2080ti strix max pixel for triples

Ok time foe me to ask the gurus here i ordered my new high end gaming pc and now moving onto the monitors and yes I am a triples guy cause I still have kids (young girls ) and I can’t have a vr headset on other wise my house would be covered in dolls and powdered sugar haha haha

with that said I am wanting to go a minimum of 32” monitors and was wondering what is the max pixel ratio i can run on high settings with the i9 9900 and asus strix 2080ti OC. I was leaning towards some Asus rog swift pg348q 34” ips displays but they are 3440x1440 which with triples is 14,860,800 pixels. Would this be possible to run smoothly and on high setting

I’m open to options and ideas. My last sim had triple 32” 1080 with a bargain 2080ti so looking to make sure stepping up on monitors will be ok

thanks in advance

Mate. That’s a big ask from a 2080ti. 2560x1440 is med to high on a good day. There talk of a 3080 at some stage this year. But who knows.

Last edited:
I run 1080p x 3 on a 1080Ti/7700k PC and i know that having a 2080ti still wouldnt be enough to max out ACC or pC2 (meaning AMS 2 in a month) even at this lowly resolution (6 million odd pixels) .

The thing that really surprised me was the CPU load ! I moved down from 4k running basically maxed out settings in AC , rF2 , AMS , R3E and ACC (ACC maxed but 85% res scale) but with triples im CPU limited on a single core in R3E and rF2 even at 5.0Ghz and need to drop settings to alleviate the CPU load .

In ACC its GPU limited as expected but i think that even the 2080Ti (being only 20-30%faster) would struggle .

I am currently researching what I'd need to do triples at 1440p (2560x1440) with hi settings and it is fairly clear that 2x GPUs is required. I am not exactly wild about getting a second GPU and dealing with the additional complexity of NVlink and SLI.

DJM

I mean I could always go with 1080 monitors but really wanted to upgrade from previous setup. How hard is it to run two 2080ti with a bridge

It is easy enough to pop in two cards and connect them with a bridge....then there is the software side. Various games scale differently with 2x GPUs; in same cases 2x GPUs only garner 20% more FPS, in same cases you might have more crashes, etc. You will also need a solid power supply on your PC -- if your rig is hghend, it probablly already is sufficient for 2x 2080ti GPUs.

Do your research, there are a lot of video on yourtube (gamers nexus, etc) about the complexities of SLI.

To be clear, I will likely go SLI myself, but I am still researching so I can make an informed decision....and with the 3080 around the corners, perhaps it is worth waiting???

DJM

Seriously don't bother with SLI, the support for it dropped off a cliff last year, I had 2x 1080ti's but ended up replacing with a 2080ti (with much gritting of teeth), it only worked well in PC2 where they bothered programming in good SLI scaling, all the other sims were a big disappointment, yes average FPS will be higher, however the 1% lows are rubbish and it also creates stutter. You will get barely 25% increase and thats not worth spending another 1200 for...

Also unless you are buying a TRX 40 Threadripper or Intel X299 platform the sli will bottleneck at 8x PCIE lanes the Z390 and X570 split the 16 PCIE GPU lanes into two when you install 2 GPUs. The 2080ti bottlenecks by around 3-4% at PCIE 3.0 8x more so if you overclock. So if you are getting Intel Z390 do not bother with SLI at all don't even consider it as an option.

Please think about the below:
1440p triples = total 11million pixels.
1080 triples = total 6 million pixels.

The 9900k (overclocked) and single 2080ti pairing is best suited to very high fps on 1080p and depending on the sim and your overclocking skills you could be getting like 180fps even on triples. It will be as smooth as and a really amazing experience. Even cranking up the anti-alaising. Its the main reason to buy that combo.

1440p triples on the other hand are a massive stretch for a 2080ti as you are not far from doubling the total pixels and you will be getting GPU bottlenecked you'll be lucky to get 60fps on high settings maybe 80 at a push. You will have to drop graphics settings to medium levels to get over 100fps. But if thats what you want then fine.

Another option however is a 1440p 49inch super ultrawide however like two monitors on one screen. Like the Samsung ones. Though very expensive.

I think if you go to the trouble of getting a 9900k go for 27 inch high FPS IPS 1ms 1080p monitors.

If I purchased 1440 monitors can I run them at 1080 and that way in the future I can upgrade system

You could as long as you enable the new integer scaling settings on the GPU, otherwise the pixels get blurred upscaling and looks far worse than the native resolution. I've not tested how well this works, so i'd see if you could test it first.

I don't know though LED tech is very old now almost at an end, Micro LED round the corner and possibly even OLED coming to monitors both of which are far superior tech in terms of colours and latency. But can understand if you are dead set on 1440p.

I'd limit your budget to no more than £300 for each monitor at 1080p with your setup and get IPS 1ms 144-160hz monitors. IPS is key as that has the best image quality and viewing angles and modern ones have very good response times these days. 1440p don't go over £400. No LED monitor is worth more than that.

