AI lap time question

Is it possible to make an AI run a specific lap time on a given track? In plain English, can I somehow adjust the innards of, for example, a Mazda MX-5 CUP driven by AI to run continuous 1.48.500 laps at Bridgehampton?

I'm trying to come up with a way to get faster in a particular car, on a specific track ... but I am faster than the AI with us all using the same car.

I have found a car which has the same general layout of the one I want to drive faster, but has a larger engine and etc ... and so, is quite a bit faster than I. I tried backing down on the AI % knob to the range I need, and turned the aggression level and the variation down to zero ... but the lap times that it runs vary by a lot no matter what I do. I find that the adjustments we have for the AI isn't accurate enough.

I think this could be a good training aid. If you want to go 2 seconds faster, just follow some guy who IS 2 seconds faster.

I would assume that the procedure/gadget/incantation would be the same for all cars that work in AC.

Following AI line you are basically following a drunk version of the person that did the AI line in the first place - you never know what bad habits you are learning.

I'd maybe just ask somebody faster to drive it and share his ghost and/or delta so you can follow that instead.

Anyways don't think there is a simple way to make AI drive specific laptime... but if the AI can't follow you in the same car, maybe use ballast? The app for that is one of the dev apps i think (up to 200kg).

edit: (redacted) Im stupid, AI in multi doesn't work ofc, but i wonder if it would be possible to apply restrictor/ballast to any car in single player, especially negative values of those could be useful here to fine tune laptime... there might be an app for that.

Last edited:
Pawel is right. Please don't use the AI to get faster. The AI is kinda good and nice but it has some flaws as the coding needs to work with all cars of AC and not with just one car. The AI uses the same physics like humans so they just can't ride a car really on the edge.

If you want to get quicker make a post about that on the forums or just pm a few quick guys from the clubs and ask them if they can drive a quick lap and share replay etc with you.
I'll see if I can write a simple manual about how to share the ghosts so you can follow the fast laps in hotlap mode :)

Also the AI line is often a bit "wrong" or just "too safe". While you can risk to spin and go full over some kerbs, the AI will keep some more distance or won't go over them as brutally as we humans.

So you need mx5 Bridgehampton? I'll see what I can do over the weekend :)

Quickly did a few laps with mouse steering so I think 1-3 seconds are still to find. Little cut in one corner...
Here the Dropbox Link to the replay and the ghost car file:
LINK
The folder structure is the same as your documents folder so when you click through the folders you'll find the replay and the ghost car file at the lowest layer!

Replay needs to be put in here:
\\Documents\Assetto Corsa\replay

Ghost car file here:
\\Documents\Assetto Corsa\ GhostCar\bridgehampton

Or you just throw the Documents-Folder from the zip in your own, merge the Documents-Folders and the files will land in the correct directories :)

For the Ghost Car to appear on track you need to start a "Hotlap" Session and check the Ghost Car option!
The replay really is just my one lap. 1:45.xxx

Tell me when you need help or when you beat that lap. I'll happily provide you with a quicker lap driving with my wheel then! :)

Last edited:
Agree with these guys that it is not worth using AI to improve but if for some reason you still do you can apply restrictor and ballast to something like the M235i using championship mode in the default launcher or in any mode using CM. It would probably take 100% restrictor and a good few hundred kg though.

So you need mx5 Bridgehampton? I'll see what I can do over the weekend :)

Oh man, I am VERY sorry, Rasmus ... I was just offering that car/track/time combo as an example to illustrate what I am trying to do.

I just had a thought that using the AI in a slightly faster car might be useful as a training aid. It would eliminate the need for another person.

I don't like the ghost car because of the way it comes and goes, I find it to be more of a distraction then a help.

This is one area in AC that frustrates the crap out of me. In the program there is NO drivers school with training aids as found in the real world ... something that a person could use when he wants to and without needing another person. And I'm not talking about yet another video series.

Agree with these guys that it is not worth using AI to improve but if for some reason you still do you can apply restrictor and ballast to something like the M235i using championship mode in the default launcher or in any mode using CM. It would probably take 100% restrictor and a good few hundred kg though.

This might be something to look into. I was considering the Ginetta 55 over things like the M235I ... I think it's a more stable and smoother platform.

The AI shouldn't have any issues with the M235i, it's a very stable little car and vanilla. Closer in pace as well I imagine. I haven't really driven the Ginetta since around the time it came out many moons ago but I'd guess it would need even more slowing down. I'd put it somewhere between the 2-11 GT4 and the vanilla main GT4 class cars in terms of pace... from memory. All of which are faster than the M235i. If it is a track like Monza or Spa the Abarth 500 AC should be faster than the MX5 Cup as well and close enough to not require any BoP perhaps.

Last edited:
Oh man, I am VERY sorry, Rasmus ... I was just offering that car/track/time combo as an example to illustrate what I am trying to do.

I just had a thought that using the AI in a slightly faster car might be useful as a training aid. It would eliminate the need for another person.

I don't like the ghost car because of the way it comes and goes, I find it to be more of a distraction then a help.

This is one area in AC that frustrates the crap out of me. In the program there is NO drivers school with training aids as found in the real world ... something that a person could use when he wants to and without needing another person. And I'm not talking about yet another video series.
Delta would be the best thing to use IMO. Either just your own or your own and someone else's.

Hehe no problem it was fun to drive a bit :D
And to find out how to share ghosts! Didn't know about it...

The absolute most efficient, yet most annoying and frustrating at the beginning way to get quicker would be to install ACTI and compare telemetry files from quicker drivers. You'd see black on white where you lose time, what's the difference in line, inputs etc.

Using the AI for anything basically won't result in anything useful I fear. Only faster real persons will lead you to the right direction.

Here are enough guys that'll provide you with telemetry, replays ghost cars, whatever :)

To the ghost car: I know what you mean it not being awesome. However when you get a ghost of someone driving a clean and fast lap it won't come and go. At least not in the way your own ghosts would.
It will more be a sticking with you or moving away. When it moves away you know where you need to practice. When it sticks at the same distance, you're good!

To the ghost car: I know what you mean it not being awesome. However when you get a ghost of someone driving a clean and fast lap it won't come and go. At least not in the way your own ghosts would.
It will more be a sticking with you or moving away. When it moves away you know where you need to practice. When it sticks at the same distance, you're good!

It also isn't "adjustable". Using your ghost, once the student mastered going 1:45 ... he's got to get somebody to make a ghost that will do 1:43's.

The absolute most efficient, yet most annoying and frustrating at the beginning way to get quicker would be to install ACTI and compare telemetry files from quicker drivers. You'd see black on white where you lose time, what's the difference in line, inputs etc.

Here are enough guys that'll provide you with telemetry, replays ghost cars, whatever :)

Where can I find more about this ACTI. It might be interesting for my own use, but it sounds too complicated for the average guy who just wants to knock off a couple secs.

I suppose I'm just thinking out loud. I believe very strongly that a sim training-school app (or something) would do a lot for nubes and guys just looking for a good way to knock off some time.

A simple flat track for braking and cornering drills, and a "pro" driver that will allow a student to set the lap speed he wants to learn ... and follow along.

I've tried for over a month to figure out how to make a track ... but I have no natural aptitude for that type of computer work. From this I'm pretty sure that I will not be able to trick an AI into doing what I want it to do.

Like darkness and weather in AC ... I'm sure that it is possible ... but it would just take the willingness and time to do it.

There has to be a way.

As one of those average guys I can inform you that the telemetry thing might be a little tricky to set up. I had a go once a long time ago just out of curiousity and couldn't get it to work :D

It might be better, can't say as I haven't used it but I'm assuming it can't give you any realtime feedback. The great thing about a delta is it gives you instant feedback so you can tell that what you just did was either better or worse. I guess the plus of telemetry is it can tell you why you were better or worse.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%