AC Abarth500/MazdaMX5@Zonda, Wed 11th October 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Ha Ha, that is what I thought, over the years have often gone to buy a swift, FWD, a fabulous wee car it is too. But for some reason bought something else.
But I don’t think it is in the Abarth or Civic class, as Carsten pointed out.

Just read again Carsten write up, I wonder if the swift could partner the Mazda ND in rookie class ???

Last edited:
I´m afraid you have been duped there :(

The Swift Sport is hot luke warm hatch that doesn´t understeer that much because it doesn´t have the power/torque to do so.

These things are so "friendly" to drive that Apex and Rent-for-Ring rented them out to NOS greenhorns.

Please accept that the Swift Sport has the usual transverse mounted FWD drive train common to all hatchbacks..
Apart from personally looking under the hood/bonnet here some more hints:

View attachment 700311View attachment 700312
That still doesn't stop some "quality modder" making a FWD to RWD, though. Would not be the first time...

Last edited:
Pretty good race for me, although after P1 in quali I expected even more. Right after start I lost a couple of places to Thomas and Robert, but was then able to hold on to the 3rd place until Han got past me.
After that it was almost 20 laps just trying to stay close to Han. Fortunately for me he made a mistake and I got the 3rd place back, only to lose it after a few laps later to my own mistake - did a 180 at the chicane, silly me... :rolleyes:
That did something strange to my car, because the tyres seemed ok in every way, but I had way less grip than before. I was still able to fight with Andre, which wasn't pretty in any way but at least he didn't get away.
When the race was ending I did my final desperate try to get at least 5th place back. Unfortunately Andre probably didn't notice my overtake attempt on the first straight - right where you get a track limit violation if you use all of the track on the right. He forced me too far right there, and when I tried to stay away from the wall we touched and I did another 180.
He did a very gentlemanly thing though, and let me pass before the last corner of the race. I was sorry to see that Jason also used the opportunity to get past him there, and there was nothing I could do to help Andre there.

So, final position 5th, and 3rd among the Abarths. Usually I'd be very happy to finish 5th, but this time I expected a bit more. But it was too hard for me to stay consistent on this track.
Most importantly, I had fun!

Thanks to everyone on track, it's a real joy to race with you guys :thumbsup:
Great racing guys, fun track! It seems very easy but like every track its very hard to go quick.

I dont really know whos fault it was but, i just sticked to my line.. but anyway had great fun.

Not yours, it is the responsibility of the overtaking car to ensure the overtake is safe. ( not you )
By the time you turned in to the apex the overtaking car did not have that corner, exactly what i would have done and rightly expected the Abarth to back out.
The irony is that with a bit of patients the overtake would have been very easy on the long straight that was only a few corners away.:(

On the flip side, given another go with hind sight you could have given some room without effecting that corner, but that is easy said after the event, as i said it is the overtaking cars responsibility.

End result, a racing incident.

Last edited:
Great racing guys, fun track! It seems very easy but like every track its very hard to go quick.

I dont really know whos fault it was but, i just sticked to my line.. but anyway had great fun.
I don't really know either, especially now. In the race I was a bit surprised that you gave me the position, and because you did that I thought you saw it as your fault. I hadn't seen that in replay until just now, so I was just going by the assumption caused by you letting me pass.
Anyway, I don't think my overtake attempt was very smart.

Not yours, it is the responsibility of the overtaking car to ensure the overtake is safe. ( not you )
By the time you turned in to the apex the overtaking car did not have that corner, exactly what i would have done and rightly expected the Abarth to back out.
The irony is that with a bit of patients the overtake would have been very easy on the long straight that was only a few corners away.:(
That was my last chance really, Andre was so good in the corners before the long straight that I never had any chance of getting close enough.
Not my brightest moment, though, and I thought I could take the corner tighter than that.

My apologies.

But I don’t think it is in the Abarth or Civic class, as Carsten pointed out.

Just read again Carsten write up, I wonder if the swift could partner the Mazda ND in rookie class ???
At first reading I thought great idea :inlove:

Both are light and nimble, difference in horsepower is not that big :)

But whoa, ND is on street legal tyres, a Cup version probably not?
Difference in topspeed is also sizeable, "Abarth favoring" tracks could be a problem :(

I´ll have a comparative go at some of our ND/Cup Rookie Race tracks later.

