Alright when was that again.....?

Remember when Mclaren and either Prost or Lauda seemed to win literally everything? zzz. It's how it's always been, albeit cars used to fall apart.

Exactly. F1 has always had these periods when one team dominated the sport. During the first season that I watched, 1978, Lotus was almost unbeatable with the ground effect. And it is true that in 1984 and 1988, McLaren won almost every race. So did Williams in 1992 and 1993. I could go on and on, but Mercedes’ domination right now is only one more example.

Only watch the highlights but even that had been lesser and lesser. I don't find it interesting due to the nature of the cars and the sport. It is more on the politics than the technology.

I am still a big fan of Formula 1, but it could be much more interesting if there were a few more teams capable of winning and going for the championship. I disagree with the comparison with the early 00s, because, even if Schumi were dominate, if was only really for 2 seasons; 2002 and 2004. Mercedes have had a cakewalk since 2014. So, Hamiltons records will never be ranked over Schumachers in my book.
I also love F1 because:
It's the pinnacle of motorsport
All it's history, I am a bit of a nerd, knowing a lot of stats.
The innovations and technology, I really loved the more free regs, when people like Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray and John Barnard got to shine.

Once you ignore the huge money, advertising, media, celebrities, interviews, fame and hype that surrounds Formula 1, the actual racing is very underwhelming and predictable compared to many other series of motorsports.

What is the point in the huge annual investment into the development of the fastest race cars on Earth when the cars cannot race together.

Apart from the lack of Ballance Of Performance, and the rules that exist which allow certain manufacturers to innovate and spend big in order to dominate consecutive seasons, there are a number of design elements fundamentally wrong with the cars. Including braking zones which are too short. The wheels are placed on the outside of the vehicles and are vulnerable to interlocking contact with other cars or taking flight. These further increase the unwillingness or inability to overtake unless aided by artificial KERS or DRS passing systems.

This is not proper racing. I don't sit on the edge of my seat watching this. They are not real passes.

In my opinion, any race series that requires DRS or any other form of push-to-pass system is fundamentally flawed and an offence to motorsport.

maybe.. you are a joke that you try to push your opinion every time. We know it! @crASH stappen & and the young wants. maybe you just grow old :whistling: ;)

He "pushes" his opinion just as you push yours, "every time". It's called expressing an opinion. If you feel offended by someone expressing an opinion, you should probably take a look inwards, not flame them for it like Stalin's kid. But you'll grow older too at some point, and maybe able to better see what that means.

I didn't say that that those problems are new:)

Some people seem to want Lewis to be exempt from the discussion though. There is no denying the Mercedes dominance has a huge effect and it is statistically an unprecedented level of sustained dominance. No champ in the recent history of F1 has had the level of team dominance that Lewis has enjoyed, he's probably the most gifted driver this gen, but we'll never really know (all we know for sure is he's marginally better than Button/Rosberg!). Like I said the "hybrid era" will not go down as one of F1s best and sadly for Lewis that will forever shadow his personal success.

I follow F1 since 1993, however I have to admit I am getting bored of it the last year. I love watching Norris, Leclerc, Verstappen and Russel, however when I see no one can challenge Mercedes again I am starting to get bored again and waiting for the last 10 laps of action.

I follow F1 since 1993, however I have to admit I am getting bored of it the last year. I love watching Norris, Leclerc, Verstappen and Russel, however when I see no one can challenge Mercedes again I am starting to get bored again and waiting for the last 10 laps of action.
Let’s be frank Frank you know you’ll never stop watching it you just love to complain like the rest of us folks. :p

I watch F1 in hope... been hoping for quite a few years. Top Sim racers could probably drive just as fast as F1 drivers nowadays if they are fit enough. It would be a different story if F1 was such that big balls and lots of stamina were required, and no engineering of the car by Houston space-centre setups during a race.
F1 genie is out of the bottle though and one way to make a F1 meeting more interesting and see what the driver pecking order really is, is for them to race something like Oz V8s on a Friday instead of all that lapping for the engineers.

