Still can't load old projects...

I posed this a while back (on the old forum) but it never got answered properly because of the forum being offline. I thought that it might be fixed in V0.6 but it isn't.

I can't load any projects which I made in 0.4.2.3. They worked for a while in 0.5, but for some reason I can't load them any more. I've tried nearly all of my 38 backups of my project (which all worked before) and NONE of them work, so I know that it is not the track. Brendon, I sent my tracks to you and you reported that they work, so it is obviously only a problem with my PC. I have uninstalled BTB completely about 3 or 4 times, installing a clean version each time and I still can't get it to work.

Please help, I really don't want to lose what is more than a year's worth of work.

If you want me to send the track again, I'll be happy to do so.

My system specifications:
Windows Vista Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) SP1 32bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ~3.1GHz
3582MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB

This is the Unhandled exception error I get:
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel_TerrainArea(View& v, TerrainArea loTA, Boolean Solid)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel_2d(View v)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.DrawPanel(View& v)
   at BobsTrackBuilder.frmMain.pnl_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
.. edit don't need all of this ...

Perhaps a suggestion, but I can't do it before the end of this afternoon, when I'll be back home : If I can open your project, I will re-name it, and upload it under the new name. So, you will be able to upload it back, and test to open this rename version. If anyone can do it during the afternoon, it will be ok. Otherwise, I'll do it soon. (I hope my english is enought correct....)

davesta... i send you a link with my BTB proyect, look if you can open that and right now i´m making some changes (delete trees and set NO blending in every terrain texture) in your BTB proyect, i will sent you a feedback too.

hope we can find your problem together.

Perhaps a suggestion, but I can't do it before the end of this afternoon, when I'll be back home : If I can open your project, I will re-name it, and upload it under the new name. So, you will be able to upload it back, and test to open this rename version. If anyone can do it during the afternoon, it will be ok. Otherwise, I'll do it soon. (I hope my english is enought correct....)

Ive done this, uploading now, Ill post a link when its done.
Should be in about an hour and a half.
I think quite a few people are feeling your pain Davesta,
I for one really want to see you get this fixed! :)

here is it -
http://www.allak.co.uk/Super Speedway 2.zip

I'm having excact the same problems, and I have noticed that it is the Track Surface -tool which makes those project unopenable. In link you can download a very simple track which doesn't anymore open on my computer:
http://www.arosolutions.com/btb/

And the specs are:
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6400+
OCZ DDR2 4GB PC2-6400 GOLD XTC
MSI Ati Radeon HD 3870 512MB OC
Windows XP Home

Okay, I tried the two different projects that liquido sent me, plus the versions of mine that David Allak and Liquido sent me (thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it) and none of them work at all. RTP, sorry but I can't download yours to try it. I just get directed to the code in the venue file.

Obviously it is my computer which is causing the problems, not BTB itself or the track.

I was able to load SuperSpeedWay twice in 8 to 10 tries. Most of the time the load abended with the "Index out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection" error.
I had a track created in BTB 5.0.1 that I could not load in 6.0.3 until I re-installed 5.0.1 and stripped all the terrain off the track. Then I could load the bare track into 6.0.3. However, when I added automatic terrain on both sides I couldn't load the track again - I received the same error as with your track.

System info:

Gateway FX7024
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (~2390MHz 4 CPU)
Memory 3053 MB
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001) 32-bit
DirectX 10.0
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Vista)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Now I got some interesting thing.... I tried to make a track with
different gps-data (lat, long.... instead of x,y...) and then did the
surface work, but when I created terrain for the whole track it gives me
the same error. Is there any sense in this? :D I think that some how it
doesn't have enough memory...

Interesting:

I just tried reloading the version of my track that liquido sent me (with no objects or blending) and it worked this time! Now I'm not sure what to do. I want my track with the trees and blending, but if I start putting them back in, I might not be able to load it again...

Just a suggestion : save your project with some differents names before each new step (for example : you place your trees, and save with a name like xxxxbeta001, after you add other think, and save under xxxbeta002). Doing it, you can easely come back to a preceding version, if you have any problem.

I do so regulars copies of the Venu.xml, with differents names so, for more security.

I hope that you can continue your project easily !

Just a suggestion : save your project with some differents names before each new step (for example : you place your trees, and save with a name like xxxxbeta001, after you add other think, and save under xxxbeta002). Doing it, you can easely come back to a preceding version, if you have any problem.

I do so regulars copies of the Venu.xml, with differents names so, for more security.

I hope that you can continue your project easily !
I already do this. I have loads of old backups of projects - none of which work (I only started backing them up in this way after I added terrain and objects).

Hi Devesta,

I'm sure this wont help but for some reason my track only loads on the second time of loading BTB up, it always crashes on the first go for some reason then works on the second time, i'm sure you have tried reloading though after the first time????

good luck, j

Yeh i have the Same issue with my projects from Version 0.4.2.3, i coped them exactly from the projects folder, but they dont show in the list in Version 0.6.0.0?

What a shame, i read through the thread but there doesn't still seem to be a clear explanation as to why? :(

Yeh i have the Same issue with my projects from Version 0.4.2.3, i coped them exactly from the projects folder, but they dont show in the list in Version 0.6.0.0?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if you copy a project from 0.4.2.3 into your 0.6.0.0 My Projects folder, it won't work.
You need to use 'File\Open 0.4.2.3' in BTB 6.0.0.0, navigate to your old BTB folder, load your project then re-save it in 6.0.0.0

Whooo.... I got some sort of an solution to this problem.... Before you open your old project, you must chose "top only" -view. Then it opens and you can change it back to all four (or what ever you are using).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back