The rise and possible fall of iRacing

Brief history on the Service:

iRacing started out in 2004 by John Henry and Dave Kaemmer. John is a co-owner of Roush-Fenway Racing for those who aren't aware, and so he was able to provide financial backing that has never really been seen before in sim racing. Combine that with the experience of Dave Kaemmer who has competed in the Skip Barber Championship in real life, and is the mastermind behind such sims as GT Legends, and you can expect top notch results. Finally an able developer has virtually all the time and money they need to create the ultimate sim experience. In a period from 2004-2008 iRacing consisted of lots of R&D and closed testing, some early members became part of the testing early on with most early testers joining in 2007 through connections in the sim world. In mid 2008 iRacing was open to the public but through invites only, then released fully to the public later on in the year.

The stage was set nicely, a huge amount of hype and community buzz had set iRacing above all other racing sims, before it was even released. Laser scanned tracks, cars being measured, weighed, and scanned for perfect accuracy. From a scientific point of view it was very hard for people to argue with what iRacing was doing, they were miles ahead of everyone else. They also have a 10 year plan, and a $20million investment from John Henry which they boasted through advertising and shameless plugs in the sim community. It was a good move by iRacing to let people know how serious they were early on, if they didn't there is no way they would get away with charging what they do for their service.

iRacing has a model that is unique to racing sims, but not unique to the gaming world. To use the service you must be a member, which requires you to purchase one of their monthly or annual membership packages. With the membership you get access to limited content, at first it was only a few cars on the Oval and Road side, with a handful of tracks. If you wanted some of the faster cars or more tracks, those would have to be purchased individually. People were so excited about the sim, they did not care much to argue with the plan, they did not mind that they owned none of the content, and were only purchasing access to them when their membership is in current status. If you stop paying to access their service, you lose all access to the content you have purchased. How do they control this? It is simple, the only way you can use the service is through an internet connection with a compatible browser. There is a large program installed on your PC, however you cannot access it unless you are logged in securely through their website. This helps them to keep control and monitor all things that happen in the sim.

This type of service is very controversial, but with the level of professionalism that iRacing was trying to achieve, this was the only way to go for them. By controlling things through an online browser, they prevent people from running modified versions of the game, which could include hacking the physics, or any other type of manipulation. That does not mean iRacing has been free from hackers though, there have been reports of cheats that have been used, patched, with the users who cheated banned, and no refund given. By controlling the sim in such a way, iRacing was able to display itself as a professional service, where people can compete fairly worldwide against their peers, 24 hours a day, with a full time staff of stewards and developers constantly monitoring and updating the service.

They ran ads showing professional drivers giving testimonies on how realistic the simulator is, which is nothing new, every simulator out has done this. However with iRacing, people are required to give their real first and last name, so users who are part of the service can literally search their favorite drivers name, and through a statistic screen, monitor the progress and lap times. This made iRacing unique because people can actually see professional drivers using the service. This helped give consumers confidence, not only were they confident that the company was on solid ground having John Henry as the financial backbone, but they also are able to purchase content in confidence knowing that professional drivers have sworn by the accuracy. From 2008-current the service has grown in overall members, but so has the sim. What started out as a few thousand people in 2008, has grown into the tens of thousands. Content has also been expanded, it was just a handful of cars and tracks starting out, but now iRacing boasts a car for everyone on both Oval and Road, with 24 hours 7 days a week series of official sessions.

The future of iRacing is still not very clear...how could this be though? With such a strong foundation, and having the largest active community in sim racing, how
could they ever fail?

Downfalls of the greatest sim available:

Even though iRacing has been the dominant name in sim racing since its release in 2008, it still has its downfalls. The sim does not provide a lot of the simple things that other sims have for years. Some of these things include tire build up, dynamic weather, and dynamic track surfaces. You are basically racing in a static environment all of the time, which is obvious to anyone that the real world of motorsports simply cannot be simulated accurately in a static environment.

Other downfalls are development times. In the beginning the members were very forgiving over long development times. Cars and Tracks were basically announced, then several months later eventually released, with some projects lasting over a year. As time has progressed and their team grows you would expect development time to go down, but it has not. Members are still finding themselves waiting almost a year for new content to be released.

Another downfall of iRacing is the content it provides, a lot of the cars are somewhat unpopular or outdated when compared to race cars in other sims. Instead of Ferrari, BMW, and other big names in racing, we see Pontiac, Kia, and what seems to be at random one car selected from several different series all over the place. So when you see something like Formula 1 advertised you will be sad to find out you only have two F1 cars available, and they are decades apart from each other. If you are a fan of Grand Am racing, the Daytona Prototype available is a Pontiac, and it is already half a decade old. This is the trend with iRacing, they tend to model only one car from a series, then by the next couple years it is already outdated, and then they tell people they have a virtual version of that series even though it is only that one car that is most likely not used in the series anymore.

Then there are the tracks, other than Nascar, you will be lucky to find more than a few real world tracks available where your favorite series actually races in real life. This, combined with the random car from a random year, can make you feel as if you are competing in some fantasy series, rather than simulating the real life series. Some are hopeful to one day get a complete series, but with iRacing's super slow pace in their development it seems near impossible for them ever to release a complete series will all the cars and tracks from the same year competition. Some tracks were scanned, and left to be forgotten with excuses given from the staff members that they simply do not have the manpower to complete, leaving a sour taste in the mouths of many members. On top of that, some projects end up getting delayed, like the coveted Lotus 49, it has been promised many times by the staff, but delayed every time.

This brings me to my biggest concern with iRacing, its quest for perfection comes at the expense of its members wallets and patience. For iRacing to prepare a release to the public they seem to have very high quality standards and must simulate things accurately through a formula. This sounds great, except they don't always get it right, and when you wait several months for something to be released, you expect it to be good to go when it is released. Several of the iRacing fans will just use the excuse that everything in the sim is a work in progress, and things will always be updated and changed. The problem with that, is it gives iRacing a fail pass, meaning they can release something that is a failure and get a pass from the community because it is a work in progress and will be updated. This is not just limited to iRacing, now that the internet is here to update games, developers across the board are releasing unfinished products and just updating things later on.

The problem with this whole situation, is it creates a circle of long development times, and a pass for mediocre content. Some will say they cannot have it both ways, they cannot offer an advertised realistic experience, yet make dramatic changes to the core of the simulation. Things like the tire model and physics have changed dramatically over time, and to this day the tire model still is not right. When individuals question the tire model they are met with some resistance from iRacing staff members who believe things are not as bad as they seem, but are also told there are yet again going to be more dramatic changes to fix bugs such as more grip with cold tires, but like everything at iRacing, even the tire model gets delayed over and over again.

Then you have cars that were driven by professionals before their release and have sworn testimonies of being accurate to the real life counterpart, that have since been changed dramatically, so now iRacing has to answer the question,are the cars inaccurate now? Or were their professional spokesman just spewing company lines to promote iRacing early on?

One will ask themselves why has iRacing not hired on more experts to help with the physics and tire models, or more professionals to help speed up development time of cars and help with the completion of tracks. Well, as unlimited as their resources may seem, they do not have an endless supply of money. If you think about how much it must cost to run a business like this year round, that $20million will get gobbled up fairly quick over the years, and the membership alone cannot support a super large staff. Even with a small staff they are paying several yearly salaries, sending employees all over the world to scan cars and tracks, not to mention other expenses like the cost of equipment and an office headquarters. They simply cannot afford to stay in business, and also have a super large staff.

There is a lot of controversy over the direction of iRacing, with its lack of features, and its ever changing view on how physics and tires work. One can only ask how long can this company keep all its members? Right now
iRacing has somewhat of a monopoly on sim racing. They are the only sim offering full time year round organized racing in a professional environment. Everything feels official with iRacing, and anyone can join with ease. This gives iRacing an edge over all other sims which depend on mods and communities to bring people together, which as we have seen before can be very messy, but also very rewarding if done right. Personally, I would love to see iRacing just "get things right", but at the moment with how they do things, it would take years before they ever start releasing complete series or getting cars that are up to date instead of outdated ones that are already retired from their current series.

Sooner or later, iRacing will lose its monopoly on this type of service, someone else is bound to come along and offer a similar service. If such a service comes along, and offers things that iRacing still has trouble with, like a correct tire model, or dynamic environments, then iRacing's future may be in trouble. They can only exist in such a state as long as there is no competition to steal their customers away. Eventually when another sim does come along that rivals iRacing, they better be ready to deliver on their promises, or face the reality of having to eventually close their doors after everyone but a few dedicated followers leave for the new kid on the block who offers something bigger and better.

what are examples of cars that have been updated? i thought that ideally, other than minor tweaks the only thing that changed was the tire model.
The Skippy got a complete graphics overhaul in 2011. (before and after attached)
z8b6fuk.jpg

The NASCAR Cup cars are continually being adjusted to match NASCAR's latest rule changes (last season this meant the new spoilers).

Several cars have had their suspension geometry remodeled with the latest techniques, and several tracks have received updates including minor graphical additions and updated shaders. That's in addition to all the other minor tweaks every season as they add new features and apply them to old cars (NTM, fast dampers, improved LRA model, Traction Control, backfire sounds, etc).

Just realised when I looked at the 'trending' section to the right of the website that I'd forgotten about my iRacing sub and wouldn't ya know I'd left the auto re-new turned on. **** **** ****. There goes $30 down the drain. I'd played it maybe 4 times in 3 months since Assetto is just the more attractive option for me.

