The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Since 1979 Mecachrome has been involved with Renault Sport, the motorsport division of Renault (though today its F1 operations are conducted through Renault Sport F1, a separate group company).

From 1983 Renault began to supply other teams with engines, Mecachrome was given the responsibility of preparing the engines for these customer teams (e.g. Lotus-Renault in 1983 and Ligier-Renault in 1984). In 1985 Renault withdrew from Formula One as a constructor and withdrew from engine supply for the 1987 season. In 1989 Renault returned to F1 as engine supplier to WilliamsF1 (and Ligier from 1992), with Mecachrome again responsible for preparing the engines for the team.

Renault engines powered Williams and Benetton to six consecutive Constructors' World Championships between 1992 and 1997, and five Drivers' titles with Nigel Mansell (1992), Alain Prost (1993), Michael Schumacher (1995), Damon Hill (1996) and Jacques Villeneuve (1997).

In 1995 Benetton acquired Ligier's stock of Renault V10 engines. In 1996 Renault was privatised and the same year announced its withdrawal from Formula One after the 1997 season. In order to avoid protest by shareholders regarding costs of engine development, Mecachrome agreed to pay Renault for the development work in order to continue the relationship. The 1998 engines supplied to Williams carried the Mecachrome name, while Benetton's engines were badged as "Playlife".

In 1998 Flavio Briatore's company, Super Performance Competition Engineering, signed a distribution agreement with Mecachrome to begin in the 1999 season. The engines were purchased and rebadged as Supertec. Supertecs powered Williams in 1999, BAR in 1999 and Arrows in 2000.

In 2001 Renault returned to Formula One by purchasing the Benetton team and the Renault designed engines again carried the Renault name. The relationship remains unchanged, with Renault responsible for design and Mecachrome assembly; this relationship helped Renault win a constructors' and driver's F1 championship "double-double" in 2005-2006 with Fernando Alonso.

Mecachrome-assembled Renault engines powered the Red Bull Racing Formula One team to the Constructors' Championship and Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel to the World Drivers' Championship in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Manta measuring,front suspension now have great points, rear on next week.
20773668_1476547369060381_714495507_o.jpg
20773692_1476547389060379_2088448706_o.jpg
20807043_1476547375727047_64644508_o.jpg
20813079_1476547372393714_1987768145_o.jpg
diam.jpg
diam1.jpg

Hey Folks

Just wanna say first off this thread is the bollocks, its truly inspiring. keep up the good work everyone

Ok so WIP video

ITS COMING ALONG, adding 30s growds and what not, need a little more vegetation around the place, its still a way off, 3d grass needs redoing in places (I got lazy, its a little straight and catches the eye), performance is a bit off at the moment (need to group and LOD loads of stuff but that will get sorted).

So if any of you lot want to download and do some testing or just try out were i'm at, contact me on PM and i will send you a link to download - ALL I ASK IS PLEASE DON'T UPLOAD/SHARE ANYWHERE YET

I'm looking for honest feedback, constructive though, don't be diks

Thanks

Perrin's approach is that more can be gained through transparency and collaboration than secrecy and proprietary solutions.

It's unfortunate that his name triggers an automatic association with "The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin" in my brain. :whistling:

For those not familiar with the books or TV series, "Reggie" had a midlife crisis that led to the founding of Grot, a store which openly sold you trash, goods that were useless or revolting, rather than pretending to sell you something of quality whilst actually selling you worthless junk. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_and_Rise_of_Reginald_Perrin for some giggles or, better, search Youtube.

That texturing is really quite amazing, @A3DR raising the bar like always. :)

Thanks Gary, going for a different approach this time, similar to what I did with the F79 but now I've textured it 100% with a workflow similar to UE4 texturing, but using specular (Diffuse + Gloss + Spec + Normal) instead of metallic/roughness maps, as they're more compatible with what AC works with.

Here's how each part looks in UE4:
screen01.jpg
screen03.jpg
screen04.jpg

The tricky part is to get the same detail into AC, that's where the NMdetail shader comes into play since some of the normal detail gets lost when resizing. Right now the car is made up of 10 different textures.

@A3DR
This is gonna truely be a triple A mod!:thumbsup:

Remmbemmbemm...remmbemmbemm - every time is see the mod - i can´t get the sound out of my head.:)

And the smell of burned castor oil is suddenly all around my nose...(old times 2 stroke racing oil had been made with castor oil as ingredience);):)

Hey Folks

Just wanna say first off this thread is the bollocks, its truly inspiring. keep up the good work everyone

Ok so WIP video

ITS COMING ALONG, adding 30s growds and what not, need a little more vegetation around the place, its still a way off, 3d grass needs redoing in places (I got lazy, its a little straight and catches the eye), performance is a bit off at the moment (need to group and LOD loads of stuff but that will get sorted).

