Tracks Adding more start boxes

Just after bit of advice I have imported the kn5 folder to 3dsim I have duplicated the start boxes and moved them to correct coordinates then saved the kn5 folder to a copied track folder and changed the track information so it has correct names etc but when I go to load track it says track cannot be found any help would be great.

You could just make a kn5 with more start boxes in, and "merge" them with the models.ini.

More to the point of your problem: the track folder name has to be the same as the main kn5.
So for example: /tracks/thisisatest/thisisatest.kn5
If you try to use /tracks/copy_of_thisisatest/thisisatest.kn5, it will not work.

I'm interested in this too: so do you use Assetto Corsa SDK to manipulate the .kn5 files or create new ones? Interested in extending pit boxes for tracks like the mods for Interlagos and so on.

You'll want a 3D programme such as Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, etc. Create objects, name them accordingly, export to FBX, import into the ksEditor, export as kn5, add the kn5 to models_x.ini, done.

You'll want a 3D programme such as Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, etc. Create objects, name them accordingly, export to FBX, import into the ksEditor, export as kn5, add the kn5 to models_x.ini, done.
Ahh right, okay. Before I try that: as I know nothing, would it be safe to copy one of the other pit boxes and move/rename them?

Depends on what you mean with "one of the other pitboxes".
If you have the original files, then yes that would be easiest.

But you can create new ones. It really just has to be any object. I use 2×2×4 m cubes to have some idea where the cars are gonna be (especially positioning them on the grid). They need a material and texture assigned to them, can be anything.
They need a name; if AC_START_23 is the last one in the original files, yours need to be 24 and so on.
They need a rotation, which is covered in the "build your first track guide" here on the forums. I can never remember their orientation. Z forward?

Depends on what you mean with "one of the other pitboxes".
If you have the original files, then yes that would be easiest.

But you can create new ones. It really just has to be any object. I use 2×2×4 m cubes to have some idea where the cars are gonna be (especially positioning them on the grid). They need a material and texture assigned to them, can be anything.
They need a name; if AC_START_23 is the last one in the original files, yours need to be 24 and so on.
They need a rotation, which is covered in the "build your first track guide" here on the forums. I can never remember their orientation. Z forward?
So if I take the track's kn5 file, what do I do with it to open it?

I am not at liberty to speak about opening kn5 files :coffee:

It's really simple to create new starting places, though. Position of the objects can be obtained ingame via various apps. Rotation can be guessed based on the Sun's trajectory but can also be tested (export them with 0 rotation, look top-down ingame and guess the amount they need to be rotated to be in-line with the track), adjust, export, test again.

Yes its not a case of simply adding more start boxes in which takes no time at all,
but for example if a track currently as 24 start boxes and you add say 12 more and make it 36 in total, how to pit ?
you need to add start boxes actually on the starting grid + duplicate and move all the pitcrew + lod and rename everything so a 5 minute job turn into several hrs even for someone with experience like me.

+ duplicate and move all the pitcrew + lod and rename everything so a 5 minute job turn into several hrs even for someone with experience like me.
The AC_CREW stuff is not needed, ofcourse. Adding only grid places and pit boxes is a matter of half an hour, from finding out the coordinates to exporting and testing.

The AC_CREW stuff is not needed, ofcourse. Adding only grid places and pit boxes is a matter of half an hour, from finding out the coordinates to exporting and testing.
Yeah much faster with 3ds max or such last time I was in 3DSimed doing it was there several hrs now I use alternate methods.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back