I sound like a broken record but the keep paying or lose it all structure of IRacing feels like a bank demanding you keep paying off the mortgage or face the bailiffs (I'm Irish & we've had enough of that). Only there is no end and you never actually own anything. It all still belongs to iRacing.

They seriously need to permit people to actually retain ownership of cars or tracks. Maybe have a system of '1yr sub and if you re-new for another year you can select 30% of the content you paid for to own for good' or some such. Or at least offer older cars/tracks to own forever. They can always keep moving the league goal posts to other tracks/cars etc.

I know many race in iRacing to win and fair play to them. We all play to enjoy ourselves but for people like me and it would seem many others its a losing game in terms of financial outlay and time vs reward offered. With AC moving swiftly and appearing conducive to change and PCars arriving soon iRacing looks like the latter days of the old Roman empire. It grew fat & greedy & refused to change while the empire burned. They are being outmaneuvered & out gunned in the field. Ironic its a little group of Italians laying siege to them. The peasants are revolting.

oh man...yeah...literally the first thing i did when i got my iracing account was turn auto-renew off.

btw, just going from what ive read....you dont keep paying, they just give you a good deal to get you back.

i think pcars & AC are going at each other pretty hard (not yet, but they inevetiably will be). i dont see either as a real threat to iracing. tbh i dont see anything as a threat to iracing, but the more quality sims there are, the harder (in my optimistic theory) they must work to keep up with the joneses, which is a good thing for subscribers.

That didn't get dropped, every car that has been updated (some very significantly) any owner gets the new car free and the old car's price gets reduced. Same with tracks, if you owned Daytona you got the rescanned version free.

The cars that need to be repurchased are brand new ones, like the DW12 which is not the IR05 even though both are IndyCars. You buy a particular chassis, not every car to meet a specification.

But thats where you are wrong, that got dumped somewhere in the old forum with a lot of other tid bids of the original business plan.

You paid $19.95 or $24.95 per car and you were going to get that car/series for life. Whatever the Cup car was, you had it. Whatever the nationwide car was you had it. Not anymore.

Luiz, I thank you, [...] still $300-$350 doesn't grow on trees. I'll have to sit with the finance manager (the wife) and submit a request for more monthly entertainment funds, see how we go ;)

No worries. Just one thing that might not have been clear on my post is that those are roughly the costs for a year. So we're talking about budgeting ~$25 a month for the first year.

Also, that's taking into account that you will in fact play complete series or, in other words, that you won't skip a single week throughout the year. You don't have to (or maybe you can't race every single week), and if you are not racing a certain week you can as well just not buy that specific track - thus lowering the cost a bit in the short run.

[...] I'd forgotten about my iRacing sub and wouldn't ya know I'd left the auto re-new turned on. **** **** ****. There goes $30 down the drain.[...].

They seriously need to permit people to actually retain ownership of cars or tracks.

Well, that was a mistake indeed. As said above, I also removed the auto renewal first thing. I think I'd do the same with any service such as a magazine subscription or whatnot. It's not ideal to pay $30 to renew it for 3 months when it's easy to get 1 whole year for $49...

About the ownership, I'd like to understand why is that so important. You do retain the rights to the cars and tracks you bought. So if you take 1 year break from iRacing, when you do come back your inventory is the same. You don't lose it. What you do lose if you don't pay the subscription is the right to use it, but only temporarily.

There are two things to consider here: Firstly, iRacing is an online service. There are no offline races, no AI, etc. It's an online service that organizes races among real people. The subscription is paying for those services. Once you are not paying for the service, why do you want to retain the ability to use the content at all? Ok, granted, you could want to just practise/hotlap. But if you do, iRacing is not for you. Assetto Corsa (for example) is great and will be better to do just that. iRacing is for racing online, with real people, 24/7, throughout the year. That's its appeal, and that's what you pay for - imho.

Don't think of it as "a bank demanding you keep paying off the mortgage or face the bailiffs". Because indeed it's not something you own. Think of it as rental. You rent their webpages, their forums, their servers and their system of pitching together people for races. Then you can decide if paying that rental is worth it for you or not. Which leads to...

Secondly, those rental costs are ridiculously low if you actually race a bunch. $49 a year, minus: $5 a year for the timely renewal, $10 a season for participation ($40 total), which equals $4 a year. Then you can use the $100 for $75 credits to pay those $4, coming out as $3 for your year of iRacing. Yes, that is what you are paying for a whole year of server/webpage/forum rentals. That's €2.20, £1.75, or the equivalent of a medium bag of crisps here. For a year.

All that considering you do race online often. If you don't, it gets more expensive as you don't get the participation credits. But again, iRacing's appeal is for people who do want race (online) often. If you want to hotlap alone and race online the odd week, then iRacing can be a less attractive deal.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy at all. In fact, I don't even have an active subscription at the moment, for a variety of reasons. I'm just trying to both understand some of the other people's reasoning when it comes to the service (so I can better decide if I'll ever come back to it) and to debunk some of the myths that have grown and spread around the price structure (so that others can make their decisions to use the service or not based on the actual, best case scenario costs).

But thats where you are wrong, that got dumped somewhere in the old forum with a lot of other tid bids of the original business plan.

You paid $19.95 or $24.95 per car and you were going to get that car/series for life. Whatever the Cup car was, you had it. Whatever the nationwide car was you had it. Not anymore.
That may have been before my time. Are we talking 2010-ish, or closer to Alpha?
All that considering you do race online often. If you don't, it gets more expensive as you don't get the participation credits. But again, iRacing's appeal is for people who do want race (online) often. If you want to hotlap alone and race online the odd week, then iRacing can be a less attractive deal.
There's a second demographic for iRacing user: those who have more money than time, like myself. I simply can't commit to league racing anymore, sadly, and I'm not impressed with random pickup racing. What iRacing lets me do is get a good solid race whenever I find an hour or two. I get to put practice time into the track I know it will be, and know others have practiced as well. That makes it worth it to me. Assetto Corsa was cheaper for me, but I have yet to find myself enjoying it at a rate that would make me consider dropping iRacing.

Maybe at some point a 3rd party will create a similarly well policed and organized set of servers that will make AC my go-to for multiplayer, but not yet.

No worries. Just one thing that might not have been clear on my post is that those are roughly the costs for a year. So we're talking about budgeting ~$25 a month for the first year.

Also, that's taking into account that you will in fact play complete series or, in other words, that you won't skip a single week throughout the year. You don't have to (or maybe you can't race every single week), and if you are not racing a certain week you can as well just not buy that specific track - thus lowering the cost a bit in the short run.

Well, that was a mistake indeed. As said above, I also removed the auto renewal first thing. I think I'd do the same with any service such as a magazine subscription or whatnot. It's not ideal to pay $30 to renew it for 3 months when it's easy to get 1 whole year for $49...

About the ownership, I'd like to understand why is that so important. You do retain the rights to the cars and tracks you bought. So if you take 1 year break from iRacing, when you do come back your inventory is the same. You don't lose it. What you do lose if you don't pay the subscription is the right to use it, but only temporarily.

There are two things to consider here: Firstly, iRacing is an online service. There are no offline races, no AI, etc. It's an online service that organizes races among real people. The subscription is paying for those services. Once you are not paying for the service, why do you want to retain the ability to use the content at all? Ok, granted, you could want to just practise/hotlap. But if you do, iRacing is not for you. Assetto Corsa (for example) is great and will be better to do just that. iRacing is for racing online, with real people, 24/7, throughout the year. That's its appeal, and that's what you pay for - imho.

Don't think of it as "a bank demanding you keep paying off the mortgage or face the bailiffs". Because indeed it's not something you own. Think of it as rental. You rent their webpages, their forums, their servers and their system of pitching together people for races. Then you can decide if paying that rental is worth it for you or not. Which leads to...

Secondly, those rental costs are ridiculously low if you actually race a bunch. $49 a year, minus: $5 a year for the timely renewal, $10 a season for participation ($40 total), which equals $4 a year. Then you can use the $100 for $75 credits to pay those $4, coming out as $3 for your year of iRacing. Yes, that is what you are paying for a whole year of server/webpage/forum rentals. That's €2.20, £1.75, or the equivalent of a medium bag of crisps here. For a year.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy at all. In fact, I don't even have an active subscription at the moment, for a variety of reasons. I'm just trying to both understand some of the other people's reasoning when it comes to the service (so I can better decide if I'll ever come back to it) and to debunk some of the myths that have grown and spread around the price structure (so that others can make their decisions to use the service or not based on the actual, best case scenario costs).
Great post, very detailed and no you don't sound like a fanboy at all. I do get what your saying about cost being minimized by participation but that does put an extra burden on some. Maybe if I get an SRW-S1 I can race at work at least until I'm escorted from the building. :)

Re ownership I find myself going back to games in my Steam account on a regular basis. Sometimes I wouldn't have played for months or a year. Owning a game like Assetto or now DTM lets me do that at my whim. iRacing tells me I have to pay to play again when I have already paid significant sums for the cars and tracks etc. If someone told you the wheel or rig you bought wasn't yours and you had to pay again to use it how would you feel. It really is a reg flag issue for me. I suppose we have a different view of software ownership. To each their own.

Not having AI for me isn't a good thing at all. MP is fantastic, there is nothing to beat it when done well but for just casually racing, car setup testing, practice or frankly just not having to deal with people sometimes after a hard day when all you want to do is drive (maybe not even race) in peace its excellent. AI done well is fantastic. iRacing just doesn't provide it.

I think the idea what the iRacing fees are going to server admin etc doesn't ring true to many, including me. Its a business so they have to make profit but frankly the whole American style (no offence meant) of iRacing constantly plastering advertising 'offer this' 'discount that', 'gift cards for the granny' 'buy credit and get a free blow dry' etc in your face BS all over the place seriously pisses me off and smacks of profiteering. Its like walking into a shop and you're immediately pounced on by the sales guys who looks like hes on cocaine trying to get you to buy the whole shop. I'm Irish and I don't think many of us like that in your face feeling. Simbin with R3E have something similar going on and it smacks of micro-transaction madness. With iRacing the transactions aren't micro though, they are oft significant.

When iRacing offered the only serious physics modeling available its pricing model was something we all had to put up with. It was a monopoly for us Sim junkies. Now with more competition its model only rests on its members participation but thats going to dwindle to only the hard core iRacers which means a lack of new blood and turns off newbies getting into simming. Never mind iRacing but as a genre simming cannot afford to turn that new blood away.

The above is just my opinion and 2c. To each their own. Whatever you enjoy keep doing it.

Last edited:
AS someone who has been considering an iRacing subscription for near 2yrs now, I doubt I will ever take it up, purely based on the fact it's overpriced, both the membership and the ongoing content stop me from going anywhere near iRacing. Ive read many reviews positive and negative, @Bakkster and it has made no difference to me who the person posting the review was, or, whether they had a reputation or not.

The thought of forking out over US$1000 for a race sim sub and most of its associated content does not thrill me at all, and I would hazard a guess there is many others who feel the same as I do. It's really not the yearly sub that stop's me, it's more the ridiculous prices for their content, I will never pay US$30 for one sim race car, I don't care how good the physics and/or car detail is.

I can see both the positives and negatives with iRacing, but really it's all about the MONEY, and the fact iRacing is overpriced, so to really enjoy it you have to constantly spend more cash.

Lower your prices iRacing and you may do better, not everyone is gullible enough to fall for the hype, propaganda, free advertising by fanboys or payed for reviews.

My 2c.

No one is forcing you to buy ALL of the content, I have no idea why anyone would think that. There's far more content that you'll ever have time to play so its pretty stupid to even make that statement. Secondly, don't call anyone that chooses to purchase iRacing content gullible, that's insulting and you certainly don't have some superior intellect that no one else has. Those that choose to play iRacing aren't gullible, they simply see value in what iRacing offers. I can understand if you don't see value in it, that's certainly fine. Your opinion is noted, so move along and stop letting it bother you. Everyone else that is playing iRacing is enjoying it and we're certainly no less intelligent than you because we chose to enjoy this sim. To me, even at the prices they charge, its still a value for what you get. You'll never understand that though and I'm fine with that.

To put the price into perspective:
2 cars and 4 tracks will run you about the same money as an AAA Title Game....

Used to be that part of the reason for them being so expensive was lifetime support and future upgrades were included in the price...that got dropped somewhere along the way and is no longer applicable though.

What you fail to mention is that iRacing has the BEST online racing available and not by a small margin, a VERY large margin. That being said, the basic memerbership gets you more content than 2 cars and 4 tracks so even if you purchased no content, you would have more than 2 cars and 4 tracks.

Re ownership I find myself going back to games in my Steam account on a regular basis. Sometimes I wouldn't have played for months or a year. Owning a game like Assetto or now DTM lets me do that at my whim. iRacing tells me I have to pay to play again when I have already paid significant sums for the cars and tracks etc. If someone told you the wheel or rig you bought wasn't yours and you had to pay again to use it how would you feel. It really is a reg flag issue for me. I suppose we have a different view of software ownership. To each their own.
There are two ways of looking at it. First is as an MMO, where iRacing is the World of Warcraft of racing games. It's not a pricing model for everyone (that's specifically what I prefer about Guild Wars, it's a single purchase so I don't need to feel bad if I don't play for 6 months at a time), but it's not something unique to iRacing. They have the same questions about cost.

The other is Software as a Service, where a subscription fee covers both the software development and the service (cloud data, IT support, etc). In the business world, it's the difference between have a cloud office subscription like Google Drive, or buying Microsoft Office plus hiring your own IT department and setting up your own servers. Same here where you can subscribe to iRacing which will update the software so everyone shares the newest version and provide the servers and infrastructure for racing, versus something like rFactor where they released a sequel, which requires you set up your own servers and put some effort into finding compatible mods. I can see why the DIY-friendly sim racing community doesn't have a problem with the latter, but many see value in having something already set up and ready to go.

