2023 Fenix 30-6 Chinook

Cars 2023 Fenix 30-6 Chinook 0.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ryno917 submitted a new resource:

2023 Fenix 30-6 Chinook - Small, light, agile. Everything a sports car should be, and nothing more.

View attachment 710356

After only 3 and a half years of on and (mostly) off work, with a helluva lot of support from several people, I’m finally ready to unleash this little beast on the world.

An antidote to the modern automotive industry, the 2023 Fenix 30-6 Chinook is a pint-sized mid engined sports car for the masses. Think modern incarnation of the MR2, or Fiero. Small, simple, light, agile, and attainable—exactly what a sports car should be, and nothing more.

[ATTACH...

Read more about this resource...

Love it!

Screenshot_rwd_23_fenix_306_deutschlandring_28-10-123-0-40-24.jpg

Screenshot_rwd_23_fenix_306_deutschlandring_28-10-123-0-37-1.jpg

Screenshot_rwd_23_fenix_306_deutschlandring_28-10-123-0-28-21.jpg

@SaXXXon Thank you!

Just a note for everyone; I am aware of a missing texture for the calipers in the LOD models. Doesn't cause any crashes so I won't rush to fix that just yet, and hold onto the update until there's a few more items needing fixes as well.

What a nice design project, it's amazing that so many people were able to come together to make this happen. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about the specifics with regards to decisions made and how you came to the choices that you did, given a blank canvas.

The 3d looks really great and the interior is very well done. The download contains a backup .kn5 file that probably isn't necessary. Something you might want to remove whenever you get around to the LOD texture thing.

There's a few things in the physics you might want to look at.

1. UI files say car weight is 700kg while TOTALMASS in physics is 1218.
2. Rear camber in setup.ini is different for right and left, and car defaults to an asymmetric setup there, which is quite odd.
3. I found it a bit tricky to get the tires up to temp even with ideal conditions, anything colder and it's quite a struggle.
4. The brake strength is about right for a 700kg car, but definitely too weak for this one. I can't imagine a road car in the last 20 years that doesn't have enough brake torque to get into ABS like this mod suffers from. Especially for users with higher-end pedals it's a bit of a workout in this regard. Something just over 3000nm seems more realistic. You might want to scale the right side of prop valve lut if the intended bias was correct at the lower forces.
5. Slightly personal preference on this, and not a big problem since the user can adjust it easily, but ffb would be more in line with other content in the game if you went about 25% stronger on the ff mult.

Thank you!

Last edited:
What a nice design project, it's amazing that so many people were able to come together to make this happen. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about the specifics with regards to decisions made and how you came to the choices that you did, given a blank canvas.

The 3d looks really great and the interior is very well done. The download contains a backup .kn5 file that probably isn't necessary. Something you might want to remove whenever you get around to the LOD texture thing.

There's a few things in the physics you might want to look at.

1. UI files say car weight is 700kg while TOTALMASS in physics is 1218.
2. Rear camber in setup.ini is different for right and left, and car defaults to an asymmetric setup there, which is quite odd.
3. I found it a bit tricky to get the tires up to temp even with ideal conditions, anything colder and it's quite a struggle.
4. The brake strength is about right for a 700kg car, but definitely too weak for this one. I can't imagine a road car in the last 20 years that doesn't have enough brake torque to get into ABS like this mod suffers from. Especially for users with higher-end pedals it's a bit of a workout in this regard.
5. Slightly personal preference on this, and not a big problem since the user can adjust it easily, but ffb would be more in line with other content in the game if you went about 25% stronger on the ff mult.

Thank you!
Thanks for the kind words, and the notes!

I'll pass along the physics feedback to Jason; it's all way over my head.

As for the design bits, I'm generally pretty disappointed with what the industry has become. Every car these days is overladen with useless tech that's only there to tick a box on the marketer's checklist. There's only two cars in production I actually want, and one of them might be getting the axe for 2025.

So, I decided to design the car that I want. Light on the nanny aids, as analog as possible, naturally aspirated, with focus on the driving dynamics instead of the numbers on a page. The intent is for it to be something about 30% upmarket from the Toyobaru twins.

Now that I've had to sell my BRZ, I'm keen to design a Fenix for that segment, as well...

Last edited:
Arch is working on new tires as we speak (and I may tweak the setup a bit as the balance will inevitably change with new tires) so don't get too attached to these. That also goes for heating.

The appropriate amount of brake torque depends fairly heavily on the tires too, so expect that to get an adjustment at the same time. (That's why we're here in the first place: these had a lot more LonG capability than the last set, and I didn't adjust the max torque quite hard enough.)

Edit: I'm not sure what's up with the camber setup in the release version if indeed it's wonky at the rear. The version on my PC has symmetrical rear camber in game, as expected. The values in the setup file aren't square but this is what it looks like on the skidpad. I don't think I could make it more symmetrical if you paid me extra:

Untitled-123727.jpg

Last edited:
@SaXXXon Thank you!

Just a note for everyone; I am aware of a missing texture for the calipers in the LOD models. Doesn't cause any crashes so I won't rush to fix that just yet, and hold onto the update until there's a few more items needing fixes as well.
Is it alcn_NM.dds of rwd_23_fenix_306_b.kn5 ?
I get a warning message about it.

Is it alcn_NM.dds of rwd_23_fenix_306_b.kn5 ?
I get a warning message about it.

Yep! Had it temporarily assigned to a material while I was finalising some things, forgot to fix it in the LOD B before uploading. I didn't notice as those error messages don't show up in VR sometimes. It doesn't cause any crashes though, so I'll hold off on the fix until I have a few items to sort out and can release an update all at once.

Sooo. Any updates around the corner? :)

There's some items in the works ;)

I've been a bit distracted with the GT4 version (still a long ways away) but I do have a few little fixes implemented as well as another surprise for the update, and some slightly updated physics files from Jason and Arch.

I really should get the update buttoned up soon, though. No timelines established, but there will be an update before the GT4 version gets released. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea