The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

KIaGb3T.png

WIP Dark Vaders

Always loved that seat, they never made another one like it. beautiful rendition!

Original CFD grade mirror:

New mirror, catching the shape to 98% but a lot smoother and with 80% geometry reduction:

The car drives and physics are being worked on by McLarenF1Papa who generously offered his support.

Car drives and is being tested and tweaked. Meanwhile I'm collecting vertices for the interior by reducing them on the outside.

I'm manually rebuilding the bodywork. Basically a 50% reduction in vertices along any given line is resulting in an 80%+ reduction in overall geometry while maintaining close 99% of the shape. Of course it wouldn't work in a wind tunnel but luckily we only have AC to worry about.

To tag along with that^

Physics development is actually moving really quickly (I guess experience with it in the past helps, but still it's even going much quicker than the last real car I worked on...and I did that one like 3 weeks ago :O_o:). Suspension is done, HDF aero is done, masses and inertias are done, and tires along with LDF aero are on the to-do list (though we don't have part offsets for the aero -in either configuration - so I may wait on that). Engine and transmission are just placeholders at the moment since there's nothing concrete for the real car yet.

It's hard to talk about pace since the tire model hasn't been properly developed yet (using pre-2014 LMP1 tires on it essentially), but the car is generally quite quick on the straights and somewhat lacking in high speed corners so far. Total downforce is less than that of other LMPs I've seen and drag is comparable (if not a bit less in HDF configuration).

My first attempt at unwrapping a car:
VGQpBQC.png

How does it look? I'd like to have some feedback from more experienced people or skinners before I really move on because now it's still easy to adjust.
Most of all make sure its not too stretched and ideally that the main skinable surface is of the same scale. Also make sure you have no overlapse parts (the door cutouts look like it may be the case there).

Looks pretty fine already :)

To tag along with that^

Physics development is actually moving really quickly (I guess experience with it in the past helps, but still it's even going much quicker than the last real car I worked on...and I did that one like 3 weeks ago :O_o:).

You said 8 weeks and got it done in basically 3 days man you're running through this like a freight train! I guess having direct access to the designer helps but still KUDOS to you and thanks for the support!

It's quite the looker too if you ask me...design grows on me the more I work on it (some parts are already rebuilt in this render):

You said 8 weeks and got it done in basically 3 days man you're running through this like a freight train! I guess having direct access to the designer helps but still KUDOS to you and thanks for the support!

It's quite the looker too if you ask me...design grows on me the more I work on it (some parts are already rebuilt in this render):

It's a time thing too, been able to put a lot of hours into it compared to what I thought. But tires will probably take a good bit of time to get right.

Was hoping I'd see this one get the skin treatment soon. I just got back from Europe on Monday night after attending the race - this one looked great in person.

I haven't had a chance to look, but what the hell happened with that last pit stop?
TBH i am really forget about what was caused AKKA held in the pit for quite a long time in the final stop. i was watching F1 at the last 2 hours and watched Spa again after F1 finished. (great job for Sainteloc. a much surprise when in fact they were lapped in the night)
i was rooting for WRT for took the overall win but the contact with AKKA at the end of Kemmel hurt their chance. Rast should a bit patient IMHO.

btw, gentlemen, HOLD YOUR BEER
will be working on the driver names on top tomorrow. (but i don't know the exact font used for the driver names. help is appreciated)
aaaaakkkk.103.jpg

aaaaakkkk.104.jpg

TBH i am really forget about what was caused AKKA held in the pit for quite a long time in the final stop. i was watching F1 at the last 2 hours and watched Spa again after F1 finished. (great job for Sainteloc. a much surprise when in fact they were lapped in the night)
i was rooting for WRT for took the overall win but the contact with AKKA at the end of Kemmel hurt their chance. Rast should a bit patient IMHO.

I was surprised when I arrived back at the track in the morning and the AKKA car was in the lead; I thought they had bigger issues after that contact. It was the prettiest car to finish the race, though. :)

btw, gentlemen, HOLD YOUR BEER
will be working on the driver names on top tomorrow. (but i don't know the exact font used for the driver names. help is appreciated)
View attachment 204817
View attachment 204818

Stunning. :)

TBH i am really forget about what was caused AKKA held in the pit for quite a long time in the final stop.

FYI; Just had some time to look it up, and it seems that the car was held so the driver didn't go over the maximum stint time of 65 minutes. I'm guessing the pit stop itself couldn't wait another lap or they'd have run out of fuel, so they had to pit a touch early. Same for the Porsche, I assume.

Tough break. I was pulling for them for the win on Sunday morning.

Pretty much done modelling this thing, mid-way through texturing so thought I'd show it without any :roflmao:
Hoping to get it done very soon and hand it over, and then I can look forward towards new endeavours :)

P9BPYHSh.jpg

ueBHC3Wh.jpg

vaHr96Oh.jpg

anPCr5Xh.jpg

ecgMUQMh.jpg

iZ0uY1Mh.jpg

WWGx97Nh.jpg

h03uALfh.jpg

0MFfFFXh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about, hmm... 30% done of the first of 4 materials that need UV mapping. Anything dark red is this material stuff I haven't got to yet (mostly fasteners but also the oil sump) 1 of the others (all the chrome stuff) is on a ton of objects too, other 2 not so bad. Partly taking a while cause I'm doing the final "high-poly" pass on some of this stuff as I go.
dXilY18.jpg

It's about 123k tris, not an exact number cause Blender's counter includes some hidden objects. 24k engine, 45k frame (including what's effectively the interior - dashboard/wheel/etc.), 20k body (and stuff attached to body like mirrors), 35k wheels+brakes.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 2 4.7%