F1 2010 Time Trial Week #6 Silverstone, England (Dry)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
6dquty.jpg

Hey everyone,

Welcome to time trial week this is basically people will drive lap times on designated tracks and post their times here. Also if you could provide some kind of proof say photo or for 360 and PS3 users just leave a gamertag/PS3 ID so one of our staff can just verify these times are not false.

This weeks track is Silverstone (Dry)

So basically you can put in as many laps as possible and your best can be posted here:

The closing day for this thread and results for times is Tuesday next at 9pm (UK Time)

The race settings are as follows

Dynamic Racing Line: Off
TCS: Off
ABS: Off
Gears: Manual/Auto

I needed to ellaborate on this as there are a few people who are putting up times with aids on and these times will not count.

Cheers Peeps and enjoy

Rules:
- upload your picture to www.tinypic.com (or make a nice video)
- post your picture here at the forum
- don't upload pictures directly to the forum
- take a screenshot with your best time showing or of the ranks
- no driving aids are allowed
- mention if you did your time on a PC, xbox or ps3

Welcome and nice time, Steve!

I will try to get some good racers along here. I like the casuality of this competition, and dont mind if there isn't hundreds of us. But the fact that it doesnt allow assist is relaxing feature for me, cause I dont mind losing with fair rules. But getting rammed and slammed by duded full throttling with TC online is tough on my old heart.

If allowing assists, especially traction control, please keep it separate. One of the things I like about this competition is that everyone is racing on even terms. Hopefully this will encourage more people to learn to race without assists!

Welcome and nice time, Steve!

thx man, knocked about half a second off my time tonight, 1 more second to find till I reach your scorching time :p

Was wondering watching your lap: do you take that first corner (copse I believe?) flat out? It seems like it from your vid, I just can't do it, always need to lift off quite a lot to prevent going too wide

I know where I'm losing time, just need to figure out how to avoid that :D

Was wondering watching your lap: do you take that first corner (copse I believe?) flat out? It seems like it from your vid, I just can't do it, always need to lift off quite a lot to prevent going too wide

Yeah, I'm wondering that too! Was racing Thomas's ghost car and always lost a lot of time right at the start (not the mention the rest of the track, but the start especially).

Just wanted to try out the game after fresh install, so loaded up silverstone and gave it a go..
managed a 1.26.622 with the first lap.. so didnt try after that..

UPDATE : 1.26.152 (Missed The Loop and Village Corner pretty bad, atleast .5 sec for sure)

Right, I'm off for a crack at this. I found this site while looking for a car setup for Silverstone because I'm rubbish at it, 1:38:5 with Corners Only racing line in my Virgin. As for using assists, I know I'm faster with TC and ABS but prefer not to use them, it's the racing line that's going to hurt me, just on my first season so don't know many (any) of the tracks that well. I'll post a time when I'm done but I don't expect to even beat the time I took in the Virgin.

Really impressed with you guys using cockpit view and manual gears as well.

Welcome, BobMule =) The help line isnt really an assist in the same sense as TC and ABS, and I agree that it could just as well be allowed. The only problem is that it then shows up on the leaderboard as assists been used, and makes it very difficult for us to know if TC and ABS were used too.
Please join us and try the McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari as those cars seem to be faster than the Virgin.

Thanks Tomas.

I think I'm wasting my time here.....

Since posting earlier I tried in the McLaren with everything off.... not only could I not get a valid lap, most of the time I was invalidating the next lap. Then I thought, why not have a run with corners only racing line on to leave a ghost to chase. I got a lap in at 1:32 and then turned the racing line off..... That was about 2 hours ago and I still don't have a valid lap without the racing line. I can beat the ghost through sector 1 by 0.6s but then there's nothing in front of me to watch..... not that it matters much anyway, the ghost doesn't have a brake light! :) I've even found myself slowing down through the first corner to let the ghost in front.

I'll get a valid time in yet, it's just a matter of how long it takes me. I'm going to have a beer and try the drink drive approach now. :)

Well most online players for example, about 85 % (guessing) doesnt make it under 1,30 on this track even with assists. So just keep practicing.
You could start with the engine set to cruise, and not bother trying to push 100%, maybe only 50 % to just find the braking points and turn in points. After that it will be much easier.

PS. Drinking and driving as very dangerous
PPS. I think I'm gonna go buy some beers too =)

I usually put the racing line aid for a few laps when I don't know the circuit well, just to get a feel of the braking points, gear to take corners in,...

However I find some corners the racing line is too conservative, so you can in fact brake later than it shows, other corners it's too tight, where I overshoot the corner if i follow the racing line. You need to find braking points for every corner, a marker on the side of the road, distance to kerbs, a tree,... It takes a while to have them spot on and memorized, but once you find 'em its much more fun to drive like that.

Also like thomas said, don't push to the limit at first, just do a few mellow laps, gradually building up speed till you hit that limit.

You're absolutely right Tomas, the beer done me no good whatsoever and I finished the night without a valid lap.

I started again a couple of hours ago though and got three valid laps:

1:39.315
1:35.315
1:32.890

Unfortunately I need to beat the time I did with the corners on before it will register without aids so I have 1:32.224 to beat. Despite being able to do sector 1 around a second quicker, I've only once beat the ghost out of the first corner of sector 2 only to have it pass me on the next two corners. At least I'm making progress though.

I'm not bothered that I'm miles of the pace, this is a really good way to learn the tracks and Silverstone (tied with Istanbul) is my least favourite.

Steve, I had noticed that the braking points aren't always right, Istanbul and Silverstone have a few where you need to break earlier and Montreal (my favourite track so far) has a corner (the one at the pits) where you can brake much later then the line.

From looking at some of the videos here and from what some of you have said I'm assuming a steering wheel, cockpit view and manual gears are the preferred options?

From looking at some of the videos here and from what some of you have said I'm assuming a steering wheel, cockpit view and manual gears are the preferred options?

cockpit view is down to preference, I like it, others prefer the Tcam usually.
Manual gears are a must, it helps you control the revs, helps with carrying the speed through the corners and keep a good 'flow' throughout the track.
Steering wheel and pedals especially are important as well, pedals allow progressive throttle input through corners and exiting them, steering wheel allows for more precision.

as for using dynamic racing line, i really dont think of that being an assist.. i guess atleast DRL could be allowed.. but the problem being, there's no way to know wat assist was used..Anyways, my updated time, missed the vale and last corner pretty bad again..

f12010game2010120515470.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back