F1 2010 Turning Tire and Fuel simulation OFF. big difference vs ai

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
wow. What a difference. Maybe i just got the hang of how the game plays, or something. I had one heck of an intense battle over 10 laps or so for 9th position on Barcelona. slowly chipping away, diving in, not quite getting the position, then starting all over.

everything else on hardest difficulty, just turning these to options off. I had read that the AI doesnt actually run with the full fuel weights and was just curious to try it. Ended up running a whole race just cuz it was so much FUN, and INTENSE. Btw using 50% race distance for career.

Just a quick note, I'm convinced the tyre physics are dumbed down when Tyre simulation is turned off. Try it for yourself, I have, my lap times are at least 2-3 seconds slower with it on and the car has less grip overall even with fresh tyres, it will now undesteer if I enter high speed sweepers too fast rather than keep turning in and it's harder to get the power down out of slower corners.

The time trial mode has this turned off by default, which explains the very fast lap times. The game plays so much more like an arcade game with tyre simulation off.

I won the first two races compared to my mate who was running the same difficulty settings apart from tyre and fuel sim.
When I turned it on it made a massive difference. Will be happy if I can finish 10th now. The opposition just walk away from me in the straights. Probably a lot more realistic but not what I was expecting.

I ran a full race weekend in Bahrain for Lotus, on expert settings, but with TC set to medium and Tyre sim off.

P1 in all 3 practice sessions.
P1 in all 3 quali sessions.
P1 in 30% race.

With a Lotus...

Tyre sim ON it is then. Just hope they fix the random punctures which occur way too often.

Tyre sim ON it is then. Just hope they fix the random punctures which occur way too often.

It is the damage model, not the tire model doing that. I read that on codies forum, tried a couple full races with damage at visual only and not a single pop. Sucks having to turn damage off though. On the bright side AI did seem to respond to damage, the one incident I saw was on the 2nd to last corner and the broken car pitted.

I for some reason haven't been experiencing heaps of random punctures like everyone else has been. I've had 3 or 4 while accelerating out of gravel (understandable to me) and I had 1 about half a lap after getting lightly rear ended by the car behind me. So I haven't bother trying to turn tyre sim off. I did however trying turning fuel sim off and didn't notice a difference.

Fuel sim makes the car heavier during races (doesnt seem to do anything in qualifying), with it on you will notice that in a straight line your car is slower than all the others, you will need to brake earlier, carry less speed through corners etc. As the laps go by the car gets lighter and thus performance improves.

If you turn it off then the car will perform as in qualifying, so better acceleration, braking, corner speed etc at the start of the race.

Tyre sim basicly adds tyre temperature and tyre wear into the equation. If you turn off tyre sim you can use as many sets of option/prime as you want, the tyres wont lose grip after a few laps or go bad, and you will (i think) always have optimum temperature/grip with them.

In qualifying the tyre sim is huge, having it on makes you a lot slower, fuel sim doesnt seem to do anything there, as the car is on low fuel anyway. In a race both have a huge effect, with them both on a Lotus will be fighting in the bottom half of the grid, you will struggle to go any better without bullying your way and risking penalties, turn them off and you will compete with red bulls in a race.

I have completed one season, and now into race 4 on my second.... This is my setup.

Race Assists OFF
Tyre Sim ON
Fuel Sim ON
Legendary Difficulty
20% - 40% race length (depending on whether I liked track or not)

Season 1 - Virgin Racing
In qualifying - I could rarely get above 12th, and in races - I only generally finished higher due to pit-stop strategies. I won 2 races in the season.
Melbourne (started dry, finished wet - I stopped twice, most AI stopped 3 times)
Abu Dhabi (dry - although AI seemed a bit slow round some corners.)

In total I got 78 championship points and finished 7th overall (punching well above my wait I think)

Season 2 (so far) - BMW Sauber, with same sim settings.
R1 Bahrain - Practice 10th - Qualify 3rd - Race 1st
R2 Melbourne - Practice 3rd - Qualify 5th - Race 6th
R3 Malaysia - Practice 8th - Qualify 8th - Race 4th

I thought the tyre sim, fuel sim were the key factors... but actually racing for BMW Sauber, thing seem way more realistic and fair, in perspective. The Virgin was slow (even when right behind team mates car) and could never keep up with most of the cars on a straight. Now am racing for BMW, and only the top 4 constructors have a better straight line speed/acceleration it seems, and I can stay competitive through an entire lap rather than just around a few favoured corners. Having these options off, is basically arcade mode, which explains it being muchier easier to race and win.

Also you start without any R&D upgrades, which I think the AI all have from the start (incl your teammate) which also plays a part.

The tyre simulation seems correct... for a few reasons/observations.
- Unless you are driving 100% smoothly (and I dont, even with a wheel) your traction ability will affect the driving line of your previous lap, unless you lower your speed.
- The AI drives the same every lap, just with fractional speed changes to cornering (hence why the first point becomes more apparent/noticeable when its off)
- Tyre degredation is calculated on race length - so Options on a 100% race may last 20 laps, whereas would only last 4 laps on a 20% race (which explains the dramatic loss in grip or race ability from one lap to another - the gradient is more steep)

And as for fuel simulation...
- When its off the cars are more competitive as it doesnt affect torque. Which explains why nearly every car left me behind on a straight in the Virgin car, which seems the weakest of them all.
- The gradual weight change dramatically affects your lap times (have noticed this in both Virgin and BMW Sauber) in a 40% race you can lose as much as 8secs off your race pace.
- Fuel Sim ON also affects car handling... In the Virgin car, Fuel Sim OFF - I couldnt out-break most cars into corners, but was more competitive on the straights - and with Fuel Sim ON, it seemed the opposite.

Anyway long story short, the games simulation settings seem more realistic/fair depending on the car you are driving... And I dont think the AI are exempt from it (during a race anyway)

One race point I have noticed and has really helped is; if your engine screams on 3rd gear or lower... Your losing acceleration potential. Can mean the difference between reaching 185mph on a straight or 190mph and ultimately an opponent pulling away or not.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back