What's still missing in AC?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Think we can all agree that we adore this sim but despite the fact the game has reached version 1.x it's far from completed.

Personally I don't understand why AC was labeled 1.0, with some very basic sim racing features missing compared to competing titles on the PC sim racing market, and not just kept early access until all work was done.

To just have an overview of what's still missing I'd like to hear your opinion in this discussion thread.

What's absolutely needed to call AC complete?

You guys mentioned pretty much everything you could find and you are awesome :)
I didnt read of course all 16 pages so, knowing in mind you didnt missed a thing of much bigger importance, ill say that i want active delta-bar in replays

I don't understand why people need to make pit stops less realistic by including a bunch of buttons to set them in the car, you should have to yell into your headset that you need none fuel and left tires and sometimes the pit crew gets it wrong.

At least with the current system there's some variation and opportunity to get ahead during a pit stop, instead of everyone doing exactly 43.8 second stops like in some games.

You're joking, right? In what form of Motorsport do you decide and discuss with your pitcrew what the strategy is, only after you stopped at your pitbox? :roflmao:

The pit strategy is discussed via team radio, and then decided sometimes even laps before you come in. Using the buttons to decide that whilst on track is the equivalent of that - most modern sims have it, hell even Codemasters F1 gives you a modicum of control over it by allowing you to change the tire compound before your next stop.

If anything, the current Assetto Corsa system is less realistic.

Last edited:
If everything is pre-planned then all stops will ahve the same length again and it takes the whole fun out of the damn thing.

Only problem with the pit stops is that you cannot make setup adjustments unless u ESC to pits and basically cheat cos that also removes aby damage your car may have.

rFactor 1 and 2 has had a "Variance" variable since forever, so pitstops can vary slightly in time. In 2015, surely Kunos will be able to manage that.

I really don't find a random factor better than something with skill involved, just imo though.
It is not random. You get a delay when you dont line up the car 100% correctly, so it involves a lot of skill as you want to brake as late as possible from pit speed to 0, but if you lock up or overshoot you will loose several seconds like in reality. That involves a lot more skill than clicking buttons.

Too many issues i don´t like in Assetto Corsa. Make it short: Play Raceroom Racing Experience and feel the difference. This game is close to perfect in my opinion. Only the nice forcefeedback i like more with some cars and the F1-Mods (both). With very speedy cars i like AC, but with GT-cars and slower it feels much to slow. Even on my bicycle i have more speed-immersion.

Different strokes for different folks my friend.

I recently tried R3E again after a long time away from it, purely to test the FFB with my new G27 and I hated it. I've mainly been playing pCARS but I have tried AC for a bit and I love the FFB.

As for what I think is missing, decent AI would be my answer. Racing is a bit bland in AC, but doesn't stop me having fun!

Last edited:
I have tried both Race Room and rFactor2...

On Race Room the steering wheel configuration has been a nightmare for me. I have a vanilla G25 and from using the default G25 controller template to trying to customize the wheel and FF settings I have not being able to make it feel as good as I feel in AC, not even the wheel linearity. I found this pretty weird since is a gMotor engine and never had this issues with rFactor.

On rFactor2 I simply cannot have good FPS without sacrifying graphic details, ending with visuals that looks even worst than I remember in rFactor. I have a decent i2500k and a GTX660 which runs pretty well on AC.

I have heard very good things from these two sims, but that is so far the experience I have with both.

On the other hand, I had to just do so some very few configuration settings on AC and all works smooth for me.

I know AC lacks a lot of stuff outside the driving simulation, but I do not see any impediment to enjoy driving the car and have good race experiences in multiplayer. And for hotlapping and timeattacks, I really enjoy it.

I just came from a Online race.
In the end of the Qualy I left the session by accident, but returned in time for the race start.
But when I returned my session still in Qualy, while the others were on the grid ready to go.
Not only I lost my time, which is acceptable in some way, but after the race started to all drivers, to me I was still in Qualy with the clock on 0:00.
I saw everyone there racing and to me there was a checkered flag and I never was part of the race, even if I was able to join the track and stuff.

So...to me...Multiplayer improvements all the way, please.

I just came from a Online race.
In the end of the Qualy I left the session by accident, but returned in time for the race start.
But when I returned my session still in Qualy, while the others were on the grid ready to go.
Not only I lost my time, which is acceptable in some way, but after the race started to all drivers, to me I was still in Qualy with the clock on 0:00.
I saw everyone there racing and to me there was a checkered flag and I never was part of the race, even if I was able to join the track and stuff.

So...to me...Multiplayer improvements all the way, please.
I assume you left by accident thanks to clicking the 'Exit' button one pixel away from the 'Back To Pits' button.

So dumb - the game, not you... ;)

Thought so - I've done the same many times. After claiming pole with seconds to go in a really tight field, I nearly ripped the wheel of it's mounts to throw at the monitor.

I've no idea why the button isn't in a different place or a 'Are You Sure?' notice doesn't pop up.

Really? I've never even noticed this 'exit' button, I always quit by going back to pits and hitting the exit button at the bottom left.
Exit_Screen.jpg

the two main issues when I'm using AC:
  • AI. They park on the apex of corners and when they hit your car (frequent occurrence), they can drive straight through as if they are in a truck. Annoying.
  • Selection of 1st gear at start of race not allowed. Obviously, resolving this issue is considered very low priority, but it is a big deal.
The rest - fine as it is.

I don't know if this has been posted, but for me:

- More actual race cars (there's only a few in the game, I would like more)
- Categorize by series (rF/rF2 allows you create/categorize an entire group (2, or more, cars) into a racing series, would be nice to do the same (like a GT series with GT cars, etc)), right now, it's really single-make races with multiple skins.
- Full Championship implementation (Cars/Series/Standings)
- UI tweaks (when viewing the qualifying/race in the pits, make the option buttons smaller, and have a current standings chart (or the ability to switch it on/off) would be awesome)
- Sticking with viewing. Allowing to switch up, and down, through the other cars on track would be great as well

There are more game-play tweaks, but I would just be largely happy with this. This game has WAY more promise (including for the modders, which is way better than the convoluted rFactor/rFactor2 system that makes making any mod for the game a chore), hope they at least address these issues in the next update.

the two main issues when I'm using AC:
  • Selection of 1st gear at start of race not allowed. Obviously, resolving this issue is considered very low priority, but it is a big deal.
The rest - fine as it is.

We'll have to wait for that longer than imagined... as long as penalties are not changed, too early starts won't be penalized.
And it surely is the same reason for ... manual pitlimiter. :(

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea