Alonso Shines, Sato Wins and Dixon Flies at the Indy 500

Perhaps racing at Indy isnt all that difficult, with a well setup car its basically just pedal to the floor with the occasional lift in traffic. Mastering Indy is another matter with all its variables, but racing is fairly straight forward.

Alonso just can't get a break. Was my first time watching Indy 500, it was surprisingly good, I thought it would be boring but it was action packed, in between the safety cars, cautions and extremely frequent ad breaks. It's ok watching US TV every once in a while but the amount of ad breaks make it intolerable I wouldn't be willing to sit through that many ads for any other races.

Clicked the stream away after some 75 laps, after another caution. After Pau, Monaco (FP/Q), Nurburgring 24h (Classic last 30min), Monaco GP, British GT @ Snetterton... Had enough. Gutted for Fernando when i read it on twitter.

• Deleted member 205301

So glad for sato ...and a very impressive and intense edition, that was nice, grats guys
@++

It was my first time watching Indy500 on site. It was amazing experience. I agree that it might appear that luck plays a big part in the race, but it is fantastic for the spectators. I'm so glad that I booked my seat early enough this year, and will watch the next year's race for sure. Also I'll start to go watch oval racing events and join the action.

Alonso would unfortunately find himself once again stepping away from a broken Honda engine when the orange #27 gave up the fight for life whilst running an impressive sixth position, just 20 laps from the chequered flag.​

Ahem, #29. :p

I read a preview somewhere stating that Honda engines in Indy were competitive and reliable. Looks like it wasn't just the colour scheme Alonso took over the Atlantic with him.

They have not been very reliable this year, many suspect they turned the wick up to try to catch up to Chevy this year which has led to some reliability issues. They've blown up several motors this year, including 8 in May alone.

Yeah I'll admit I only watched because alonso was racing in it, now that I've seen the Indy 500 I'll be sure to watch best year!

Awesome! It really is an entertaining race the last few years, and quite a spectacle!

Perhaps racing at Indy isnt all that difficult, with a well setup car its basically just pedal to the floor with the occasional lift in traffic. Mastering Indy is another matter with all its variables, but racing is fairly straight forward.

I think you're underestimating the skill and patience required to navigate traffic at 220+ mph for 500 miles. I'm sure all 33 drivers will tell you the racing is anything but straightforward.

If you win you have some say in what you wanna drink I guess.
Emmo drank Brazilian Orange Juice I remembered.

Yes, and he was boo'd and hated in Indianapolis for many years after that for daring to break tradition (Indy fans hold tightly to their traditions, perhaps a bit too tightly).

All in all a great race and a great day to be at the track, beautiful weather and a massive crowd. I sat in the infield grandstand between turns 1 and 2, I missed Dixon's crash as I'd gotten up to fetch some food but it happened right in front of my seats. I did see the Daytona-style "big one" in the closing stages. Was hoping to see Helio get his fourth but still pretty chuffed to see the old gal make right with Taku after denying him in 2012. Alonso was strong all day and I think if his engine had held on he would have been in with a shout, I'm sure he will be back at some point as he seemed to have a whole lot of fun (but only if he has an uncompetitive car in F1).

I really proud of Takuma-san!

In Japan indy500 started at 1am and finished at 5am, so it's difficult to
keep my eyes open. BUT, from the last caution to the checkered flag, I
couldn't blink at all!

I watched this race in a motorsport bar and an atmosphere was fantastic!
When he crossed the finish line, everyone was screaming and crying,
then we did high-five and drank milk !

Sorry for my bad English, but just want to share my feeling!

おめでとう琢磨さん!ありがとう琢磨さん!

I really proud of Takuma-san!

In Japan indy500 started at 1am and finished at 5am, so it's difficult to
keep my eyes open. BUT, from the last caution to the checkered flag, I
couldn't blink at all!

I watched this race in a motorsport bar and an atmosphere was fantastic!
When he crossed the finish line, everyone was screaming and crying,
then we did high-five and drank milk !

Sorry for my bad English, but just want to share my feeling!

おめでとう琢磨さん!ありがとう琢磨さん!

That is so wonderful!! :)

それはとても素晴らしいです

The Japanese announcers were very excited! :D

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...satos-indy-500-win/1jewcjodtbuzm1xzzdv68g71eu

Yes it was a good race, still can't believe how well built the cars are after that bad crash, but a little luck never hurts either. Sato has been at it for awhile and he did very well, he battled and got a well deserved win. Chilton also did very well, and really sure have had a bit more attention paid to him, at least in my opinion.
Lastly theres Alonso who did very well, and I pretty much thought he would considering he is a very good driver. But If advertising means anything and it used to be Win on Sunday and sell on Monday, then Honda's blown engines in both Indy and F1 can't be helping themselves much. Yes the winning car did have a Honda(I think) but just the same all the blown engines certainly can't help Honda's name too much.
Anyways it was a good race and everyone came home safe, and at the speeds there going, thats a good thing.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%