1982 Monaco Grand Prix was my first as a TV-viewer, so from there I went for the unpredictable, the un-foreseen.

Today: The close midfield race.

So good to see Ferrari now willing to join real racing in that battle :D

He "pushes" his opinion just as you push yours, "every time". It's called expressing an opinion. If you feel offended by someone expressing an opinion, you should probably take a look inwards, not flame them for it like Stalin's kid. But you'll grow older too at some point, and maybe able to better see what that means.

well it's a bit of trolling don't you think? and if I give my opinion about it, it is correct for this. how often do I still need to read about crash stappen. Max does not crash. when did he crash? Did I miss something? when did he crash?

it is nothing more than /voting mood-building.

an opinion and an opinion is fine
and it's really just trolling. I do not like it

Last edited:
well it's a bit of trolling don't you think? and if I give my opinion about it, it is correct for this. how often do I still need to read about crash stappen. Max does not crash. when did he crash? Did I miss something? when did he crash?

it is nothing more than /voting mood-building.

an opinion and an opinion is fine
and it's really just trolling. I do not like it

some overhere are to stupid to have normal discussion with, you can’t be fan of some driver(s), there can be only one reason for this, braindamage.

I watched the two races this year more out of curiosity then real interest. Haven`t watched a race before in possibly 10-15 years.

The racing isn't any worse then in many other series. I don't like all the gimmicky technical stuff like DRS. I'd prefer hands on racing with simpler cars , not those growing out wings and winglets all over the car like smallpox. I am not a fan of any driver. Back then I liked the Rosbergs, Mansells, Villeneuves kind of guys. Todays drivers are too plain, which can be said for most series. They are schooled to represent their teams and sponsors.

It's also too political and the moment one team comes up with an advantage all the others protest. I remember McLaren winning 15 out of 16 (?) and it wasn't boring at all.

I grew up with F1 in the 80s and liked the more simpler times. But I admit there is a lot of nostalgia imvolved.
In those days where also dominating teams making many races a boring ride.

Do I find F1 interesting? No, not really. I watch it because I always have, and it's what got me interested in racing in the first place at a very young age. But I can't honestly say that I look forward to race days or feel much excitement during the race. In fact, without Sky TV I'm relegated to watching the races hours after the fact on Channel 4. Initially this bothered me, but now it doesn't... it just means I can watch whenever is convenient for me. (I often watch on Monday!)

If we're being honest, if we remove our rose-coloured spectacles then F1 has very often been a one or two horse race throughout it's history. So it's not necessarily Mercedes dominance that is boring me. It's not like the TV coverage shows a Merc driving around on it's own for 90 minutes, they focus on where the racing is, and it's the racing I want to see. I don't care if it's at the front, back, or somewhere in between, and I'm not overly bothered who wins.

One thing I miss from the "old days" is the obvious innovation and crazy ideas being brought to the cars. The fan car, active suspension, six wheels... it was fun seeing what the engineers would come up with next. The same kind of thing is happening now, but it's nearly all aero innovations which are "invisible" and make little sense to non-engineers. Yawn. I actually really enjoyed hearing about Mercedes "DAS" system this year, a real innovation making clever use of certain loopholes.

And one thing I hate is the gimmicks. By gimmick, I mean anything which tries to "force" overtaking by giving a car an unfair advantage over those in front. That isn't racing in my personal opinion. It's not fun, it's not exciting, it doesn't generate any gasps or admiration for the driver. It's just fake, cheap, brainless rubbish introduced by morons who think watching one car sail past another completely unopposed is somehow fun to watch. It's not.

DRS is desperately needed to have at least SOME overtaking.
Why? As mentioned above, how does watching one car fly past another which has no hope of defending against it make the "racing" any more fun or exciting? It's lame.

Instead of coming up with these stupid gimmicks, F1 should be taking charge of their own sport, changing the regulations to allow the cars to race naturally, and telling any team that whinges and whines that they are free to leave if they wish. I bet most would not, and I bet more groups would be interested in taking the place of any who did. The biggest mistake F1 ever made was allowing teams to have a say in anything whatsoever.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.