At first reading I thought great idea :inlove:

Both are light and nimble, difference in horsepower is not that big :)

But whoa, ND is on street legal tyres, a Cup version probably not?
Difference in topspeed is also sizeable, "Abarth favoring" tracks could be a problem :(

I´ll have a comparative go at some of our ND/Cup Rookie Race tracks later.
There are several Swift street car mods so for the ND it will not be a problem. It's for the NX5 Cup that I'm looking for a match with RWD.

Well. the mod you suggested doesn´t work for me ( literally :()

The download from assetoworld didn´t pass my browsers security checks, it tried to download a .....exe ??

I got the mod from another source and it doesn´t move when hitting the gas (not in the right direction anyways, instead of speeding straight it "crabs" down the road camber) :poop:

I had CM install the mod, then deleted it and installed manually, both with the same outcome.

:speechless:

Last edited:
Well. the mod you suggested doesn´t work for me ( literally :()

The download from assetoworld didn´t pass my browsers security checks, it tried to download a .....exe ??

I got the mod from another source and it doesn´t move when hitting the gas (not in the right direction anyways, instead of speeding straight it "crabs" down the road camber) :poop:

I had CM install the mod, then deleted it and installed manually, both with the same outcome.

:speechless:
On Assettoworld if you click here:
1697120215812.png

and then here:
1697120248991.png

Then here:
1697120291917.png

Then here:
1697120325462.png

And then you get some commercial pop ups with also a download button but don't click on those. Close those windows and hit the download link button again. The correct zip file will begin downloading then. You will get a car file that you can extract in the cars folder of Assetto Corsa.

I know it's a sneaky way to get you downloading stuff you don't want. But it's only once per session. If you should download multiple mods in the same session, you don't get the commercials popups anymore.

That was my last chance really, Andre was so good in the corners before the long straight that I never had any chance of getting close enough.
Not my brightest moment, though, and I thought I could take the corner tighter than that.

My apologies.
No worries! It's racing. :ninja: I was in 5th place anyways and didnt wanted to take any risk if I was the guilty one in this little accident and waited for you.

just tried the Suzuki sport on Thompson circuit, cracking wee car. ( 2-10 )
It has the same lap time as the Alfa GTAM, so you cannot call it slow by any stretch.
Must be Carsten PC has a built bias against FWD.
In fact it is one of the best handling FWD cars, if not the best, but I will say it is probably low power that sweetens it up somewhat.:O_o:

just tried the Suzuki sport on Thompson circuit, cracking wee car. ( 2-10 )
It has the same lap time as the Alfa GTAM, so you cannot call it slow by any stretch.
Must be Carsten PC has a built bias against FWD.
In fact it is one of the best handling FWD cars, if not the best, but I will say it is probably low power that sweetens it up somewhat.:O_o:
It's indeed a FWD car. Is it a better match for the Abarth than the Honda?

I am 3 seconds quicker in the Abarth than the Suzuki. the main problem is you are on the rev limiter for 1/3 rd of the straight
Now I may have the wrong variant, but I doubt it, the Honda is also quicker.
I will give the civic a go here at Thompson??

Last edited:
I am 3 seconds quicker in the Abarth than the Suzuki. the main problem is you are on the rev limiter for 1/3 rd of the straight
Now I may have the wrong variant, but I doubt it, the Honda is also quicker.
I will give the civic a go here at Thompson??
Yes you will have the wrong version of the Swift.
It should be
1697130932591.png

You can change the gear setting so the top speed is 195 or so and you won't reach the rev limit.

I just gave it a go on Zonda and I managed after a few laps a 1.22 high.
It feels like a perfect in between car with the Abarth and the Mazda. Not as fast as the Abarth but better in the turns. Slightly faster than the Mazda but more understeer.

Last edited:
Tried the Honda, sits between the Fiat and Suzuki, my aggressive setup made no difference at all, same pogo stick but with more movement, exactly same lap time.
The civic certainly controls our aliens, neither are as sweet as the Suzuki.:)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 48 54.5%