Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

I'm Jempy :roflmao:

And I confirm here ... I didn't update any expansion.
All contents of all expansions are working in Race07 that way .... until now ...but mysteries of Steam might change that situation one of these days or hours or minutes maybe ????

1st time you use an expansion, loading time seems ( hum ) is slower ... but it seems to be settled the next time you use it. Confirmed too ... I just tried ;)

But ... someone who did the same as I did ( except 1 thing ) still has problems.
We tried together to see the differences between a working game and another slowly working one but didn't find.

3 solutions are good: yours Chrono ... if still possible to avoid problems ... Steam Offline
- Kenneth Ylitalo's one
- mine: ( adapted a little but first proposed by TrippTeam at F1Classic. Thanks to him )
All I did at the start ... was waiting for good news on some forums to find the good solution
wink.gif

That's what I did exactly:
- desactivate all mods and addon tracks in order to make the content lighter
- copy the whole folder Steam/Steamapps/MYPSEUDO/Race07 into ..../Common
- in my documents Simbin/Race07 Install 4 ( few installs and move to disk E: ) I copied the whole content to a new folder Simbin/Race07 Install 5.
- opened file: GameInstallDir and changed the line with: GameInstallDir=e:\steam games\steamapps\common\race 07
- opened Steam and started Race07 ... which was downloaded for update
- closed game and Steam
- new start of game and everything's working as before.... just having to activate mods and addon tracks
Except this problem of slow loading I corrected with moving Race07 preceeding install.

I kept all replays, settings, setups, plr, .....

The only thing I didn't do was starting GTR EVO because Steam proposed a new update of this one I refused.
The whole thing: +- 1 hour maximum ( after reading posts for more than 2 hours !

But it doesn't seem to work for everybody .... so if not yet done wait a bit to know more ...and use Chrono's solution: Steam Offline.

It hasn't been a smooth transfer for me despite running an original install. A huge thanks Valve from the heart of my bottom for the time I've wasted trying to fix their screw-up :poop:

Part 1: The directory transfer screwed up my SimBin game installs so I deleted everything and re-downloaded Race '07 and installed everything else from back-up copies. I've managed/fluked to get all but STCC and Race On installed without issue, although I had to verify each game cache multiple times. For example: Race '07 needs to download 2 or more corrupted files after I install each piece of Race '07 DLC whilst GTR Evo verified its cache as being fine after installation only to require 129 files be downloded when I rechecked the cache after starting Race 07.

Interestingly when installing STCC and Race On from Steam created back-ups, the HDD sounded like it was about to explode!

Part 2: My Race installations are finally working :)

STCC and Race On had to be re-downloaded and installed from Steam as they didn't install from back-ups properly. Race On isn't recognised as being installed if one looks at the scrolling text at the bottom of Race '07 home screen despite everything from Race On appearing in the game. Further, I still cannot launch Race On, GTR Evo or any DLC packs without the message "Do you want to install Race 07" appearing. If I verify each games cache, often 120+ files that are re-downloaded for either GTR Evo, Race On and WTCC 2010.

TL;DR - thankfully Race 07+DLC, Race On & GTR Evo all work despite some minor issues remaining.

When Steam prompted me to do the Download I clicked cancel , but it still started updating... !?!?! I just hope it doesn't affect anything.

Edit: Not so bad ... My profile , addon tracks, car setups and Mods didn't transfer , but all the game's addons seem to be working allright.

I just manually transfered ( drag and drop ) my profile , car setups , and addon tracks manually from one folder to the new ones. It's late though , so mods will wait.

Does this mean people are able to install everything and click on any icon and have their game start just like before the Steam 'upgrade' or are people just starting games via Race '07?

Does this mean people are able to install everything and click on any icon and have their game start just like before the Steam 'upgrade' or are people just starting games via Race '07?
There is no problem if you only start Race07, if you start an add-on another .gcf file is made and Steam reports that you need Race07 is needed.
If you start Race07 every add-on works.

It's no problem if you delete the extra .gcf files like Crown plaza, GTR EVO or stcc.

Thanks Peter. I knew about just using Race 07 to avoid errors; I was hoping Steam or SimBin managed to correct the issue altogether.

I now have a gcf file called "race 07 vivamedia" that appeared and I only have Race 07 installed.

Thanks Peter. I knew about just using Race 07 to avoid errors; I was hoping Steam or SimBin managed to correct the issue altogether.

I now have a gcf file called "race 07 vivamedia" that appeared and I only have Race 07 installed.
Race 07 is only race 07 files.gcf, race 07 textures.gcf and appmanifest_8600.acf (thats the shortcut id)

Viva Media sell games, the only racing games they have are gtr evo and race on.

How long should this "conversion" process supposed to take?
Mine has been chugging away now for about 5 hours, I'm begiining to suspect that something has gone wrong and it has stalled somehow.

Looking at the modem, it isn't downloading anything.

The race 07 viviamedia.gcf file keeps coming back :) It might be because I own all of the Race 07 and all the DLC, Race On, GTR Evo, RR as well as Race Injection. A Google search on "Race 07 Vivamedia.gcf" sends me to Russian game hacking websites.

I'm watching the steamapps temp folder when I install the SimBin games from back-ups and I notice the same files keep getting transferred into the temp folder and then deleted once the installation is complete, leaving these files missing from the games. Upon selecting to verify each game cache, one is downloading the same files over and over again.

The other thing I noted was the Crown Plaza DLC sits in it's own file folder inside the Steam "common" folder and this can be merged with the Race 07 folder.

Whoever at Valve made this change to the SimBin games really screwed up :rolleyes:

How long should this "conversion" process supposed to take?
Mine has been chugging away now for about 5 hours, I'm begiining to suspect that something has gone wrong and it has stalled somehow.
Given that it's been going for 5 hours and the fact so many of us have had corruption that couldn't be fixed, it may be time to kill the process, back-up any games you haven't already and download Race 07 and use the back-ups to install whatever is left to install.

Thanks, clearly something has gone wrong.:(
Time to clean all my Race 07 stuff from the PC. I might consider re-installing sometime later, but I don't use Race 07 much these days, and this has killed any enthusiasm for it for now.

Thanks, clearly something has gone wrong.:(
Time to clean all my Race 07 stuff from the PC. I might consider re-installing sometime later, but I don't use Race 07 much these days, and this has killed any enthusiasm for it for now.

That is what I fear from a lot of fans frustrated by all this.

Hope you reconsider, Warren. Maybe in the next few days, Jempy or another good soul will come up with a faster, cleaner and effective solution to all this.

In the mean time, as soon as Steam asks people to update, terminate the connection (and disable auto-update). Hopefully, by disabling the auto-update feature you'll be spared some frustration as well.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 432 39.7%