YMMV

There are two ways of looking at it. First is as an MMO, where iRacing is the World of Warcraft of racing games. It's not a pricing model for everyone (that's specifically what I prefer about Guild Wars, it's a single purchase so I don't need to feel bad if I don't play for 6 months at a time), but it's not something unique to iRacing. They have the same questions about cost.

The other is Software as a Service, where a subscription fee covers both the software development and the service (cloud data, IT support, etc). In the business world, it's the difference between have a cloud office subscription like Google Drive, or buying Microsoft Office plus hiring your own IT department and setting up your own servers. Same here where you can subscribe to iRacing which will update the software so everyone shares the newest version and provide the servers and infrastructure for racing, versus something like rFactor where they released a sequel, which requires you set up your own servers and put some effort into finding compatible mods. I can see why the DIY-friendly sim racing community doesn't have a problem with the latter, but many see value in having something already set up and ready to go.

YMMV
Dont get me wrong. I 'get' the business model. In fact its a very good one from iRacings business perspective in terms of profit. I just disagree its done in the best interests of their patrons. The argument I think many have is they see paying 11.95 for a car or between 11.95 & 14.95 for a track as a rip-off especially when you don't get to keep it when a subscription runs out even to play by yourself offline and others question whether they are getting updated in an expedient manner. Selling Long Beach which was basically an unfinished product and calling it a 'Tech Track' just reaffirmed a negative perception of the company.

I have a PS Plus account which is similar to iRacing in reality. Difference is the amount of content released on that model for the price is astounding. iRacing imho just isn't providing value for me (always a subjective term, never objective).
As for updating to the latest versions Steam takes care of that for AC and R3E and at least with AC mod tools etc are provided by Kunos etc.

People get very defensive of iRacing (not saying you are) and I understand it. The simming community is passionate but equally passionate is the growing concern its a model less and less concerned with being at the cutting edge of simming and more concerned with its profits. When you see Darin and Shaun of ISRTV, backed by iRacing, trying to avoid talking about Assetto last year and the flak they took before getting into it themselves the usual open and transparent feeling of the sim community (such as the great guys here on RD) was questioned by many.

In the end people pay their money and make their choice. So long as they enjoy it fair play to them. I think competition from AC and soon PCars will force iRacing to refocus on the sim & will probably bring down pricing which will be great for current iRacers and will likely draw me into subbing on a yearly basis. Roll on the competition.

Edit: One thing I'd love to see is iRacing provide a more global outlook (while AC should look for more US & AUS content). Most of the iRacing cars a lot of Europeans may not be familiar with same as many European cars guys in the US may not know (but we all know Ferrari). Drop a Lambo or a Ferrari in there and the Euro guys will click the buy button.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong. I 'get' the business model. In fact its a very good one from iRacings business perspective in terms of profit. I just disagree its done in the best interests of their patrons.
That depends what you consider the interests of the members is. The service provided is in customer interest, the price is just what it needs to be to make it viable.
Selling Long Beach which was basically an unfinished product and calling it a 'Tech Track' just reaffirmed a negative perception of the company.
Yes, I don't think iRacing has a business model issues so much as a perception issue. Using Long Beach as an example, they released the tech tracks because members (including some pro racers) begged them to do it.

Same with stuff like the Lotus 49 release, they ended up paying me $3 for the delay with the preorder and giving me the car for free on top of that. Or the partial DW12 refund after the Indy 500 with the pre-release car crashed the servers. That was a free event, with a car many participating would have paid for anyway, and iRacing went above and beyond to do something for those who were disappointed. I just think that gets overshadowed by the old modder conflicts and iR2.0. For all the crap iRacing got about missing that release date, they still might have that final feature (driver swaps) released before all the other sims that were supposed to be out in 2012 (the year of the simulator) get final releases.

tl;dr, I think iRacing gets more harshly criticized than they deserve for things other than cost.
In the end people pay their money and make their choice. So long as they enjoy it fair play to them. I think competition from AC and soon PCars will force iRacing to refocus on the sim & will probably bring down pricing which will be great for current iRacers and will likely draw me into subbing on a yearly basis. Roll on the competition.
I think we've seen that, with some high quality hires. Their plans for the collision system and improved developer tools will be big steps forward, and the Dx11 upgrade to be followed by dynamic lighting will help catch them up aesthetically.

I'd love to know what the finances actually are, and at what level they could drop the price to make it back up in volume.
Edit: One thing I'd love to see is iRacing provide a more global outlook (while AC should look for more US & AUS content). Most of the iRacing cars a lot of Europeans may not be familiar with same as many European cars guys in the US may not know (but we all know Ferrari). Drop a Lambo or a Ferrari in there and the Euro guys will click the buy button.
Looking at the development pipeline and recent releases, you can definitely see iRacing skewing that way. GT3 cars, BTCC and V8SC upcoming, and a ton of big European circuits are the bulk of recent development. The US stuff is taking a backseat, with just the DW12 and Corvette DP coming on the road side with CotA being the last US road course for likely years (I doubt we'll see another before Long Beach gets completed).

Seems one struggle iRacing seems to have is some companies wanting a non-perpetual license (I think Tony mentioned this in relation to circuits like Le Mans, not sure about cars), meaning iRacing would need to pay to upkeep it or possibly lose the license because the company decided not to renew. Given what we were saying above about perceptions, that's probably worse to take a Ferrari away than never to have one in the first place. Who knows, maybe with the rumors of the EA Ferrari license running out this year...

just a few things off the top of my head --

- i dont think many ppl get defensive of iracing (he said defensively, i know). its just -really- difficult from an outside perspective to understand why (imo) the majority of iR users just dont see it as a burdensome or huge expense, when...i mean, it is. like you say. $12 a car, $15 a track...its madness. and yet: a) its not a profit deal any more than any other business. this is just the objective truth. it charges what it does to stay running (MOST OF THE TIME INDY SCANDAL!) & hopefully make a profit doing it. b) as far as games with microtransactions go, iRacing has been easily the least frustrating & the least exploitative of any game ive played. there is a 'grind', but its practical, sensible & makes for better races. as far as purchases, don't get me wrong, there is some of that, you might have to buy tracks &, i think even cars (though this isnt making sense to me atm..im sure this is only if you want to spectate/spot on a track you own) some weeks if you want to participate in that seasons series...but again, its a business AND what else can/should they do? just abandon tracks theyve put so much effort into & people have put so much money into? i can guarantee no ones going hungry over iracing. there just isnt the kind of pressure or lust for content, or the kind exploitative business model that could get someone in way over their head before they know it, that i perceive in some games with microtransactions.

to me its a lot like buying a wheel..just about any wheel imo, not just a fanatec kit. it just doesnt seem rational, but you do it, &..well, typically you don't regret it. i know it seems like no one does, but there are plenty of people out there with hundreds of dollars they invested in wheels that are just collecting dust. its just that for obvious reasons, you dont see them on simracing boards. at least you dont find the iracing community -offensive- (the ones who are just come across as ignorant at best): on the assetto corsa steam forum people who dont have or use a wheel are sniffed at & dismissed by most. speaking, of, love AC, will always hold a special place for me, but its fans (stereotyping heavy here): the freakin worst. maybe pcars is even worse since its users seem to often feel privileged and theyre all 'backers' and 'team members' or whatever, but tbh, when i have a convo on their board about steam games i dont see nearly the level of arrogance as when a pcars guy (or someone just curious) comes over to ACs. could be bc im not on the pcars board much & its just not v active since theyve got their own forum though.

-back on topic: long beach really shouldnt have turned you off. its not pushed on anyone. youre practically encouraged NOT to buy it, and its only $5. its just there for those who want to check it out.

-i think iracing is developing a more global outlook, or, at least, theyve got the american content down so much that theyre just naturally pushing that way. afaik the next 3 major tracks are donington, monza, & imola. they at least tried, & hinted that they thought they were going to, get a mercedes sls gt3 license. (i know lambo and ferrari are just examples but the former i dont believe is feasible; idk what lambos not porsche level exclusive but theyre priced where no one other than msft, ea, & i assume sony are going there. could well be similar with ferrari & kunos is just fortunate to have ties). and its not just europeans who would snap up a ferrari; everyone would.

anyway those are some random thoughts rambled on about..i know at lea st bakkster has replied since i started writing & prob said all this way better.

Regards Long Beach sorry I cannot agree. If you start a product you finish it. I know Bakkster stated they were begged to release it. Then they should have released it for free as a tester then offered discounts for the finished article. They didn't, they adopted a model which is not acceptable which is selling a product with no firm intention of ever finishing it. BMW, Merc, Toyota etc don't sell unfinished cars. Its bad precedent and shouldn't be encouraged. Kunos sold the Tech Preview but with clear statements of intent to finish what they started.

Regards your hardware analogy I'm really sorry but that wheel you bought from Fanatec....well, eh.....they want you to pay an ongoing fee to use it or else they're going to take it back. Sorry :)

Re the AC fans (of which I am one, big time) I think there are a couple of sides.
1) everyone likes the little guy and they don't come littler than KS nor do they come friendlier as a team. So responsive many like myself feel a personal responsibility towards them. I went out of my way to flag them on the torrenting issues. People want them to succeed, its human nature to nurture. I think some are defensive of them which can be counter productive but their hearts are in the right place.

2) Because the sim is accessible unlike the perception of iRacing i.e you can use a controller etc there is a fear of dilution of the sim to merely being a 'game'. That wouldn't be my opinion. I'd probably be lapped by a guy playing with digital chopsticks but if he can go for it. When you create an accessible sim it becomes accessible to both the dedicated simmer and the childish moron. Its like Battlefield 4 is fairly accessible and its being infiltrated by immature CoD players. Very annoying & off putting. Guys on the public servers have deliberately raced backwards to attack others. Not cool. Thats were iRacing clearly has the edge and the AC guys want to foster a mature fanbase. We also have a load of people who clearly don't understand what 'early access' is and just bitch rather than engaging with KS to move the sim on for everyone so people interested in its development may become wary.

3) Many believe they have finally found an alternative to iRacing in AC in the long term. One which allows the 'peasants' to get involved. I know I have. Thats a big driver for people. They have a robin hood image to iRacings Sheriff of Nottingham, an image iRacing haven't really helped in dispelling tbh and it is in their interest to do so.

I'm glad to see you guys reporting iRacing is branching out but you have to say until the competition appeared on the horizon (RF isn't it) they were happy to sit behind their Maginot line feeling they didn't need to adapt. So again its better for everyone.

Ya know what guys after all this iRacing talk I'm actually off to play a game of....drum roll...iRacing. God knows I've just been unwittingly charged another 30 usd for the 3 month privilege so I better get something out of it. :)

Ask yourself:
1. Do I enjoy iRacing?
2. Can I afford iRacing?
3. Do I find the price iRacing asks for continued participation worth it?

If you have actually tried iRacing and answer yes to all three of these, then go forth and enjoy!
If you have actually tried iRacing and answer no to ANY of these, then move right along and play whatever game you enjoy more, no need to pester people who do enjoy it with your opinion on the pricing because evidently there's a fair share of people who does enjoy it considering there's several thousand people racing it every damn day of the week.
If you haven't tried iRacing and are still posting about it's pricing, please stop wasting your own and other peoples time.

As far as "iRacing will loose members and die" goes I can just point to myself as a small evidence of the opposite, because I have just recently started playing iRacing regularly and intend on keeping on for the forseeable future. New people are joining still and until someone makes a equally good online service, it's gonna keep on being like this.

My2cents.

No one is forcing you to buy ALL of the content, I have no idea why anyone would think that. There's far more content that you'll ever have time to play so its pretty stupid to even make that statement. Secondly, don't call anyone that chooses to purchase iRacing content gullible, that's insulting and you certainly don't have some superior intellect that no one else has. Those that choose to play iRacing aren't gullible, they simply see value in what iRacing offers. I can understand if you don't see value in it, that's certainly fine. Your opinion is noted, so move along and stop letting it bother you. Everyone else that is playing iRacing is enjoying it and we're certainly no less intelligent than you because we chose to enjoy this sim. To me, even at the prices they charge, its still a value for what you get. You'll never understand that though and I'm fine with that.

Good point, I apoligise to any one who was offended by my comment, it was never my intention to be offensive in any way, I do not consider myself more intelligent than everyone else, and I will endevour to consider my words more carefully in the future, so this doesn't occur again. Thank you Blkout for pointing out my discretion.

Also thank you to all who have posted info regards iRacing prices, it has been very informative in regards, clearing much of the preconceived image I had of iRacing being just another money machine. I will be taking up a Subscription just to see for myself, and if it's not to my liking for whatever reason, at least then I can say "I tried it".

Cheers

Good point, I apoligise to any one who was offended by my comment, it was never my intention to be offensive in any way, I do not consider myself more intelligent than everyone else, and I will endevour to consider my words more carefully in the future, so this doesn't occur again. Thank you Blkout for pointing out my discretion.

Also thank you to all who have posted info regards iRacing prices, it has been very informative in regards, clearing much of the preconceived image I had of iRacing being just another money machine. I will be taking up a Subscription just to see for myself, and if it's not to my liking for whatever reason, at least then I can say "I tried it".

Cheers
Best to drop a question in the iRacing section on RD and other sites plus a google search to see what deals are going. There used to be 3 for 1 deals and even free trials going. RD have their own $9 for 3 month deal here http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/pc-iracing-com.1946/

[...]GT3 cars, BTCC and V8SC upcoming, and a ton of big European circuits are the bulk of recent development.

That's great, don't get me wrong. But the downside of these is that the upfront costs go up and up, especially as they churn out tracks. I'm confident it was cheaper for a rookie to start a couple of D series 5 years ago. Granted that if you are only racing one single series that makes less of a difference, but across different series the tracks will repeat less and less as the deck gets larger. It's a great thing to have diversity etc., but while for experienced iRacers a new track mean an odd $15 (or less) every few months, for someone arriving now it means that the initial barrier is steeper.

It's my impression, I could be wrong.

They made a substantial price reduction in 2009. I'm starting to think it'd be time to go through a revision again, for with a very large track selection it does start to get harder on the piggy bank.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back