1968 Daihatsu P-5

Cars 1968 Daihatsu P-5 1.03

Login or Register an account to download this content
Historic Sim Studios LLC submitted a new resource:

1968 Daihatsu P-5 - 1960s Japanese GT

The Historic Sim Studios team is proud to present the 1968 Daihatsu P-5 for Assetto Corsa! Today marks both the 60th anniversary of the Japanese Grand Prix and the 55th anniversary of the Daihatsu P-5's triumphant class win at the Grand Prix in 1968.

This is our first mod for Assetto Corsa that we have finished to a degree that is ready for a public release. We love vintage and classic racing! The Historic Sim Studios team produces historically accurate...

Read more about this resource...

Lovely little proto! Really nice seeing some of these more obscure historic cars.

Besides the very low default FFB, I just wanna bring up some things I noticed regarding the physics.

Since these cars used vintage grooved tires, make sure to use the standard short names for them so CSP auto generate water displacement physics correctly. In this case it should be SHORT_NAME=V... This way CSP will understand these tires are grooved and guess the correct values for water displacement. The way its set up right now CSP is assuming the tires are slicks and is generating a separate compound. Basically, if you use any short name other than "=ST" and "=V" CSP will guess they're slicks (including V60, V70 etc) and generate a separate "WET" compound (which you don't want in this case).

Also, speaking of tires, in my opinion they're a tad too grippy. At least in comparison to aphidgod's Lola T70, which is probably the best proto mod to use as reference. I'm basically getting a similar load sensitivity curve to the Lola's tires, which, afaik, are very much wider (beware he's using a .lut curve for the Mu, so the Fz0, dx and dy lines in the tires.ini aren't applied. E.g. his is actually 1.36 lat Mu @ 1000 load for the front tires, I'd say yours should be quite a bit lower).

As for the suspension, you can't go wrong with using the DWB anti-squat/anti-lift bug fixes. Basically, just add these lines in the suspension.ini:
INI:
[_EXTENSION]
TORQUE_MODE_EX=2            ; antisquat fix for new trailing arm geometry
FIX_PROGRESSIVE_RATE=1
USE_DWB2=1

Last thing, if you decide to update the tires, i'd highly recommend you to take a look at Cphys new thermal model which is a lot more accurate than the default KS one. There isn't much documentation on it, but you can find bits and pieces of information on Arch's physics pipeline, the CSP discord and on some mods that already use it like the NSX and aphidgod's Subaru WRX here on RD and some recent RSS and VRC mods.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. Good FFB, nice "lightweight feels".
Just minor tweaks needed, like the glossy/shiny tires (if it's not just my problem), some internal lighting issue and maybe the engine sounds (sometimes a bit annoying, if I may say)

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming! We are definitely going to redo the visually aspects of the tires in the next update, we are also going to adjust the front suspension a bit (which should help improve the FFB) although the car is pretty light so don't expect it to just become as strong as other larger cars. Probably all come in a 0.995.

We may do a bit of adjustment to the tires as well, but that will be included in the 1.0 post, and we will also be adding some of the visual improvements we would like to add, such as fixing the texture mapping on the left front air duct and adding a few visual improvements to certain aspects of the car.
Last thing, if you decide to update the tires, i'd highly recommend you to take a look at Cphys new thermal model which is a lot more accurate than the default KS one. There isn't much documentation on it, but you can find bits and pieces of information on Arch's physics pipeline, the CSP discord and on some mods that already use it like the NSX and aphidgod's Subaru WRX here on RD and some recent RSS and VRC mods.
We have looked into it, and even had a Cphys tire model for awhile during development on our Patreon, but ultimately we just couldn't get it balanced as well as the traditional tire heating model. Its something we may look at adding down the road, but for now there are plenty of other things that need adjusting as people are helpfully pointing out. I'm sorry to disappoint but we probably won't be using Cphys on this car. If you would like to help out with that, I'm totally open to having you join the HSS team (we are always open for those with talent, and we do share the donations and monetary support we get as fairly as possible amongst the team based on everyone's contributions).

Last edited:
Regarding the sounds, some things you could try yourself is trying to add a bit of "dry" signal to the low-pass filter, and also add an EQ that would cut down a little (with regular peak curve) some frequencies in the 4-5khz range. Just a little. And also there are some phase shifting plugins that could be used for the internal samples, to make the engine sound more from "behind". Altho with them you also have to be accurate and not overdo them, because again too much of that effect will induce some weirdness when driving in headphones.

Regarding the sounds, some things you could try yourself is trying to add a bit of "dry" signal to the low-pass filter, and also add an EQ that would cut down a little (with regular peak curve) some frequencies in the 4-5khz range. Just a little. And also there are some phase shifting plugins that could be used for the internal samples, to make the engine sound more from "behind". Altho with them you also have to be accurate and not overdo them, because again too much of that effect will induce some weirdness when driving in headphones.
Thanks for the pointers. We will give them a go! Thanks!

Historic Sim Studios LLC updated 1968 Daihatsu P-5 with a new update entry:

v1.0 Release!

1. Improved FFB
2. Improved visual materials.
3. Added exhaust shake.
4. Added refractions on front and rear lights.
5. Fixed some inverted meshes.
6. New tire map and new tires textures.
7. Several minor visual bug fixes.
8. Packed data file for online racing.
9. Added some extension code to car.ini file.
10. Minor fuel consumption adjustments.
11. New LODs.
12. Updated file names and structure to our current standard.
13. Added extension code to move from a single contact point to a 9...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Interesting update, the car drives and looks better, but although the lights come on, they do not illuminate the road (see the attachements)

Attachments

• Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-17-28.jpg
    Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-17-28.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-16-50.jpg
    Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-16-50.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-16-55.jpg
    Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-16-55.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-17-21.jpg
    Screenshot_hss_1968_daihatsu_p5_thomson_11-0-124-15-17-21.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 29
First, thanks for share this gorgeous car... but I'm sorry to say that I have a problem with it. Let's see if I can explain clearly, since I have not been able to take a screenshot to replicate the glitch...

When driving in first person (3 monitors, CSP 0.1.79), through the windshield and in the fixed part of the side windows everything is seen correctly, but in the opening sashes of the side windows I can't see the landscape passing by, but instead I see a fixed image, as if the reflection of the outside had been etched on the glass while stopped before start to drive... And if I move the camera with the mouse, when passing through the sashes, the image I can see is like the psychedelic chaos that you see when you fall into the void outside the track... (And no, I'm not on drugs...)

Is this happening to anyone else, or could it be a problem with my settings?

Thanks in advance.

First, thanks for share this gorgeous car... but I'm sorry to say that I have a problem with it. Let's see if I can explain clearly, since I have not been able to take a screenshot to replicate the glitch...

When driving in first person (3 monitors, CSP 0.1.79), through the windshield and in the fixed part of the side windows everything is seen correctly, but in the opening sashes of the side windows I can't see the landscape passing by, but instead I see a fixed image, as if the reflection of the outside had been etched on the glass while stopped before start to drive... And if I move the camera with the mouse, when passing through the sashes, the image I can see is like the psychedelic chaos that you see when you fall into the void outside the track... (And no, I'm not on drugs...)

Is this happening to anyone else, or could it be a problem with my settings?

Thanks in advance.
This is something on our list of bugs to investigate, we just didn't have time to get to it before this update.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.