Alright when was that again.....?

Having only started watching F1 in 2014, and seeing only bits and pieces of it no earlier than roughly 2004, I never heard this man's commentary live on television. Like others, I only heard it on select videos on youtube. Even still, I liked what I heard, and prefer his voice vs. who there is now doing what he enjoyed.

To me, any commentator of any sport is like a narrator for audio books, documentaries, whatever. There have been, and always will be those whose voices, presentation, and choice of words are memorable; and then there's everyone else. Murray Walker will always stand out from everyone else, period.

While it may be sad we won't hear him narrate any more motorsport, be happy and grateful any of us did hear him at all.

On that note, I have an urge to go to youtube to hear him narrate some of the classics, I guess they could be called. Including some with James Hunt, now one of those waiting for him at the gates, possibly with a microphone.

Last edited:
Having already commented, maybe too much, on some of the individual topics for some of the cars, I'll just list them with no more than couple of sentences each best to worst in my own amateur opinion.

Alpine: Beautiful from front to back and one that is very proud to be French and with it own shade of French blue. It's not just a car company's livery; it's France's livery,which seems to be the goal here.

Alpha Tauri: I actually like this one more than last year's. It's simpler, yet still recognizable and stands out from everyone else. Not much to hate about this one.

McLaren: Not much for changes from last season, but that's not a bad thing. Glad they reduced the rainbow near the back that I found too distracting and clashed too much with the rest of the car. It's a McLaren painted McLaren orange, as it should be. Granted, McLaren has multiple shades of orange in its color wheel so maybe next time they could pick a better shade of orange. Ferrari's done so with red in the past, why not McLaren?

Alfa Romeo: I liked last year's livery better than this one, but still, this one's not bad. Not much else for changes, but not bad either.

Ferrari: I think its one of those "trying to please everyone" liveries for those that like the traditional Ferrari red liveries of the past couple of decades and those that actually liked the 1000 special livery. Personally I wish they left the burgundy with that livery and I hope they never use that green MW more than once and burn the decals afterwards. Other than that, I do like the classic numbers. But yes, it should be Rosso Corsa with black and stainless silver wings again before the decade ends. Period.

Red Bull: Not much for changes, but it's like the uniform of a classic sports team; an unchanging classic that most may not like by itself but one that can grow on people.

Aston Martin: This would be higher in my mind if they actually used green on the car. To me, this will never be green, never mind British racing green. British racing green is a dark pine green like what Jaguar and Lotus before it used. This instead looks like a metallic shade of teal similar to that used for mints. Maybe it will work, but it needs to win first. At least it's not pink anymore. That alone is a vast improvement.

Mercedes: When I first commented on this livery, I felt it was one that hates its origins. Looking at it again, it looks like it was just designed by two different artists with two vastly different ideas on what is good and what isn't and neither could agree in time. Wait. Their names wouldn't happen to be Abrams and Johnson, would it?

Haas: Controversy aside, I think this car is still uninspired. The Russian tri-color on the car at multiple locations and nothing else but a blank background? Haas did better in the past, so what happened? Did the artists break one of Steiner's doors? Looks like it.

Williams: In the original thread for this car, I described it as an unfinished mess that belongs on a cruise liner. That hasn't changed, nor will it at this point. Awful, unfinished, and done by someone who didn't care about their job.

Last edited:
I think it's without exaggeration to say that without Murray Walker, formula 1 would not ever have been so successful.

Such an entertaining and fun style of commentary. Never to be matched.

Sunday spent watching classic F1 with Murray it is...........perfect. RIP.

Aston looks great, though I wish articles would quit with the "Aston Martin name returns to F1 after..." rubbish. A very forgettable 6(?) entries over two seasons nearly 70 years ago (or something like that).
Hardly a legacy.

As to the lighter shade of green, I wonder how much of that is for a tv/monitor viewing benefit. No idea, just tossing it out there.

Personally, as my native language is not English, I did not know it or at least I probably heard it.

Great commentators mark a life, a generation, generations and it is always a great loss to see them move on to new horizons. On the other hand, it reminds us that life is short and that we can only enjoy it.

Friends, driving enthusiasts, when will we have an online race to pay tribute to him?

1615712632407.jpeg

Haas new livery

Everyone has different taste but I can't see why anyone would like the Williams..... It's just too busy you can't actually see the lines of the car.

It's fair to say Aston is the best looking. All black Mercedes would be a tie or second place.

Alpha and Alpine done good... The rest nothing exciting.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.