Amount of controls on sim racing wheels...

3 rotarys does not cut it at all in 2020, just in ACC with GT3 cars You need 6 rotarys: 1 for ECU MAP, 1 for ABS, 1 for TC1, 1 for TC2, another for brake balance, and would be nice to have other 2 to control the car high and low beam in just 1 rotary and the wipers speeds (yes, ACC allows it).

This comment on the Fanatec BMW wheel thread got me thinking...

I’ve been sim racing for a couple years now, but I would consider myself a “basic” sim racer - by “basic” I mean I step on the brake and gas and turn the wheel. I am wanting to get more involved than just brake/gas/steering wheel. Do all these changes available to real race car drivers in GT3, F1 cars, etc, actually make a difference in sims?

The reason I ask is because I just bought the PSE GT3 wheel, and now I’m wondering if it doesn’t have enough buttons/rotaries. PSE just released an LM-X wheel and it definitely has more controls. I’m considering getting that in addition to the GT3 wheel if those extra buttons and rotaries would actually be used.

It depends on the game, and the setting, IMO. But in short... Yes - they can make a profound difference. Do I think you "need" 6 rotaries? No. Would I like to have 6, probably lol. I'm no alien, but some of the changes can be significant even for me. Now all that said, you can usually map whatever you have to make the changes you want. It may just not be as convenient as turning one knob left or right.

Upvote 0
The reasons you need a fancy-shaped steering wheel with lots of buttons, rotaries, labels, etc. are basically:

- You are only interested in F1 or GT3
- You use are a pro driver, use your sim to compete at high level and need to make frequent adjustments during the race to tune your car and save every millisecond.
- You want to show off your expensive and high-tech steering wheel
- You want your steering wheel to look like the real thing in those cars.
- You want your rig to look impressive on photos.

However, if you, like me, use your sim to have fun driving all kind of cars in VR, I find no reason to have a single button on my steering wheel. For me, they are distracting and useless. I can focus on the steering, using of course a round-shaped rim.

I don't use paddle shifters either (I have a sequential gear lever), which, together with the lack of buttons, means there's no need for an annoying coiled cable and I can have several rims and swap them quickly and easily (I own a MOMO and a Sparco).

The controls I need are on a separate button box (pause, exit, restart, lights, center the headset, replay, control the volume, the time and the force feedback, etc.) and I don't need to use many of them while driving.

The only controls I have for quick access are on fixed mounts behind my steering wheel. I have them mapped to single wiper action and horn. The former is needed for instance for rally driving, when you run over a water splash and you need to quickly clean your windshield. However, since now I only play Assetto Corsa, I rarely use these two buttons anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm primarily a GT3 guy and don't get into the myriad of buttons and rotaries but there are, I find, a few essentials:
  • Button for pit limiter
  • If the sim offers - button for neutral
  • Funky switch for pit stop adjustments
  • Button for lights
  • Button for wipers
I tend not to mess around with fuel maps, traction control nor abs during a race though I'm heading in that direction as I do longer and longer races. Brake bias is oft used but I have that on a separate button box and not on wheel.

I'm not an uber serious sim-racer. Been at it for a few years now but I'm not racing 20 hours a week. Some weeks I barely get in a couple of hours. My new Simagic GT wheel, imo, is the perfect wheel regarding available buttons. Easy to remember via muscle memory so I'm not hunting thru a bunch of dials, rotaries, buttons and switches.

My .02 cents.

Upvote 0
I had asked this same basic question a little while ago, coming from the position that I was less interested in simulating modern F1, etc., than I was about classic racing. My question was "can I get away with just a wheel, pedals and shifter", as in "will I be unable to race in some games" rather than "what are nice-to-haves"?

Thus far, my build (in-progress) has a bare wheel and no explicit driving button-box. But I am building a combined fly / drive cockpit, and my flight-control throttle has some switches and buttons that would be convenient to use for things like lights and wipers.

However, I have been intending to use VR much of the time (G2 finally on its way!). I think some of those buttons and switches are positioned handily enough for use even in VR (for non-spit-second use, e.g. lights and wipers), but I won't be sure until I can try.

But in addition - and here's the real trouble - I love shiny electronics and gadgets, and money isn't a big problem, so it's been hard to resist clicking "buy" on that lovely Ascher, etc., button box or wheel. Still, I resist! (So far...)

Getting directly to your question: I looked at that wheel you bought. Wow, very nice! That looks more than sufficient! If you get into VR, I doubt you could use more than what that has anyway, and certainly not a display. But if you want more and have the means, I wouldn't say anything except go for it!

Upvote 0
Nice to have? Yes. Need to have? No. I'm usually on or near the podium when racing and I dont have a single rotary on my G27. I have the most needed things on the wheel buttons and my tablet button box which is just fine. I almost never do any adjustments except for engine mix throughout a race.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also consider that it's not the same a button box on a F1-style steering wheel than a button box on a a round steering wheel with other kind of cars. In the former your hands are on a fixed position and the turning degree is minimum, so no drama. With a street car or a rally car (especially with the older ones), the degree of rotation is much higher and the driving style makes your release and move your hands very often from the 9-3 position. This means that the placement of your buttons will be constantly rotating. Combined with being blind in VR, it will be funny to see you caressing the button box on your steering wheel trying to find where that damned button is. With a separate button box, your just have to stretch your arm and place your fingers on the buttons, quickly identifying where the desired function is. I use a matrix of 6 buttons (3 rows and 3 colums), for use with my second, third and fourth fingers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes