Thrustmaster T818 or Fanatec DD1?

Current TS300RS user planning to upgrade to direct drive for Christmas.

At first it was a clear choice for the T818 but after adding extra quick release and the mounting accessories it's more $750 to $800 realisitically.

With the DD1 on sale for $999 I was wondering if it's a better choice.

The big difference of course is the 10nm vs 20nm feedback.

Since I'm using PC I'll be fine with my current pedals, shifter, e-brake so I don't think going Fanatec will be a problem in terms of ecosystem.

Another reason for Fanatec is that my current Thrustmaster rim is the Leather 28 GT which is a little small. I didn't see any other leather rims for Thrustmaster so I was looking at the Sparco R383 rim which is I believe seude. This probably means I need to invest in gloves which could be another $20 (mechanix) to $200 dollars (OMP/Sparco)

Fanatec has more options for leather. I was thinking the R330 clubsport rim which I believe can be mounted on DD1 with the included ClubSport Universal hub.

If I go the T818/R383 route it will be $1000 but $1200 with upper tier gloves.

If I go DD1/R330 it would be a little under $1400.

Prices are before tax and shipping.

I'm a super casual "simmer" I like to drift around in Forza (and AC) but I also try to race on the circuit and rally in the more serious games like AC ACC Automobilista 2 rFactor2 and DiRT Rally 2.

For the price difference it seems l should definitely consider the DD1 as well.

1. Is the DD1 overkill for me?

2. How big is the difference and the experience between 10nm and 20nm? (Remember I'm coming from a T300RS)

3. Is it really worth it to go seude/alcantara AND purchase gloves? I think leather is fine and I don't have to worry as much about wear.

4. What do you guys think?

Have you seen the new Fanatec ClubSport DD bases?

Watch some vids, people are saying good things about them, the ClubSport DD+ might be even better than the DD1 as it's got newer tech in it.

And the new ClubSport DDs will come with the new QR v2 - which is way better than the v1.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea