Cars The Need For Speed

Roughly speaking, and with the AI driving, the Countach is about a second/lap slower around my test track than the Diablo, and the TR is right about in the middle of the Lamborghinis. (A bit closer to the Diablo.)

Last edited:
The Need For Speed was all about the cars, and driving the cars on open roads with traffic. Those were the days. I remember, I actually played TNFS using some wierd flight controller steering wheel...
Oh yeah, and the soundtrack was awesome too!

Anyway, I plan to update the NSX to contain the Acura version too, so it would fit in this mod.

I wish we could also have all the tracks from the original game. With a bit of hacking, you could theoretically extract the geometry data (link) from the original track files and perhaps import them to MAX and create a new version of each track.

Getting the actual track geometry would be tough. I took a quick look at that "editor" and its really crude and no way of exporting anything. You could use the UI to make the layout and scale as it has the length in it. But the cambers and elevation would have to be done by eye.

upload_2017-4-9_11-48-28.png

i did my research as well regarding these tracks. I found out a brilliant mind did a remake in C# of the game using the game data.
here: http://1amstudios.com/projects/opennfs1/

I imagine that since he had to rewrite all the code, he had access to the model, and given the screenshot on the page, it's a safe guess :)
image10.jpg

So i sent him an email asking if he was willing to help. That would be a great kick to get started!
I'll keep you posted.

That's so cool guys, some of these tracks have a lot of jumps, I remember flying off the road more often that I wanted to :) so it will be fun to have them in AC for sure.
Since there's enough interest in this, I've decided to put together a list of the tracks with some info and maps from the game:

coastal.jpg
alpine2.jpg
city.jpg
closed01.jpg
closed02.jpg

Gotta love the names like "Y. Bother Memorial Park", "Last Resort", "Crystal Lake", "Rusty Springs", they were allowed to have some fun back then :)

Hope we can put our hands in the original geometry! that'll be a great starting point.

Attachments

• alpine.jpg
    alpine.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 463
I can't wait to see the Lamborghini Diablo being built bit by bit. And the Ferrari 512TR.. a classic you don't see in any recent games if I recall correctly. I got very excited when I read the opening post. Keep up the good work!

Fantastic job.
I'm waiting for that.
I'm very hurry to test the 512TR and the Viper (but the other also). Do not hesitate do give us your work, even if it's not completed.

Thanks

I don't want to be greedy or anything, what you have here is a massive undertaking and I really don't want to sound like I don't appreciate it. Because it's awesome and TNFS is the best of the series.

But IMO NFS2 had one of the greatest street car rosters of all time, any distant chance you will be inspired to make them in the future ? Or at least the Isdera :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back