Tracks The Snake (Mulholland Highway) Malibu - Assetto Corsa

aren't those barrels actually filled with water? On impact it converts the energy into some nice fountains (hence the special looking tops of the barrels)

Cheers mate... love the details... and maybe another day I could use those details... I was contemplating making the bullnose... But I prefered the look of the fishtail... and the SKT350 and whatever the narrower one is called.

I was seriously thinking about taking LA Canyons down to the 210 freeway... But firstly I was trying not to get even more carried away.... and more importantly... that would be abusing AC's physics range even more than I already have :D
As it is, at the top end of Angeles Crest at Newcombs Ranch, there is about the same physics shake as Pacific Coast... But in my opinion that's a price I'm willing to pay to do a 39km Angeles Crest downhill run into Flintridge... Which during testing in a LaFerrari... I could do in 13 minutes.

But I loved the idea of starting a NFS police chase on the 210, and then try and lose them in the canyons. Maybe that's something for another day and another physics engine that can handle it.

Last edited:
please release something man!! :sleep: :D
Trust me mate... I'm working on it...

Imagine what it's like just making cams for the 42km normal, 42km reverse and 39km Angeles Crest layouts... multiply that work by at least 1,000 and that's what I've done with the canyons.

Fair enough that's my fault for attempting such a huge project :D

If people could drive around these roads without the need for guardrails or roadsigns... without flying off... It's ready now. But they can't... and it's not :D

I think it'll hopefully be worth the extra wait...
switzer_01.jpg

Even the road down to the Switzer picnic area is pretty cool :)
switzer_02.jpg

These road segments are huge. Probably best split into sections that fit into what AC can handle so it's not all in one but split as different "files" and layouts. Bend the track fictionally if it's too long in one direction to fit within AC limits.

Add warning earthquake signs on the barely used side roads that go out of limit when adding usable side roads for cruise.

With Pacific Coast being my first track... I was unaware of the origin (0,0,0) limit of AC... With LAC I was aware of that limit... but still decided to push right to the edge of the limit, because the roads are too epic not to... also with the possibility of not restricting the model just for AC1, and the main loop is well within the origin limit. If people experience shaking... Then my advice would be to drive as far as you like... I won't be putting any starts / pits at the far ends of the roads for that reason... Most of the time while driving the physics shake is pretty minor.

Same thing will happen for 'The Snake' area, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to 'fictionally bend' the track... that wouldn't be an option I'd even remotely consider... That would totally negate getting an extremely high res satellite image to line things up.
Splitting sections up might be an option later... But would rather do it 'in one' to start with, then... IF I decided to split later that would be far easier than trying to 'join' them later if I wanted to do that.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep it in one for the freeroam possibility, so I'll be doing that.

whats going on with that track? kinda sick of having to spend money on gas just to drive that road every week :) kidding..but still come on now need some help? pictures? don't forget the roads signs that have a curvy road and the words next 7 miles :)

The Snake
View attachment 225353
The Snake is a renowned 2 mile section of the Mulholland Highway which climbs into the Santa Monica mountain range in Malibu, California.
View attachment 225190
At the moment this is just a highly tesselated mesh (especially along the mountain ridges) with a 12k satellite diffuse texture lined up over the top...
View attachment 225193
This was to be another "small" test area... Then I saw the surrounding roads.... :D

Kanan Road
View attachment 225195
View attachment 225355
View attachment 225357
A long open, high speed, mostly 4 lane road going through 3 tunnels.

Latigo Canyon Road
Which in my opinion looks even better than the Snake, this road is much longer than 2 miles, and has a severe lack of guardrails, and amazing corners.
View attachment 225191View attachment 225354
View attachment 225356

Sometime in 2018 I'll release an early version, starting with "The Snake" section.
I took these screenshots in game (with added reference images). As I was curious to see if it would load with the amount of edges it currently has.
View attachment 225197

Latigo is one of my favorite roads.
Me years ago enjoying the drive. would love to have you release something good sir.

When will The Snake be available? Super stoked!

ain't really the snake... i know;
mulholland highway itself would be a fun exercice
i don't think it's happening tho.
screenshots above are actually from LAC

LA canyons allowed for a lap layout on the other hand, which seems better to me

Last edited:
Serious question: how much money would you need to release this track? I know a few people who would LOVE to drive a virtual Latigo Canyon (myself included) and we are definitely willing to pay for your hard work and the excellent results. I am also willing to do some GoPro filming and/or take photos of roads and objects (for textures or otherwise).

LA Canyons is spectacularly fun, and the Malibu Canyons are definitely on the wish list (as well as 33, 58, and 9 to 35 to 84 to 1 back to 9, as long as we're dreaming :whistling:).

this track is not being made.
at least not now
so its progress is 0%

Thanks for the clear info ;-)

Here is something you may have thought about already - Patreon may be a valid way for you towage interest of users who actually would be willing to support the making of a difficult project like this.

I see how one user here is building the Targa Florio track (another monumental undertaking for the AC1 engine) and the development of the track is communicated through his Patreon account.

You may find this an interesting way.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea