• Goodbye Dan Gurney, and thanks for the memories...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Follow RaceDepartment also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Tracks The Snake (Mulholland Highway) Malibu - Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Modding Discussions' started by Phoenix77, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Phoenix77

Phoenix77
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,378
    The Snake
    the_snake_photo_01.jpg
    The Snake is a renowned 2 mile section of the Mulholland Highway which climbs into the Santa Monica mountain range in Malibu, California.
    the_snake_05.jpg
    At the moment this is just a highly tesselated mesh (especially along the mountain ridges) with a 12k satellite diffuse texture lined up over the top...
    the_snake_03.jpg
    This was to be another "small" test area... Then I saw the surrounding roads.... :D

Kanan Road
    the_snake_06.jpg
    n9_04.jpg
    n9_01.jpg
    A long open, high speed, mostly 4 lane road going through 3 tunnels.

Latigo Canyon Road
    Which in my opinion looks even better than the Snake, this road is much longer than 2 miles, and has a severe lack of guardrails, and amazing corners.
    the_snake_07.jpg lcr_satellite_01.jpg
    lcr_photo_04.jpg

Sometime in 2018 I'll release an early version, starting with "The Snake" section.
    I took these screenshots in game (with added reference images). As I was curious to see if it would load with the amount of edges it currently has.
    the_snake_02.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Love Love x 20
    • Like Like x 6
    • Beer Beer x 2
  2. A3DR

A3DR
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,403
    Amazing! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Love Love x 1
  3. actarnoff

actarnoff

Ratings:
    +1
    Can't wait to try it, I know The Snake pretty well so I'd be interested to see how accurate it is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. digital1nk

digital1nk

Ratings:
    +2
    Amazing man! only if i knew how to take this pictures of the roads in my country, im sure it would be roadpr0n for you :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  5. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson

Ratings:
    +2,817
    Looks a lot like LA Canyons to me, which means I'm very much looking forward to learning those roads! Can't wait :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phoenix77

Phoenix77
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Cool that you know it well... You're very lucky to drive on some of these epic Californian roads. Hopefully I can get it as accurate as my Pacific Coast track... I'm not using Lidar or Laserscan data... but it should be a pretty decent rendition.

Thanks mate, I think I've probably bitten off more than I can chew with California's epic roads for the next few years :D

Cheers mate, TBH Latigo Canyon Road is the road that's tempting me more than The Snake. And speaking of LA Canyons... The road will be pretty much losing those shoulders all the way round... and seeing as I'm going to put in the intersections it would be rude not to put in approx another 25km of Angeles Crest... A 40km run down to Pasadena should be pretty fun :) An 8km road to Mount Wilson should also be pretty fun along a sharp mountain ridge. And a 14km run along Big Tujunga Canyon Road over a couple of bridges and by a dam should also be interesting.

Have done some basic measurements and LCR will be 15.3km's... Thanks to the road being so twisty and doubling back on itself so frequently... The roads furthest end point is only 7.5km from the origin... So should be fine on the physics jittering effect on big tracks in AC. No roads end will be more than 9km's from origin :)

@garyjpaterson You'll have to also relearn the Canyons.... When the shoulders are no longer there, the intersections go in, and it has an FFB mesh... your 9:35 time probably wont be beatable :D

• Haha Haha x 4