F1 2013 25% races = no grip after 3 laps

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
Hey all, on career mode I can't seem to keep the car on track after 3 or 4 laps of a 25% race.

The tyres seem to just disappear and I spin out on almost every corner.

Anyone else experience this?

It's annoying the hell out of me, as I physically can't complete a race!

I don't race 25% so i have no direct experience with the tyre wear at that distance. The tyre wear is supposed to be scaled down so if the options are only lasting 3-4 laps in a 25% race that's 12-16 laps in a 100% race. that's reasonable for some circuits. When are the AI stopping?

Another thing to consider is how worn your tyres are at the start of the race. If you qualify in the top ten you have to start on the tyres you qualified with....so they will already have some wear on them.

Last edited:
tire scaling.the tires will last 25% of what they would or should last in a 100% race. thats why your tires are going off so "early". 3 laps X 4 (quarter) = 12 laps in 100% race. 4 laps X 4 = 16 laps in 100% race. its because codemasters wanted the shorter races to have some sort of strategy to be required to win. not just 100% races like they did in 2012

All these points are valid, but there seems to be no middle ground.

Lap 1-3, I can drive flat out, lap 3/4, I can't put any power down out of a corner without spinning out.

Surely this should happen a bit more progressively?

Lap 1-3, I can drive flat out, lap 3/4, I can't put any power down out of a corner without spinning out.

if youre constantly pushing then your tires will not last very long. and dont say "these points are invaild" when you asked for an answer...dont ask a question if you know the "answer" :)

That's how tyre scaling works. At 25%, It makes tyre wear 4 times quicker than 100% races. It also makes wear progression 4 times quicker.

CM also simulated how the Pirelli wears in the first half of the season. Remember when teams talk about how the tyres suddenly losses performance when they go over the "cliff"? sometimes with very little indication for the driver? That's somewhat how it is in the game.

Even at 100% race, you will feel a relatively sudden decrease in grip when the tyres gets to about red-orange in wear.

Having less aggressive car setup has significant effect on tyre wear.

I know a lot here hated this year's game due to the high rate of tyre wear. I personally liked it since it let's you feel and decide how the teams did in the 1st half of the season. Like in real F1, car setup is crucial. Your car setup needs to be focused for race longevity, not fastest lap times. Also in quali, its like some teams in F1, I'd rather have minimally worn tyres at the start of the race and have a little lower grid position than get pole but start the race with 25% worn options.

Last edited:
Hey all, on career mode I can't seem to keep the car on track after 3 or 4 laps of a 25% race.

The tyres seem to just disappear and I spin out on almost every corner.

Anyone else experience this?

It's annoying the hell out of me, as I physically can't complete a race!

I race in 25% races a lot and I've never had this problem. Are you putting in a lot of qualifying laps on the tyres? That's the only thing I can think of. Even at Melbourne, where the options disintegrate extremely fast, you can race for more than 5 laps with them. You didn't provide a lot of information, so you're going to get some pretty general answers.

tire scaling.the tires will last 25% of what they would or should last in a 100% race. thats why your tires are going off so "early". 3 laps X 4 (quarter) = 12 laps in 100% race. 4 laps X 4 = 16 laps in 100% race. its because codemasters wanted the shorter races to have some sort of strategy to be required to win. not just 100% races like they did in 2012

They use the 50% wear rate in 25% races. Think about it. If the wear rate was scaled perfectly, then there would be the same amount of pitstops for a 100% race and a 25% race. That's obviously not the case. The options on Brazil last for 8-11 laps in a 25% race, depending on how you drive. If it really scaled accurately, then you'd be going for 32-44 laps on options in 100% races. Again, that's obviously not the case.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.6%