Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

Something else I noticed:
Using Simracing Manager ... reactivation of a mod had a bad effect on starting a new session with this mod. ... very very slow loading.

As I wasn't sure I might delete the preceding install, I just moved it elsewhere.
Reactivating mods afterwards had no effect any longer ... new session with these freshly reactivated mods were loading as usually before this Steam update.

Now I'm ... let's say nearly sure that this other install may or rather must be deleted.
Am I right or wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

It could be slower, not a lot but somewhat, hard to say, mine was pretty slow before.. Disk defragment is probably a wise thing to do, earlier all those files where in one continous segment, now it's lot's of small files. So both game file defragment in the Steam and then probably disk defragment. Or another way around, i can't think which way it's best.. SSD users don't suffer the same, i think, any reports? But i fail to see what fresh install would fix, somebody has to try it..

EDIT:Simracingmanager really don't work so well anymore... I hope we get an update to it that filters the ingame contents away. And i can't find Steam game file defragment anywhere, have they removed it? They must think we all have SSD drives then...

Wow! this seems likes a lot of hassle for nothing. Like i was saying earlier i keep my Steam offline and everything of mine is all good. No problems getting online, i was just racing online. Unless i start having problems getting online, i'm staying away from Steam online.

How can these arrogant, force you to accept a change which give no indication of how it will affect the products you have paid, or that you will lose data or disables you've paid expansions, which makes changes to files servers payment that could be .....? Is my computer, not yours, and I must report changes in my files, or software changes that I paid. I have not bought a steam product, I purchased a product from Simbin, they have changed. I mean I have paid for the red menu GTR-E, they can not change it without my permission.
The cancel and reject the change is not real choice, since not allow me to enjoy the product that I paid.

I have demanded a refund of money paid. In Spain this is not legal, is the same as a hacker can do with software that sneaks you saying it is something else and you delete all your data.

Not even if they had given me, should the user have such contempt.

Another thing is that I have to put advertising every time I close a game ... the first and the last. I returned the money and I'll buy the injection by ebay.

I downloaded 30 GB today.

Google translation, sorry.

Things I found out (sorry for reposting stuff from page 1, but maybe a very short summary for others still trying to avoid "updating"

1. Your personal data in "own files"/documents: Just change gameinstalldir.ini and you will have your profile and no install2 directory -->costs seconds

2. Whatever I tried, I had to download 2.2 gb. This should be the new RACE07 base game files - BUT: I still have race 07 files.gcf and race 07 textures.gcf in my steamapps folder! Will try to delete them next. Wasted diskspace?

3. All five DLCs have their files in steamapps and I haven't found cars or tracks from them in \common\race07\... What is this good for? RACE07 in both, RACE On, STCC, GTR Evolution in common, DLCs in steamaps.

4. I have another userdata folder in steam. Will setups be loaded from there? Or just some default placeholder?

I will try to put my mods in later. For mod content the file system is worse.

Wow! this seems likes a lot of hassle for nothing. Like i was saying earlier i keep my Steam offline and everything of mine is all good. No problems getting online, i was just racing online. Unless i start having problems getting online, i'm staying away from Steam online.

How can I stay offline in steam and still drive online races? Never tried this, as I never thought it would be possible. Will try this:)

Try it Andreas and you'll see there's no problem.
You need the connection for the race server ... but not for Steam.
I always use Steam offline for championship races .... and no worry.

How can I stay offline in steam and still drive online races? Never tried this, as I never thought it would be possible. Will try this:)

Steam is not needed to race online once everything is initially installed . It is necessary if you want to chat with others with it but if you don't then don't bother doing the change. There is no game updates so im leaving my game just the way it is.

Steam is not needed to race online once everything is initially installed . It is necessary if you want to chat with others with it but if you don't then don't bother doing the change. There is no game updates so im leaving my game just the way it is.

I'm fairly certain that you have to do this sooner or later.. There is an update coming, i can smell it, that will address the hacking issues, that will ultimately make everyone respect the new address.

My Steam hasn't worked offline since the last real update.... I can select go offline, start the game and it refuses to start without steam online. I thought that was the same with all of us, i remember discussing it in length after the 1.2.1.10 update when online setups went to crap (it was full Steam fresh install that did fixed it...)

Mod edit: removed unnecessary bits.

I'm fairly certain that you have to do this sooner or later.. There is an update coming, i can smell it, that will address the hacking issues, that will ultimately make everyone respect the new address.

My Steam hasn't worked offline since the last real update....

Fact is Hiroshi is right and you did not acknowledge that this is causing a lot of problems (including to YOU) to people when there is no REAL need to go online. You say you can...er...SMELL...an update, is that reason for people to go online and risk losing something (a mod or the whole install) on account of it?

Mod edit: removed unnecessary bits

I know Kennett, and i too think that a update is coming. I'm just holding off until it becomes absolutely necessary.

I have over 50 mods installed and everything is running very well for me. Just don't want to deal with this right now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back