Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition review

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition
Background:

Well...im old...ancient someone would say. My first contact with simracing was Geoff Crammond´s excellent Formula One Grand Prix in 1990´s and since then I have driven numerous driving games with Assetto Corsa being the latest one. I have owned and destroyed several wheels from manufacturer´s like Microsoft, Logitech and Fanatec so I would call myself as a experienced driver with average driving skills.
I have been relatively happy with my Fanatec CSR wheel and Clubsport V1 setup but sometimes you just want to try something new and hopefully better. Fanatec Clubsport Wheel would have been one good choice but it was just too pricey and possible future warranty issues made me look elsewhere. Thrustmaster T500 RS is nice but the newer design, brushless motor and better belt system convinced me to buy 458 Italia wheel. Having owned and destroyed a Logitech G25 in my previous life the newly released Thrustmaster TX 458 for 300 Euro´s was the only real choice for me. Luckily it was Christmas so Santa Claus helped me get this wheel. Thanks Santa, I owe you one...or two. :)

First impression & some numbers:
"What the .... Why in earth did I buy this piece of toy wheel" was my first thought after opening the box and lifting the unattached wheel. The two things that really striked out badly was the yellow Ferrari logo and the 2-way Manettino switch which really makes the wheel look cheap. The wheel rim building material looks and feels almost the same as found in early 90´s Nissan dashboard´s. Luckily appearances can sometimes be deceptive as the wheel "quality" will grow on you.
The wheel rim weight is approximately 730 gramms and its 28 cm in diameter. The power supply is inside of the base unit which weight is about 3,9 kg compared to Fanatec´s 2,9kg including the wheel but without the external power supply. In PC-mode you have total 13 buttons and a D-pad in your disposal.

2013-12-29-321_zps0f909630.jpg

Gas and brake pedals are made of metal,base from light plastic and the total weight is approximately 1,36kg. Brake has progressive resistance and the gas pedal feels quite stiff. Pedals connects directly to wheel base and they are not USB compatible.

2013-12-29-331_zps383723af.jpg

Wheel can be attached to table/cockpit with good clamping system or more permanently with built-in screw threads. After attaching the steering wheel and making the required firmware update for PC I was ready to Rock´n Roll.

Driving impression´s:
I could feel big difference between the CSR and Thrustmaster TX as soon as I accelerated out of the pits with my rFactor 2 Corvette.In straight line the 458 Italia will give you much more information about the car suspension movement and the bumps on the road. In corners I could feel the change in grip much more clearly and earlier stage than I did with Fanatec CSR. Steering response feels faster, more direct and FFB in whole felt much better. CSR has small FFB deadzone where you dont feel any feedback but with TX you feel the FFB almost whole range of wheels turning range.

With Assetto Corsa the difference between the wheels was smaller but Thrustmaster still feels superior of these two. Again the Thrusmaster feels so accurate,direct and fast to react drivers every steering input. Driving BMW Z4 GT3 with CSR feel´s just little bit boring but the TX wheel made the car more enjoyable and exciting to drive.
Gear leavers are made of strong metal and have nice solid feel to them. They are quite short to allow easy access to back buttons so I needed some time finding right position for my hands and fingers. That ugly Manettino switch works but they really shoud have used better quality switch in that one. Other buttons feel OK but for me the Fanatec has better buttons and the wheel rim in whole feels better. Pedals look and feel quite cheap but surprisingly they work much better than their appearance might suggest.

Conclusion: Connect the dots
FFB quality and the base unit are definitely the best part of this wheel . Driving with this wheel is true pleasure because FFB is strong, detailed and fast. Thrustmaster really should have used better quality materials with the rim and the pedals. Luckily you can always use Thrustmaster T500 RS add-on wheels and pedals or use USB pedals from another manufacturer. Thrustmaster plans to release improved T3PA pedals which includes a clutch pedal. I think this package is OK starting point for newcomer but I would definitely buy new pedals if I was serious about simracing. Im relatively happy with the rim so currently I have no plans to buy the 100€ Ferrari 458 GTE wheel add-on which should be much better in quality wise.

The GOOD:
+ FFB is very good
+ Base is made of strong, good quality plastic
+ Many buttons, even behind the wheel
+ Accurate and reacts fast to drivers input
+ Good clamp that will stop the base from moving.
+ Gear leavers are made of thick metal and changing gear feels quite good
+ Ability to use add-on wheels and pedals

The BAD:
- Pedals are light weight,looks and feels cheap. Surprisingly they do work moderately well
- Wheel rim looks cheap and the build quality should have been better. It does work & feels better than first impression might suggest
- Loud fan under stress
- No power switch
- USB cable can't be removed
- No clutch pedal

a5a7aca0-ad99-4251-a303-c93a8a359830_zps3e4dbe7e.jpg
047ad420-651b-403f-87c6-87cc81337b11_zps0c5b8cb6.jpg

2013-12-29-305_zpsb9a2a6e6.jpg

2013-12-29-312_zpsf21e7049.jpg

05.02.2014 UPDATE:

My Thrustmaster TX is dead so rest in peace my friend...you will be sorely missed.:(
But luckily his twin brother has arrived. ;)

One morning about 10 days ago my wheel went completely dead, no lights or any wheel movement at all so the electronics must have failed.
I contacted my local dealer and they replaced my wheel in 10 days . Whole process could have been 2-3 days shorter but they didnt have the wheel on stock so Im very happy how fast they replaced my wheel. I also e-mailed Thustmaster twice and both time they replied in 24 hours so no complaints about their reply speed.
According to my local dealer over 10% TX wheels have been returned back for warranty repairs. Other users have also experienced wheel failures so there seems to be slight quality problem with first batch of the TX Wheel.

I still like the wheel very much. :)

Last edited:
Sure make sense that the lighter wheel make it easier for the ffb motor to overcome it. in rFactor 2 I need to run min torque at over 5 % for the motor being able to nudge my wheel rims on my T500RS. Hope to be able to lower it significantly for the TX.

Does anybody know exactly how much the F1 integral rim weight btw?
I only have the wii fit balance board and it´s not all that precise ;)

I know you don´t agree but if the T500RS lack torque I am confident the TX do so also Then such a big difference in weight would be easilly noticable.

If I go from my FI integral rim to my bigger rims. I don´t really sense much difference in weight but distribution is more centered on the F1 rim which together with it´s smaller diameter make it easier for the ffb motor to change direction faster and make it feel a bit more alive.

I just won a bid on a TX with the GTE so will be interesting to see how it fairs.

Upvote 0
Sure make sense that the lighter wheel make it easier for the ffb motor to overcome it. in rFactor 2 I need to run min torque at over 5 % for the motor being able to nudge my wheel rims on my T500RS. Hope to be able to lower it significantly for the TX.

Does anybody know exactly how much the F1 integral rim weight btw?
I only have the wii fit balance board and it´s not all that precise ;)

I know you don´t agree but if the T500RS lack torque I am confident the TX do so also Then such a big difference in weight would be easilly noticable.

If I go from my FI integral rim to my bigger rims. I don´t really sense much difference in weight but distribution is more centered on the F1 rim which together with it´s smaller diameter make it easier for the ffb motor to change direction faster and make it feel a bit more alive.

I just won a bid on a TX with the GTE so will be interesting to see how it fairs.

I never said the T500 lacks torque. Its the strongest FFB on the market without going with the high end wheels like Bodnar, ECCI or Frex. I said the TX is about 10-20% weaker than the T500 but still more than enough for most people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A nice gentlemen at the iRacing forum was nice enough to create a graph of how the TX compares to the T500 in regards to response based on the Wheel Check program that I ran on my TX. As you can see, its similar to what my impressions were. The TX is able to respond to direction changes with more force than the T500 but has slightly less initial force. You can also see that the heavier GTE wheel add-on slows the TX down a little and makes response a little slower but the overall force appears to be about the same as the stock Italia wheel.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lEZSa1ZvXhmahj42ddc/edit?pli=1#gid=1268261510

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don´t dare to take that for a fact seeing the multitude of rims that is out there? Whos chart is it so I can ask :)

What wheel check programme is used?. I will be able to try next week hopefully :)
Also is it verified that 75 % on the TX control panel is the most linear setting available for the TX?

Upvote 0
I don´t dare to take that for a fact seeing the multitude of rims that is out there? Whos chart is it so I can ask :)

What wheel check programme is used?. I will be able to try next week hopefully :)
Also is it verified that 75 % on the TX control panel is the most linear setting available for the TX?

I'll have to get his username from the iRacing forum when I get home, can't access it from work. It was the same guy that asked me to run the whell check program in the Thrustmaster TX thread in the hardware forum. I believe you also posted in that thread stating you had just purchased a TX so you should be able to look his name up. He sent me the graph through a PM though after I posted the test results. The Wheel Check program is the same one that David Tucker of iRacing created. No, it is not verified that 75% on the TX control panel is the most linear but I did post various overall FFB settings here:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/iracing-ffb.86240/page-2

The linear curve doesn't seem to change much at various settings, only the strength. I think only Fanatec wheels work in this regard that the actual linearity changes with the overall FFB setting. Most other wheels on the market just apply more or less force with the same curve from what I've seen. 75% overall FFB is just the default setting in the TM control panel for the TX, just like 60% is for the T500.

Upvote 0
Yes I will dig deeper in that thread. I am a bit frustrated at the moment I will probably not receive my TX before the weekend lol.

As for linearity you can check this link and see how the wheels differ under different force settings http://f-wheel.com/reviews/csr-elite-wheel-benchmarked?page=1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the current ClubSport wheel is the replacement for the older CSR Elite wheel. I believe the design is almost identical except that the electronics in the ClubSport are different, possibly updated, but the basic design and chassis is the same. I wouldn't think the measurements would be too drastically different between the ClubSport and the CSR Elite. If you look at the link I provided you, a current ClubSport wheel with Formula rim was represented in that graph so you should be able to see how the TX compares. Based on what I'm seeing, it would appears that the ClubSport with Formula rim has better response than any other wheel in that chart especially when you factor change of direction and force available. Its not a great deal better than the TX but it does look slightly better in measurements. That being said, the TX arguably performs better than the T500 in that chart also and many people have gone from a ClubSport or CSR Elite to a T500 and considered it an upgrade.

The point I'm getting at here is that sometimes raw numbers on paper don't necessarily paint the best picture when it comes to subjective feedback on how the FFB feels from a wheel. Case in point, the GTE wheel slows down the TX wheel's response time but most people that have the GTE wheel prefer how it feels in use comapred to the stock Italia wheel. How would that be possible if strictly looking at raw numbers on paper the stock Italita wheel is superior? Its subjective, that's why. I like looking at numbers as much as the next person and sometimes it has validity and can help paint a picture but when you're talking about something that is sensory perceptive like the FFB a wheel gives you, then it becomes more subjective and you can throw numbers out the window to a degree.

One more thing I would like to add and this is a proven psychological fact. A person's opinion can be swayed when presented with data beforehand that paints a specific picture. In other words, if everything you read was that the G27 was the best wheel on the market, all of the numbers says its superior, then you when you actually try it, you are more likely to think its superior based strictly on your perception of what it should be and you would question your own subjectivity if you felt it wasn't the best because the data says it is, so it must be. The T500 or TX on paper could look worse than a Fanatec ClubSport but might feel every bit superior to you when you actually use one. How is this possible? Subjectivity.That's why I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the numbers, let your hands determine that for you. Just my .02

Upvote 0
They launched at roughly the same time. Share a lot but CSW have features like quick release and I also think that magnetic sensor is placed a bit differently and there is some higher standards on the material used. But yes they have a lot in common. The majority hold the CSW in higher regard then the T500RS while it´s working anyway it looks like to me.

I guess this science/go by feel debate is similar to what we have in audio. Some like their audio equipment to measure good if they are after the truth whereas others don´t really mind colourations and just go by ear and something more exciting or whatever they are after. I don´t think you do yourself a favour ignoring science we are subjective beings so easy to get fooled much more so then if we wouldn´t use science to influence our purchases and just go by design or whatever.

458 to GTE rim it is probably just the same as I have with the F1 and my after market rims. It´s just nicer with solid metal, leather, or suede with no flex then plastics and rubbers. Flex itself make the ffb less accurate! Hardmount the TX or use the clamp you will notice the difference if you have a solid cockpit.

The aftermarket rims uses better material and feel better in hand while negating a drawback with the T500RS in that it has a really coggy feel due to the ffb motor used versus the older Fanatec belt driven wheels I used. It´s just less noticable.

TX should knock on wood not suffer from this or at least to a much less extent so that may change my preferences more towards the F1 rim again particularly if I do find it having even less torque then the T500RS.

So yes no I can´t say exactly how things will pan out but a chart can say more then thousand words I don´t understand why that should be censored in favour for what subjective feel? How is that more accurate.

Maybe when we get to servo motor wheels they have so few cons have no problem with linearity at different power levels and infinite amount of torque, very low internal damping from the direct drive but these belt driven and cog driven consumer stuff is very compromised.

Upvote 0
They launched at roughly the same time. Share a lot but CSW have features like quick release and I also think that magnetic sensor is placed a bit differently and there is some higher standards on the material used. But yes they have a lot in common. The majority hold the CSW in higher regard then the T500RS while it´s working anyway it looks like to me.

I guess this science/go by feel debate is similar to what we have in audio. Some like their audio equipment to measure good if they are after the truth whereas others don´t really mind colourations and just go by ear and something more exciting or whatever they are after. I don´t think you do yourself a favour ignoring science we are subjective beings so easy to get fooled much more so then if we wouldn´t use science to influence our purchases and just go by design or whatever.

458 to GTE rim it is probably just the same as I have with the F1 and my after market rims. It´s just nicer with solid metal, leather, or suede with no flex then plastics and rubbers. Flex itself make the ffb less accurate! Hardmount the TX or use the clamp you will notice the difference if you have a solid cockpit.

The aftermarket rims uses better material and feel better in hand while negating a drawback with the T500RS in that it has a really coggy feel due to the ffb motor used versus the older Fanatec belt driven wheels I used. It´s just less noticable.

TX should knock on wood not suffer from this or at least to a much less extent so that may change my preferences more towards the F1 rim again particularly if I do find it having even less torque then the T500RS.

So yes no I can´t say exactly how things will pan out but a chart can say more then thousand words I don´t understand why that should be censored in favour for what subjective feel? How is that more accurate.

Maybe when we get to servo motor wheels they have so few cons have no problem with linearity at different power levels and infinite amount of torque, very low internal damping from the direct drive but these belt driven and cog driven consumer stuff is very compromised.

Yes, its very much like audio, its sensory perception and its subjective, even when you have measurements and data to compare.

My TX is hard mounted to a wheel stand pro and it doesn't move, I don't use the clamp at all. There's no flex.

As I've stated before, I believe the TX to be considerably smoother than the T500 and far less cogging.

The TX has less torque at maximum output levels but its not far behind and in some ways it just does better. I've never had my T500 wheel snatched from hands before, I have had the TX wheel snatched from my hands. I attribute this to the speed at which it can react. I've hit walls before and lost grip of my wheel when the motor jerked hard in one direction, and when its applying full force, you would be hard pressed to turn the wheel against the force of the motor. I've had to use the car reset button many times because the wheel was pulling so hard in one direction, I couldn't possibly straighten it without risking damage to the wheel. Bottom line, the FFB is strong when it needs to be, really strong.

Servo wheels are probably the future, like everything else though, cutting edge tech takes time to make affordable. Sim racing is growing these days by leaps and bounds and I see high end wheels that are unaffordable today being completely affordable in 2-3 years.

Upvote 0
Servo wheels are probably the future, like everything else though, cutting edge tech takes time to make affordable. Sim racing is growing these days by leaps and bounds and I see high end wheels that are unaffordable today being completely affordable in 2-3 years.

I really hope so
in fact I think I'll be going for that accuforce once it comes out

one question though:
I read in this thread that smaller rims give better feedback,
in other threads bigger rims do
so what is it now?

Upvote 0
I really hope so
in fact I think I'll be going for that accuforce once it comes out

one question though:
I read in this thread that smaller rims give better feedback,
in other threads bigger rims do
so what is it now?

Lighter rims, not necessarily bigger or smaller. Bigger or smaller diameter is a driver preference. Lighter rims have less weight to rotate therefore the motor can move the wheel quicker which leads to more sensitivity.

Upvote 0
X2

The diameter do play a role too and how the weight is distributed on the rim. The center of inertia. My F1 rim and my bigger 320 mm rim for example weight exactly the same but big difference in feel not only due to the very different grip. In a blind test I am not sure somebody could figure out it´s the same ffb wheel driving them.

F1 rim do give better feedback though the bigger rim make the T500RS feel quite a bit smoother so pick your poison. It´s not a pro all the time being able to feel how the wheel is constructed :)

Upvote 0
I couldn´t find the guy doing the tests on iRacing.

I picked up my TX today but it appear I am missing some usb adapter. I have some PS2ish end of the usb cable and then I got another blue usbish cable that don´t go anywhere maybe it´s an extension cable for the adapter I don´t have or something. Wonder if it´s something I could find locally.

btw if I just connect the power should I get any calibration or lights going unless it´s dead?

Upvote 0
I couldn´t find the guy doing the tests on iRacing.

I picked up my TX today but it appear I am missing some usb adapter. I have some PS2ish end of the usb cable and then I got another blue usbish cable that don´t go anywhere maybe it´s an extension cable for the adapter I don´t have or something. Wonder if it´s something I could find locally.

btw if I just connect the power should I get any calibration or lights going unless it´s dead?

You're missing the breakaway cable most likely, it has one end that goes to the cable from the wheel and the other end is a USB cable. I think its the same as the breakaway cable they used on the Xbox 360, but I can't swear to it until I get home and look at it. If so, those can be purchased.

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Wired-Control...868&sr=8-7&keywords=xbox 360 controller cable

You will not get any calibration until the USB cable is connected to the PC. Just the power cable itself won't do anything. The lights on the wheel don't even come on until you connect the USB cable, It uses the USB cable as an on/off switch.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back