So if any of you lot want to download and do some testing or just try out were i'm at, contact me on PM and i will send you a link to download - ALL I ASK IS PLEASE DON'T UPLOAD/SHARE ANYWHERE YET

I'm looking for honest feedback, constructive though, don't be diks

Thanks
Gave it a quick go and it's quite good already so thanks for sharing. 0 knowledge about the accuracy of the layout as I didn't even have a clue they were racing there during the pre war era. Road mesh feels quite nice and it's a fun layout too, graphically the grass and track surfaces looks realistic already with some difference and texture to it and in realistic colors.

Minus points for now taking in mind that it's a WIP of course are the trackside artifacts which I suppose are placeholders and still need to be updated. Stands and such seem on the dark side, and you have these placeholder black cars trackside everywhere. The trees look a bit highlighted to me, I had overcast weather selected (unpredictable mod from G&BW), and driving through the forresty area they looked quite bright.

Also the pits let's say (these wooden makeshift boxes on the right side of the start finish straight), look small. Maybe it's my FOV but if I'd imagine someone standing there he would be hovering over that. Or maybe that is a makeshift stand for people to get on and I'm totally wrong here.

Anyways it is very promising already, good job!

thanks for the feedback, agreed i need to balance the trees better, probably going to get replaced for y trees very soon

with regards the scale of the pitboxes and track side objects i have studied many videos they were really that low in reality, if you check out a few you tube videos you will see the pits guys heads nearly touching the underside of the roof

that said thankyou, i will keep at it. want to do this one justice

Thread hijack in 3-2-1 go!
View attachment 206498
View attachment 206497
View attachment 206496
View attachment 206495
View attachment 206494
View attachment 206493
View attachment 206492

All WIP of course, went through the first pass of texturing. Next is set them up for AC and get it in game.
con todo respeto, sos un hdp!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: tremendo laburo!!! impresionante! :D Saludame a Ignacio que esta en nuestro grupo de guasap jeje

Sorry for the spanish words, I was just complimenting on his job. We can't thank you enough for you amazing work in 3d modelling and textures. Of course there other amazing and talented 3d artist around as well fortunately for us mortals :)

PD: en Uruguay hdp se usa en el buen sentido tambien ;)

Last edited:

Funny that the speedometer only goes to 200km/h - it did go faster. The suspension pic I realized only on second look that it wasn't a photo. I was like what was he trying to measure/mark on the hood in that position? The air scoops are way further back...then I recognized the shape of a suspension geometry :laugh:.

Super impressive work and attention to detail.

Thanks Gary, going for a different approach this time, similar to what I did with the F79 but now I've textured it 100% with a workflow similar to UE4 texturing, but using specular (Diffuse + Gloss + Spec + Normal) instead of metallic/roughness maps, as they're more compatible with what AC works with.

Here's how each part looks in UE4:
View attachment 206500 View attachment 206501 View attachment 206502

The tricky part is to get the same detail into AC, that's where the NMdetail shader comes into play since some of the normal detail gets lost when resizing. Right now the car is made up of 10 different textures.

Incredibly authentic weathering and wear in those textures. Also very realistic, do you paint directly in 3d?

I finally got around to looking closely at that Acura DPI/(maybe Oreca 07) data from their promo video (now blurred in that part thanks to yours truly putting it the public spotlight on the Mulsanne's Corner's Facebook page :laugh:).

The max CL listed in the data is 5.371 for somewhere in the region of a 1.1-1.2 Cd. Without stating any specifics, the DPI (and/or current LMP2) aero is overall more efficient than the last generation of LMP2s and a bit less draggy.

Reading again the last pages, it seems obviouslyto me, searching for old cars datas, picture/vids cost a lot of time for those who are building a mod. My suggestion is to have , for example, a thread were people post their informations(pics, vids, datas etc...) about those old time cars and tracks.

So if someone wants to make a car like for example an Auto Union Type R, he only has to go to this thread and he get´s all infos he needs, without long time gathering informations, cause this has alredy been done. Sparing time,i.o. to do what he he really wants - modelling the car.

Do you think it would be usefull to have place were those ressources would be gathered?

Personally, I prefer to research a track myself, finding everything about the place that I can. I feel that it helps me to understand the track, absorb myself in it, learn it, love it. I don't think that I would feel the same if someone just supplied me with a folder full of photos and a load of lidar data.

I would happily ask for help, though, if I was struggling to find information about a particular part of a project.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events