Steering Lock

I don't quite understand how the steering lock works, or what it should be set to. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what the wheel rotation should be set to for each group of vehicles. As far as the steering lock though, what does it represent? If I am using the stock car 2015, I usually use a 540 rotation, and a steering lock of 20, but I am not sure what that 20 is on relation to the wheel rotation. I hope that makes sense, and if not I can try to explain myself better if anymore info is needed. I don't think it makes any difference but I am using a Fanatec Clubsport V2 base on a triple screen setup. Thanks in advance

The "Enable Custom Steering Range" option keeps catching me out even months later. It must be the way my brain processes things. I always think it's the opposite regarding the "yes/no" setting. I wish it was called "Enable Auto Steering Range" since it's the auto-rotation part that's the actual feature. Then auto rotation users could always make sure it's set to "yes" instead of making sure the option is set to "no".

It seems backwards to me. Auto rotation is the "feature", therefore it should be auto rotation that we turn on, not custom rotation that we turn off.

I'm nitpicking here, I know; it's just that it's caught me off-guard quite a few times especially as I've switched between the Fana CSW V2, Thrust T300RS, and OSW multiple times in the past few months. My brain often reads it as "enabling this option enables the auto rotation feature" rather than "enabling this option disables the auto rotation feature."

Last edited:
Just divide the lock settings by same number the steering range setting was divided by,

Eg. If 900 degrees rotation was used with 30 lock, then 450 degrees would be 15 lock - they're both divided by 2. If 1080 rotation was used with 33 lock, and you want to know what lock to use for 180 degrees well just find out how you got from 1080 rotation to 180 rotation. To get from 1080 rotation to 180 rotation you divide by 6. So you do the same with 33 lock - divide it by 6 - and you get 5.5 lock.

The thing is, with only a tiny amount rotation (180), it will be very difficult to use a realistic steering ratio because you have such a tiny amount of rotation. So what you will almost certainly need to do is use a higher amount of relative steering lock; this will make your overall steering more touchier/faster. Then, to try to compensate for your faster steering ratio, you can lower the steering sensitivity in the game's controller options; doing so will slow down the first half, or so, of your steering ratio so that the first half or so of your wheel-turning will behave as if you're using a slower steering ratio.

Why are you only using 180 degrees of rotation? Are you only counting one way? Even the Logitech Momo Racing - a budget wheel from over 10 years ago - has more than 180 degrees of rotation (240 degrees).

Just feels like I need MORE steering. Hard to explain.
Are you sure you have disabled steering assists? I reported the laggy steering to Reiza the first day the beta came out and after posting I noticed that by default the steering assists were on :)

Facepalm-GIF_1.gif

No, on wheels the speed sensitivity needs to be set to 0%. Speed sensitivity is used for game pad controllers and keyboards, it's not meant for wheel use.
sorry I got off the path here... I indeed didn't mean speed sensitivity. You are right, set it to zero on a wheel. What I was talking about (and should have checked my words) is STEERING linearity. This is the "curve" of when your car's wheels turn how much in comparison where your steering wheel is at that moment. Linear is what you want in a wheel, and linear (100 %) is done by setting it to 50 % ingame slider. Confused? Yeah, just what it often does to many... EDIT: I see now Kevin has typed steering speed sensitivity. Two in one, maybe that's the problem. On a wheel both values shouldn't be identical. The way Kevin describes it sounds just like that.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have disabled steering assists? I reported the laggy steering to Reiza the first day the beta came out and after posting I noticed that by default the steering assists were on :)

Facepalm-GIF_1.gif
I went crazy for days trying to figure this out one time - days! Uinstalling drivers, Windows, I was close to wiping out the entire drive and starting from scratch and then I remembered about the steering help aid, haha, oh my.

It briefly caught me out a few other times so i've since started un-mapping all aids except ABS, TC, Auto Clutch, and Invulnerability from any buttons. Trust me, do it! Lol.

The values are right.
All I really need is an idea how much lock for tin-tops and how much for open wheelers. More or less.
In garage, when I turn my wheel, the cars steering is exact to full lock on tin tops. Formula cars are also turning all the way to lock.
I just need to know if my lock settings are about right?
20 for tin tops
18 for Formulas
180 wheel.

Ah, I had understood your issue differently. Well I think on 180 these locks are too much, you will have hard times to fine-steer on the edge of grip at the front. You could go for 270 and 19 or you need to turn lock a bit down. Trying is all you can do until it feels good to you.

20 degree steering lock is a bit low for 540 degrees of rotation. I Personally use 18 at 360, 21 at 450, 24 at 540, 27 at 720, and 30-33 at 900

Maybe according to your personal preference. I only use 450 degree rotation on all the cars I drive, and my steering lock is around 12.5-15.5. I find it more accurate and predictable as you have more range to play with.

@OP basically if the car feels too twitchy under steering, as in reacting too much to your inputs, lower this value. If it feels too lazy and you have to turn the wheel too much to get it round a corner, or if it can't even get around a specific corner without you going off the track or hitting the wall on the exit, increase the value.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.