I like the Acer Nitro series are good quality for decent prices. Although the casing is plastic, they have thin bezels and a very nice spec.
1080p with HRD is the Acer Nitro VG271P. This monitor to me makes a lot of sense for triples.
1440p with HDR Acer Nitro VG271U. Maybe worth getting if someone could test the resolution upscaling using Nvidia interger scaling?

Also on the 49 inch consider Samsung CRG90 120hz, but its very expensive. If you can get one for 800 it might make sense.

FPS over resolution for sure.

It is difficult to quantify 'ideal' FPS for sim racing, but higher is certainly better. I think you want to be over 60 FPS though? Someone else might chime in here.

Many people consider 1080p to be the sweet spot for sim racing on triples. On 1080p monitors you can achieve a solid frame rate with mainstream hardware with having to resort to 'exotic' hardware configs.

If money is no object, then you can go nuts and run 1440p triples -- it just depends on your pain thresh hold for cost.

DJM

for racing sim what is the ideal FPS

Also if you had to choose between FPS and resolution I would imagine FPS is the most important

Yes I think FPS is more enjoyable especially if you can crank the graphics details as well. 100-120fps is probably the sweetspot for most people if you can get it. 60fps as a bare minimum and is perfectly fine actually. Once you see 120fps though you cannot go back. Don't buy the 9900k if your happy with 60fps though! Its meant for blasting out frames.

Resolution, this is about how big the panel is and how far away it is from your eyes. There is a sweet spot with each resolution and panel size in terms of pixel density and it also relates to the FOV you want to run, the closer to your eyes the better to get a higher FOV but the worse the pixel density appears. You will be happy with 27 inch 1080p if you get this balance right. Too close and it you'll notice the pixels, too far away and you'll not be happy with the FOV.

If money is no object, then you can go nuts and run 1440p triples -- it just depends on your pain thresh hold for cost.

Yes and this reference is talking about HEDT (X299 and TRX40) and SLI setups. Basically doubling the cost of your current spec.

Playing devils advocate if you were willing you could build a system to run 1440p triples well, just about within the top of your budget out of second hand HEDT parts, like a Intel 7900x or 7920X delidded and overclocked on a second hand X299 and then blow 2400 on 2x 2080ti or even 800 - 900 on 2x second hand matching 1080ti's which still out perform 1 2080ti in certain cases (read SLI scaling on your favorite sim). But it will be a world of pain to get it set up. Probably by the time you got your head around it AMD will launch the 6900XT or whatever its going to be called which will make the 2080ti look silly, swiftly followed by Nvidias offerings and costs will also drop.

So yeah the annoying thing about this whole conversation is we are probably about 3-4 months away from 1440p triples running at 100-120fps on high settings on a single GPU.

The recommended setup remains 9900k + 2080ti with 144hz 1080p monitors being the top end no compromises 1080p triple setup right now. Yes there are better setups, but are far too expensive and complicated to recommend. There are also much cheaper setups that aren't that much slower.

Are you saying the i9 9900k is good or bad? I just got the i9 9900 with the strix 2080ti

Rob's answer is excellent -- you should re-read it and try understand his points -- he is spot on.

If you want the 'easy answer' then yes, the i9-9900 is good, not just good, but great. The I9-9900 + 2080ti is currently the best platform for gaming unless you want to double or triple your investment.

djm

9900k is the fastest single core processor on the market right now. It can smash out huge fps. But if you go for 1440p you wont benefit from it until a better gpu comes out. Thats the bottom line.

oh gotcha... Ya I'm on the fence but think I am just going to go 32" 1080p IPS and crank up all the graphic settings and just enjoy driving hahahahaha

Now I need to find a good 32" IPS 144hz

I like the Acer Nitro series are good quality for decent prices. Although the casing is plastic, they have thin bezels and a very nice spec.
1080p with HRD is the Acer Nitro VG271P. This monitor to me makes a lot of sense for triples.
1440p with HDR Acer Nitro VG271U. Maybe worth getting if someone could test the resolution upscaling using Nvidia interger scaling?

Aren't there monitors with TN panels that should do better for high-performance gaming?

oh gotcha... Ya I'm on the fence but think I am just going to go 32" 1080p IPS and crank up all the graphic settings and just enjoy driving hahahahaha

Now I need to find a good 32" IPS 144hz

Just a thought Shrive:

Have you considered getting something as a 'stop-gap' monitor to hold you over until the new round of GPUs comes out? I ended up with 34" Alienware AW3420DW 3440 x 1440 @ 120hz -- I picked this up for $999, shipped to my door. While it is not as fully immersive as triples, it is still a spectacular monitor and more than enough to hold me over to wait and see what the next gen GPUs are capable of doing. I am hoping I will be able to upgrade to a '3080ti' and drive triple 1440s without having to resort to the complications of 2x GPUs.

DJM

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.1%