F1 2010 A system for tweaking setups

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
This thread is about a system for testing your setup changes.
OK we have all had the benefit of some great setups shared here on the RD site.
For those of us that have the compulsion to work on our own there are a couple of comprehensive documents about the theory (thank you Ramon and Racer Alex).

I've been also having some progress by making a practice of:
  • Enough practice laps with a familiar setup to be within .2sec every lap on the track .
  • All testing on primes first (to more expose car handling issues) with about 10 laps fuel. Resist the urge to want impressive tiimes just yet.
  • Same goes for assists TCS OFF, ABS OFF. So get the car naked in its engineering and balance weaknesses no Options or assists to hide behind!
  • Make one change at a time-monitor result over say 3 laps.
  • Once happy that you have got a good setup, then Options and say 4 laps fuel. Test.
  • If racing with assists turn them back on and Presto.
Hope it helps.

David

Nice tips, David. I would like to add a couple:

- Moving the Ballast forward is the easiest way to hinder oversteer. This will cause a bit of a loss in straight line acceleration, but will allow you to get back on the throttle earlier in a corner without as much risk of a spin.

- When playing with fuel sim make sure to test the setup with race fuel! I find myself needing a lot more practice doing this than trying to get a fast quali lap.

- When doing 100% races I find I need to brake an extra 25m back. Moving the ballast forward will help carry more speed through corners (I usually need to move it one point forward). And don't be afraid to lift off the throttle to make the apex!

I always run on primes to set up the car as well, but with only enough fuel to do 4-5 laps, once i'm competitive on that I try the options a bit to see the 'ultimate' lap time. I find doing most testing on primes is preferable, as it comes as a nice surprise to have the super grip from the options, whereas if you're so used to the options, the primes will feel like **** lol

I found setting the balance to the rear is a setup style I like, I find contrary to the poster above that that allows you to get on the throttle earlier without the back stepping out. The understeer resulting from that is tweaked with the front wing.

Yes Steve
After your comment I tested more and its interesting how the car responds to the ballast change.
My impression was with Ballast Fwd (say even 60/40) the initial turn in was a little more secure and the car went to the apex well allowing earlier throttle IMO but the throttle required more delicate control at/after apex. Almost and easy to crank it in -harder to get it out clean system.
The reverse (say 40/60) took a little better driving B4 apex to get it turned in but once at apex better exit traction.
Two contrasting styles I guess.

A question I'd like to pose on this subject is how people setup cars for online quick races. I've spent a fair amount of time doing this and still it seems a lot like pot luck.

An example, Monaco, I try to setup most tracks using the Red Bull as the standard, but the gear settings are way different online to a GP or career in this car, they are so much shorter online, I find that I'm changing up and down at a phenomenal rate compared to GP mode. In particular, the swimming pool curve (the tunnel,) I can't seem to get the gears correct so that I'm not maxing out my revs before I get to the 50/100m marker posts.

Btw, has anyone tried those setup that you've been using or downloaded from the setup forums?

With the new 2011 total conversion, its quite an issue with the tyre wear? As i believe those setup are done in Time Trial and it does give good run on qualifying. However, the tyre wear start hitting badly. I've recently tried to re-tune those setting that i downloaded from the setup forum and still trying to lesson the tyre wear and with some Wings adjustment.

Most setup i downloaded has 1/1 for the wings. :)

Sorry I can't comment on the online quick races I've only done 50% and 100% events. The Redbull seems to work as the "setup mule" ok for this.
I have had some good eperience lately with wet setups with the formula;
Dry setup: then two clicks more wings, two clicks less top speed, two clicks softer springs, two clicks less front camber.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.