Whats the worst bit of kit you purchased?

What gear have you purchased for your simrig that was a waste of time or waste of money and hardly or ever used.

I think the worse every thing I got was a G29 upgrade from a G27, at the time I really wanted those extra buttons, but sadly it was not built as well, and the build quality was shocking compared to the G27 IMO, so it went back in the bock after a while and is now in the loft gathering dust.

You are looking at performance from the wrong angle because the numbers don’t take into account it’s rendering the image twice as two separate views which is why it’s such a performance killer as opposed to triple screens which is just a wider view. We need increases in both GPU and CPU power or specifically with CPU, engines which better utilise multi-threading!

With regards to the Rift S making the original obsolete I have the disagree, for me the slight bump in resolution does not make up for the switch to an LCD screen which is much lower quality in comparison. I’d choose the CV1 all day over the S.

I’m happy to stick with it until they release the proper next-gen headsets. Whilst the Index is an upgrade it’s not enough for me although perhaps my view would change if I saw it in action.

I switch between my 32:9 5120x1440 screen and VR in games that don’t support it and yes the image takes a hit but the feeling of just being in the car in VR is too good for me.

In my eyes, the big problem with the CV1 is that Oculus no longer sells the replacement cable for the head set -- so if you muck up yours you have to try to find one elsewhere. I too will not upgrade to an S from my CV1. It is just not worth it at all in my opinion. I would love to see a true next gen Rift come out... (Quest is cool, but not quite what I mean lol)

Upvote 0
With regards to the Rift S making the original obsolete I have the disagree, for me the slight bump in resolution does not make up for the switch to an LCD screen which is much lower quality in comparison. I’d choose the CV1 all day over the S.

Did you actually get to try the Rift S and do a comparison? I was also a bit hesitant to go for the S (I had the regular Rift) as the resolution upgrade is very small on paper. However, the clarity improvement in the image and lack of visible SDE make the Rift S image incredible clear compared to the Rift. I have to say I was very surprised to find that, and the cost of upgrade was only 150e or so, selling my old Rift. What you do lose though is the proper black the Rift can give, Rift S blacks are kind of gray.

Upvote 0
Since we are talking VR -- have you guys noticed any difference in your FPS over the last week? I've noticed a drop, and before I was pretty locked in at 90. To be fair, I've only noticed it on the grid - in race, zero impact. But now it seems to be jumping around a fair bit.

Upvote 0
Did you actually get to try the Rift S and do a comparison? I was also a bit hesitant to go for the S (I had the regular Rift) as the resolution upgrade is very small on paper. However, the clarity improvement in the image and lack of visible SDE make the Rift S image incredible clear compared to the Rift. I have to say I was very surprised to find that, and the cost of upgrade was only 150e or so, selling my old Rift. What you do lose though is the proper black the Rift can give, Rift S blacks are kind of gray.
That’s my main issue, I have an OLED TV and when I game on that in the dark it’s great but my monitor I have to watch with the lights on so I can only imagine in VR with it right by your eyes and no ambient light it’s even worse.

I was hoping the the StarVR OLED but that looks dead now so only options are LCD really another reason I haven’t switched. I will get eyes on though at some point just to compare for myself.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Forum trophies