2012 McLaren MP4-27

dms1204ma170.jpg

dms1204ma172.jpg

dms1204ma147.jpg

dms1204ma171.jpg

Simulation of the Mclaren exhaust,

83492mp25g.png

For those of you hoping to seal the diffuser, here is a simulation from n smikle. Please note that the flow is less than 30 m/s when hits the floor. Also this a McLaren simulation, so the outlet is much closer to the wheel. With RB you double the distance and you probably end up with less than 15 m/s. Last year you had the exhaust on the floor with a flow of 230 m/s.

Now every little bit helps, but this has now become a very small little bit!

Is it the speed with which the exhaust fumes are traveling that matters? I always thought it was the heat and therefore the energy stored within them. However, according to that picture there is hardly any warmth left once it reaches the floor. But if it's the speed of the fumes, why aren't they just making the rear more aerodynamically efficient to improve the normal airflow - which is probably faster than 30 m/s?

Is it the speed with which the exhaust fumes are traveling that matters? I always thought it was the heat and therefore the energy stored within them. However, according to that picture there is hardly any warmth left once it reaches the floor. But if it's the speed of the fumes, why aren't they just making the rear more aerodynamically efficient to improve the normal airflow - which is probably faster than 30 m/s?

Heated gases exert less drag but also less downforce. Cooler gases produce greater effect and density. The temps are siginificantly lowered when those fumes hit the airstream. The volume of air coming from exhaust are related to the engine air intake above the driver, they are not the same but it gives some indication of possible air volume available. Last year they could direct that flow more precisely, now they have to aim it from farther away. It's like pistol shooting versus sniping. I was afraid of this when i saw the new FIA exhaust tip rule (no, i couldn't see the solutions but now the regulations are much more clearer we all can see them...)... Just stick them to be the absolute last thing.. So that the car counting from the back is exhaust, crash structure, rear wing...

Such a letdown after the huge "inverted U-shaped sidepods" hype :(

Nonetheless, the rear part of them is quite sexy and big performance upgrades don't necessarily have to be flashy.

Still, I would have loved to see something new and exotic :-/

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea