Windows 7

Got my self a 64 bit OWM Ultimate. Absolutely happy so far.

For both the retail and OEM version you are supposed to only have one installation, so no difference concerning that.

There is not support for the OEM version, no nice box and it only comes with one version either the 64 or the 32 version. Though the key is supposed to work with both.

But as the 64 bit version is anyway ok, I have not experienced anything with problems so far (was running a Vista 64 before), I would not see any reason the be concerned about that.

Got Win7 Home Premium retail on release. Havent installed it yet as I am using Win7 RC version which is free until Mar 2010. Would rather install it now but I will be upgrading PC components, Motherboard, CPU etc etc. If i were to re install Win 7 again what would happen? Will I be able to re install the 2nd time? or 3rd. This issue is stopping me from installing Win7 Retail now since I will be upgrading. Might take a few months until I have all the components.

Help!!!!

I have noticed after installing W7 retail version pc is hogging the RAM alot while on idle. At the moment its 1.7gb free outta 4gb. Even RaceOn is struggling now. I didnt have this problem at all running W7 RC. Whats the cause?

Edit:

After a restart Ram is 2.7gb free.

Here is a question to the more techy guys.

If a pc has 2.7gb free ram after a restart and I open proggies and stuff and end up with 1.7gb free, shouldnt the system get back to 2.7gb when I close the proggies and stuff?

Im about to go grab a copy of Win7 today,could someone tell me if the upgrade from XP or Vista will do the job for me?,there is only a £10 difference between the upgrade ver. and the full ver.,i'm looking at getting Home Premium,any others on the same and are happy enough?.

I installed an upgrade version 2 days ago on my pc as a full instalation.......xp to 7
what I did was pop the cd in, begin instalation (costum instalation by formatting the hd where I want 7 to be on), skip key registration during instalation. And after it is finished go in system properties and there below change product key to the one that I got. Works awesome

so in a word, yes it will do the job

lol
Ivo did you check surfspot?

that is where I got my 7 ultimate upgrade dvd :)

from vista 64 to 7 64 you can upgrade without a clean installation.

btw good to know
windows7-upgrade-chart.png

What Video card you have, how much ram?

Nvidia 8800GS in SLI. 348mb each.

Marcel I never experianced this problem when I was running W7 RC version. Its like the retail version is more unstable than than RC. Very weird this. I am terrrified now with the upcoming leagues I am taking part.

PC specs as follows

CPU: Quad Core 6600
Ram: 4GB
Video Card: 8800GS in SLI
PSU: 650w Corsair
Hard Drives: 320GB OS and 1TB for files and stuff

Whats ur Ram reading after a restart? Or how much should W7 utilise RAM on restart and idle.

oh yeah :)
I have also bought the uk version, after running almost 7 years on a xp dutch version :) (enough for me :))

funny thing. Ultimate version if you buy the dutch version, you can still install English language after OS installation :)

I just upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit and now that ive been fooling around with it for a week its so dam silky. I have to say its the best OS i've ever owned, and ive had them all. So i'll be sticking with this one, hopefully for awhile.

Just made the switch to W7 as well. coming from XP this is a massive improvement if you ask me:p
Really happy with it and all drivers are working fine as well, prog's and games ..no issues at all really.

I installed an upgrade version 2 days ago on my pc as a full instalation.......xp to 7
what I did was pop the cd in, begin instalation (costum instalation by formatting the hd where I want 7 to be on), skip key registration during instalation. And after it is finished go in system properties and there below change product key to the one that I got. Works awesome

so in a word, yes it will do the job

Rightio-ho
As things turned out i didnt get my Win7 discs until yesterday.....so im ready here now to get the job done but would like to check some details with you in an almost childlike "step by step" stylee please mister Christo? :)

1: Save anything i want to keep from my C: drive - Done!
2:Unplug my second drive with all the stuff i saved and want to keep then boot up from CD with W764bit disc in - ????
3:Normal format then install procedure and skip any key reg. at this stage - ????
4:When it starts up in Win7 go to System Properties and should be able to put key reg. there?...you say "change" product key,will there already be an old XP code there from a format and fresh install??...

A couple of other things i would like advice on is my overclock and 2x 2Gb memory sticks,should i remove my overclock to install Win7??....and should i install with just one of the 2Gb sticks in then add the other when im done?.

Cheers m8

I didn't do the upgrade I just installed Win7 from scratch ... but you should be good with your system overclocked to do the upgrade so don't worry about it from there ... unless you get problems during the upgrade that is, then you may need to return to stock settings and try again.
I would leave all 4GB in there too, as Win 7 64 is happy with silly large quantities of RAM, it was just some mobos and Win Vista that had troubles with more than 2GB of RAM AFAIK.

I am not sure why you want to upgrade if you are going to format your C: drive during the install though mate.
Basically you are doing a new installation.
If you want to properly upgrade ... the whole point of that is so that you do not need to start again from scratch installing all your programs and data ... you simply upgrade the OS and continue running as before, without the need to re-install your programs etc again.
You should not need to disconnect the D: drive ... as long as you tell it the right drive/partition to install Win 7 on, it should not touch the D-drive (but as you already disco'd it, no need to reconnect I guess)
RE: license keys ... shouldn't make any difference when you put it in (during or after the upgrade) ... but TBH I did not know that you could bypass this step in the upgrade, but as I said I have not done this upgrade yet so will not challenge this point.

Win 7 should really walk you through the upgrade ... if you run it from within your win xp it will probably also offer you the chance to back up all your data and program settings prior to upgrading or doing a fresh install.

The upgrade exe or installation exe really does hold your hand during the upgrade ... am off out now bud, but if you get stuck, PM me and I will do what I can when I get back in later.

GL mate ...

Cheers Leeo son,went ahead with and it done the upgrade no probs,now on a 64bit Win7 OS,first impressions are good,just going around getting the 64bit drivers and versions of stuff i had before,i got away with not having to do a full Steam install of everything,might have to redo rF afresh,its giving me jip just now,nothing really unfixable,i never lost a thing,still have my lovely "SimStuff" folder with all tracks and mods etc. for all me sims :)....so far its happy days!!.

Gratz dude ... and tbh ... I am likin win 7 a lot.
Vista got better as time went on, but was still flawed and flakey and frustratingly annoying at times.
Win 7 seems to have sorted a lot of that gubbins and I would say is one of MS's proper releases instead of a market hole plugging, unfinished and annoyingly crappy release as some of them tend to be ;-)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.