,still feels better like this...so i am happy with my new found degrees of rotation 900!!!! hehehehe :p

My t500 rs f1 wheel is currently set at 540 in device manager. I have 540 set in AC and race 07, GSA etc too at the moment. I used to run 1080 but with the f1 wheel you can't turn the wheel more than about 200 each way anyway....
I am trying to re train my hands for the sim wheel to be more reactive, this is to try and be smoother on my kart. I used to suffer pretty bad from exit oversteer, turns out the front was gripping up too much and with less than smooth inputs i was loosing time. I watched a helmet cam of myself not too long ago and noticed that my hands are all over the place, sawing away on entry to high speed corners and over correcting on exit/ power sliding.

Smoother is better so I'm gradually coming down in degrees in my sim racing to be that way :)

I usually leave lock alone at 900 cause I drive the street cars...

I don't know if it's everyone's experience but in the smaller lock cars, the FFB just stops applying when I turn outside the end of range in AC and nkP (not that hard to do in the 270 degree open wheelers if you try to catch oversteer). Which is why if I was driving those regularly I'd change the lock in the profiler to match; having FFB stops at the ends is nicer for me.

600 for drifting because I'm pretty bad but still wanted those achivements.
When hotlapping I found that setting rotation 1 to 1 actually helps. My logic is that if you need to catch big slide lap is wasted anyway, on the other hand you get more precision.

Setting rotation below 900 is a bit less realistic... and that is all. I don't sit in racing overalls, balaclava and helmet so this is also unrealistic. If I found car where setting smaller rotation makes me more competitive and increases my game enjoyment I wouldn't think twice about changing it. I would also strongly disagree with opinion in your first post @Michael Hornbuckle. This looks like an attempt on public shaming because other kids don't play according to your rules so they should GTFO from our super secret simracing community. Difference from 1 to 1 is less realistic? Sure! But that don't means that it suddenly makes people not worthy touching AC or even other sims because obviously they are crooks. Also telling that something like this makes game arcade... so playing NFS with 900 degrees make it equal to AC? Crying wolf stops being effective at some point.

Is using less than recommended settings arcade? Nope - arcade is being bothered with leaderboards. Drive your game to be happy and have fun!

I thinks everyones comments above show its a matter of taste where it to comes to wheel rotation. I dont think anybody who uses less than the 900 setting would argue for street cars its not 'true' 1:1, but it works for them well, gets the desired result on track, suits their other games and puts smiles on the drivers face - and thats all that matters really.

Before AC I was dedicated to 540degs, served me well for rF1/2/GSC. Coming from the Codies F1xx series I was more familiar using left foot clutch pedal braking and 360.
I continued using clutch pedal left foot braking until now.

Since AC I have tried the 540 and 900 rotations, and various pedal combos, H patten enabled / disabled

I am convinced I would be quicker on track with 540 and left foot clutch pedal braking - but I have decided to go down the realism 900, H-pattern, manual clutch (and for the record no assists) route.
Yes I chose the 1:1 realism flavour, hopefully try learning this heal-toe shizz I hear about all the time because thats what I want to get out of the game.

I tried going back to my old settings and it got very messy on track indeed. All I want to do is improve my techniques and once you decide on which way you want to go, stick to it.

PS. Not played anything other than AC since 0.1 :D

Sorry that so many of you are hurt over my comment but I stick with it.....Why should Kunos bother trying to make a sim as realistic as possible if even the people that say they want realism game it up to be easier? How are people going to comment on the physics when they aren't driving the car realistically?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%