Special Guest Article: Guess The Game V2 - VirtuaIceMan's hard quiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HwVk9Zm.jpg

Guest Article: Time for a much harder version of Guess The Game... from my vaults of over 600 PC games!

First up, Formula 1 games!

These are split into Easy/Medium/Hard categories. Some categories might have more than one game...

I'll reveal answers a week later (or so).

One clue:
  • Easy = readily available to buy still, or fairly well known in the past.
  • Medium = maybe not available to buy (apart from eBay); a bit less known.
  • Hard = good luck on guessing these!

F1 Easy 1: not guessed by anyone! Pitstart from C64 & AMIGA Classix Remakes Sixpack: this is a pretty terrible-looking remake of Pitstop II. It plays like one of those free online Flash games from years gone by, but is available on Steam right now. Weirdly, the credits say it was ported from Android by Rainbow Arts and graphics/animation are by Team Turrican. I assume that Epyx own the names of Turrican and the former developer of that game, so decided to use it for all these clumsy remakes.
r8hhJHD.jpg

F1 Easy 2:
correctly guessed by @Lightcruiser - Superstar Racing: still available online, this is a Free2Play F1 game. Sadly, the website you would enter your credit card details into (in order to unlock features) is lacking any kind of SSL security, making paying a highly risky idea! The game also features a rally racing mode, but you have to pay to even try it out!
duT3Kdn.jpg

F1 Medium 1:
correctly guessed by @DarXtreme - Formula Challenge: this was a PS2 game that was ported to PC and seems to have been released in Australia (at the very least). It could have been a decent basic arcade racer, but stiff handling, missing sun effects (just a big square in the sky!) and a crash-to-Desktop after every race make it not worth your time!
YrjBvLZ.jpg

F1 Medium 2:
correctly guessed by @Stanislas - Singtel Ultimate Race: Kunos Simulazioni released this modified version of netKar Pro, featuring an approximation of the Singapore F1 track and an F1 car. This was released before the track appeared in any Codemasters game.
qbo1vRY.jpg

F1 Hard 1: not guessed by anyone! Clipping Point: this is a Korean multi-vehicle racing game. It's highly arcade in nature, and can be converted (partly) to English by modifying some files (hence some of the menus being a bit placeholder!).
U7csRiQ.jpg

F1 Hard 2: correctly guessed by @Stanislav Minakov - F-1: also known as G.P. Formula 1 Simulator, this was released by Spanish company Zigurat in 1991. They also made a number of other DOS racing games, including Paris-Dakar, Sito Pons 500cc Grand Prix and Carlos Sainz.
28rUJs5.jpg

F1 Hard 3:
not guessed by anyone! Kraze: subtitled "The Ultimate Race", this multi-vehicle arcade racer was released to some fanfare in India. However the handling is absolutely unplayable, with massive collision bugs everywhere, and some rather comical graphics. Avoid!
7Jv72zG.jpg

F1 Hard 4:
not guessed by anyone! Starbet Racer: subtitled "The big racing fan challenge 2006", this was a German game where you could bet and be rewarded with cash for racing. It features a sort-of F1 car and tracks based loosely on the Monza, Turkey and possibly Hockenheim F1 tracks.
TbcpjAX.jpg

F1 Hard 5:
not guessed by anyone! Virtual F1: this was released on the Boonty download system a long time ago. It's a French game that seems to derive from a graphics demo that was called XtrmRace, however the graphics are highly broken on modern graphics cars, with polygons z-fighting everywhere. It's an arcade racing title with poor handling and bad collisions (and only 3 tracks).
HwVk9Zm.jpg

Last edited:
That's 2 down! Some of them if you expand the picture by clicking it you might find the odd clue!

Yet to come: bikes, offroad/rally, car racing, wheeled and floating futuristic racers and 3 unreleased games that I happen to have!

Last edited:
F1 medium 1 is Formula Challenge for PS2. I never owned it, only tried at my friend's home some years ago... I don't like it, so much that remembering it is a trauma!:O_o:

One week until I reveal what all the unguessed games are! Some clues to help(?):
F1 Easy 1 = on Steam now!
F1 Hard 1 = a Korean game
F1 Hard 3 = an Asian game; doesn't just have F1
F1 Hard 4 = look closely at barriers on the left and sign in the distance
F1 Hard 5 = the almost unknown download store this came from is still active, but the game's not on it

I'll be revealing the answers for the non-guessed ones tomorrow, so last chance to have a guess!

I'll also be revealing the next hard quiz: screenshots from motorbike games!

Bike Easy 2 looks like Suzuki Alstare Racing from criterion

Bike Medium 2 should be Super-Bikes: Riding Challenge from Milestone

Bike Hard 1 could be GP vs Superbike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 104 18.8%
  • €151-500

Votes: 146 26.4%
  • €501-1000