2011 IndyCar Series

was a good race, end was interesting must be so gutting for the guy that was leading, knew it was gonna happen though as soon as he went around the outside of that car

Just an incredible finish, the excitement at seeing a rookie win then the crash and "OMG" followed by another "OMG" was he actually going to get over the line first on three wheels?

Jimmie Johnson believes IndyCar should abandon racing on ovals and instead focus on road and street courses following the accident that claimed the life of Dan Wheldon in the series finale at Las Vegas last Sunday.

The above is an interesting quote found on autosport

What are your views? Do you agree with the statement of Jimmie Johnson or not?

I don't have the necessary background knowledge about IRL's safety measures but my mind tells me that going 360 kph side by side in an open wheeler can not be as safe as a sport would have to be in the 21st century to be watched by people of all ages.

No, I think vegas was just a dangerious track that forced packracing, most of the large ovals they go to are quite flat so the cars spread, either way comparing Vegas to a short oval like martinsville is stupid.

I think some people are over reacting but yes changes have to be made.

Simply no.
I think Indy need to take a serious look on some of the courses they run and evaluate each one of them from a number of aspects as: wall height, safer barriers, track width, track length and number of cars allowed to participate.
Allow back lower banked but longer ovals such as Michigan and Fontana and run lowspeed ovals like Milwaukee Mile and Phoenix and take away 1.5 mile ovals like Texas and Las Vegas.
The Texas race in CART was cancelled in 2001 because of the high speeds (they were averaging 370 km/h)
I think this is the way to make the sport safer yet keeping the ovals.

No absolutely not this idea is just an overreaction to an obsolete chassis' danger on superspeedways. There is nothing wrong with open wheel oval racing. There IS something wrong with open wheel oval pack racing. Which isn't necessarily inherent to open wheel oval racing. Remember, CART has been running successful and exciting oval racing for years. There's no reason why IndyCar should stay away from ovals.

Agree with Fredrick that the 1.5 mile 'D' ovals should be put in the past, unless the car formula becomes significantly slower. BUT- Milwaukee, Phoenix, New Hampshire, and even Iowa are good choices - and bring Nazareth back. Unfortunately, of these only Iowa looks to have a shot unless things change significantly. And yes, Fontana or Michigan can be safter due to the track being so wide and the banking lower. Richmond had turned into a parade - it was cancelled with good reason. Honestly, to me, the annual race at Texas (before this year) was one of the most exciting races to watch - the slicing and dicing was incredible - but there were also usually only 20 cars on the track.
Lots of issues, no simple solutions, but the first order is to get off the high-progressive banked tracks and onto ones that at least require a lift.

Mario Andretti says Dan Wheldon’s fatal Indycar crash was "freakish" one-off

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95493

"It's incredible that no more than just one driver was [seriously] hurt," said Andretti. "Dan's situation was a very freakish thing where his car flew right up into the catch fencing. The track is very well equipped, it is one of the few tracks to have SAFER walls all the way around, but he just missed the top of it. It was so unfortunate."

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.