AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Don't know about your CPU, but mine, left all stock, got no lower than .98 V, and only very rarely. In an all-core load scenario, it stayed very close to 1.33 V even after prolonged benchmarking, and that was at close to 85C. And yes, with lower load, it got as high as 1.45 V on individual cores.

So I really can't see how 1.18 V at 70C max (and roughly 45-50C in idle or during low-ish general load) could be worse for the CPU than that, even if the voltage stays constant. It's basically just a fictional scenario where the CPU stays permanently under an all-core load (though not really, because internally it still seems to power down/clock down, just not externally), but with much better voltages and thermals than what it would get if left at stock. The worst factors for possible degradation are temperature and voltage, with temperature generally being considered more important (not that it means you can go crazy on voltage with low enough temperature), and both have been lowered significantly.

Last edited:
I've fixed my voltage in the BIOS, yet in ryzen master it quite clearly shows the voltage sits below that if the cores are not under load, and it just uses the 'fixed' value as the 'max peak' value when stress testing. I have it open now and it tells me average core coltage is 0.6 (4 cores currently in sleep) and peak has been 1.0, even though its set to 1.28v fixed in the bios

I'm no overclocking expert (well I used to be quite knowledgable on the topic back in the Celeron 300A days but that was 20 years ago :roflmao:) but I'm inclined to agree with your thinking, its just that some forum discussions I read on the topic seemed to speak quite strongly against doing it for some reason but I guess that may be more targetted at those who need to run voltages closer to 1.3v in order to achieve a decent overclock. Anyway although I don't want it to fail too prematurely if in a couple of years time I need to replace the CPU it wouldnt be the end of the world, by that time something like a 3950x might be quite a reasonably priced upgrade even if the new Zen 3's aren't being supported on the B450 platform I have!

It was so simple back then, just bump up the FSB and away you went with an immediate 50+% overclock! Now it requires intimate understanding of about 30 different technologies and acronyms just to gain about 5% :D

Like my 3200G is understatement
No PB , SMT or anything else to worry about

vs stock i5- 7600K also 4C/4T

Untitled 2.jpg

@ IDLE :roflmao:

Untitled 1.jpg

I use same for 3900X ie: sacrifice speed for power and temp

I think it should be realised by now that you can only ever expect 2 or maybe 3 generations of CPU to work on a particular socket, the B450 and X470 have now had 3, the 1000 series 2000 series and the 3000 series, I dont think thats a fault on AMD, thats actually been the way of it from Intel and AMD for a good few years now, upgrading to the next socket should afford you 2 or maybe 3 generations of upgrades and in the grand scheme of things I think thats very fair.

I purchased the z390 and 9900k last year and theres no upgrade path for this as it already supported 8th gen and 9th gen Intel CPU's.

I don't really understand the commotion. They originally promised support of the current platform to 2020. And they kept their promise. It's unfortunate that you will need a new MB for Zen 3, but not unexpected.

Also, if you've recently bought a B450 or X470 MB, a two years old platform at this point, I have to wonder why it didn't occur to you there might not be that much of a future for it, especially given the fact mentioned above.

I mean I understand it's annoying to change more than just the CPU when upgrading, and more expensive too. I just don't really understand why so many people seem to be so upset about it and feeling "betrayed".

if you listened to manufacturers (not sure of the exact wording but MSI are selling some boards as 4000 series ready) and the tech press, B450/X570 had a future. Bear in mind Hardware Unboxed , Gamers Nexus etc, have pushed B450/X470 as being good for future upgrades

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know what to tell you.

Mugged myself? What? I knew quite well what I was getting into (I've been thinking about it for months, but couldn't really do it), was also well aware of the fact it's not exactly an amazing bang for the buck type of upgrade, and I actually managed to be pleasantly surprised by it being a better refresh of my system than I expected. I have absolutely no regrets about doing it. So I'm really not sure what you're talking about. It kinda feels like you are annoyed with me telling you some things you don't like and trying to find a bit of a petty way to get back at me, to be honest, and I certainly hope that's just my imagination, because that would be silly.

Last edited:
You shouldnt need news to break for it to be fairly obvious a socket that was over 2 years old didnt have an unlimited upgrade path, like I said there had been 3 generations of CPU for that socket, thats more than most get before they move on. To be honest you should be fine for a few years anyhoo with what youve chosen so wouldnt worry about it and I wouldnt go putting anyone elses choice down because you made a small mistake in your choice.

Better explained here by Steve at H/Ued.
I'm very happy with my current setup, so I don't really think it'll affect me much.
MSI may have a class-action on their hands though...according to what he reported on the advertising of some motherboards.
Hope it doesn't go to that extreme.

I bought a B450 board a couple of months ago, do I regret it? Not very much. The X570 boards are twice more expensive and have nothing I need, plus most of them include the annoying chipset fan. If I ever want to upgrade to Ryzen 4, I can buy a B550 board and still probably end up saving money compared to having bought an X570 board. AMD could have avoided this though by not delaying B550 release by almost a year.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 6.4%