What do you think of the audio ambience in the pitlane ?

• The volume is good

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Could be quieter

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don't like it at all !

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Been there... what a pain

Now that you have them separated, maybe worth looking into how detailed they are? Being one of the original tracks, I'm thinking it has the simpler 3 plane configuration. Would be wise to subdivide them a little more for better normals (newer Kunos tracks)

Left is what you want, an edge in the middle of the planes

View attachment 546617
They are simple 3 planes right now, you are right. I can look to subdivide them, I mean the big part is done so why stop there haha. I know that Lilsky added another horizontal plane to have better shadows on the ground but that seems quite tricky, if I'm not scattering my own trees.

They are simple 3 planes right now, you are right. I can look to subdivide them, I mean the big part is done so why stop there haha. I know that Lilsky added another horizontal plane to have better shadows on the ground but that seems quite tricky, if I'm not scattering my own trees.
Not sure if you are using max or blender, but to create those horizontal planes, all you need to do is to create a duplicate of all your trees, then replace those duplicates with the horizontal shapes. Scripts out there that can do this easily

Some screenshots for you guys, illustrating what I said in my UPDATE 03 yesterday...

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.04 - 00.01.22.09.jpg

Pitlane with "red zone", and enhanced red paint stripe that looks newer. Also note the "guides" in front of each pit boxes.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.04 - 00.02.25.23.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.04 - 00.03.19.30.jpg

The two placeholder grandstands. Don't pay too much attention to those and the bad texture on the ground. This is the two area that are not finished in real life and that I don't many details about.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.04 - 00.04.26.49.jpg

Here you can see that I enhanced the asphalt texture a bit, adding rubber marbles to have a more "living" track and not some pristine never used one. I think it is subtle, and definitely adding to the realism. It is noticeable even when driving.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.04 - 00.05.19.80.jpg

And here is a look at the trees.

This looks great! I was hoping someone would do this, thanks a lot for your hard work. Can't wait to give it a try

Edit: This onboard-lap is from today. maybe it's helpful to you:

Last edited:
Hello guys,

As Spa released more pictures, I thought I would share some of them so you can keep track of the progress and also make the comparison with the work I do.

Probably approaching the end of the track work, the workers are at the moment re-surfacing portions of the circuit with brand new asphalt. I'll leave you to see for yourself. But one thing comes in mind when watching the picture is that my track looks way to clean, and the newer asphalt is way darker than I did it. Of course it will becomes lighter as the time passes, but still.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Hi guys i m so excited for this new spa
please please please guys to everyone who is working hard right now on this amazing track
please consider making next detailed trees for this track at least the ones that we can see while we drive please guys i keep hoping everytime i play on this track to see it's trees improved someday
thank you to everyone who is putting a lot of effort and time to improve our sim and give us the best experience we can get !!!
God bless you all

please please please guys to everyone who is working hard right now on this amazing track
please consider making next detailed trees for this track at least the ones that we can see while we drive please guys i keep hoping everytime i play on this track to see it's trees improved someday
thank you to everyone who is putting a lot of effort and time to improve our sim and give us the best experience we can get !!!
God bless you all
The updates done on trees for this new version (better textures, mesh subdivision) will improve the look quite a bit. 3D trees is not the way to go with the AC engine.

God bless you all
Hi Djamil, thank you for your interest. Regarding trees, or anything else really, we can always do better looking assets. The thing is, how much time one is willing to take - or have the time to spend on it, and obviously a major factor is optimization. Assetto is a very popular platform and therefore is run on a wide range of configs. Spa being quite a large track, and widely populated with trees. Using higher quality assets would involve taking a risk of destroying the graphic performance of the track for the more modest PC, also considering that Spa can host quite large grids of cars, which are heavy on performance as well. I too, think that Kunos trees could be better, but I also think they are a great balance between look and performance. I will do the enhancements suggested by @Johnr777 using the @LilSki method (I think it's from him), but don't expect much more.

I'm doing this as a hobby beside my main work, this is my first time modding and I already sinked a good amount of time on this. I will keep your suggestion in mind, but I have a main focus of releasing a functionnal track with the basic features and then eventually polish or update as the real track evolves.

Stay tuned for more updates !

yeah of course not 3d trees all i want to see is new tree textures to match the ones in real life!! like the the ones in the pics of the new real spa 2022
again thank you for your hard work mates
The updates done on trees for this new version (better textures, mesh subdivision) will improve the look quite a bit. 3D trees is not the way to go with the AC engine.

Last edited:
UPDATE 04 :

Hello guys ! After being away for a while, I had the possibility to work again on the track. I have reworked the Stavelot curves where now the tire wall stays way further than before. I also updated all the areas with that have had their surface redone. And at the same time, I reworked the texture to give it a dirty look with some dust leftover.

Also the speaker corner has been polished and is in it's final form, I added some cones and also some reference doted painted lines as seen on reference videos from YouTube, adding again that little touch of realism.

La source hairpin gain a small patch of asphalt next to the gravel trap.

The descent towards Eau Rouge gains a big asphalt area on the left.

Between Les Combes and Malmedy, the outer gard rails have been pushed further to have a bigger gravel trap.

I will try to maintain regular progress but I am more and more busy with work at the moment.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.29.30.56.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.30.57.53.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.32.18.35.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.32.51.97.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.33.06.62.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.39.04.96.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.40.07.52.jpg

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.40.55.45.jpg

Attachments

• Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.29.53.41.jpg
    Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.03.18 - 11.29.53.41.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 85
And to complement all those boring screenshots. Here's a two laps video visiting most of the changes.

Also notice my attempt at having Gran Turismo 7 without a PS5 haha. I think Assetto is not too bad in comparison with proper setup...

I did an AI upscale for some of the textures, like the track side vehicles, cranes and some other objects. I’ll try and remember to send them your way this weekend!

It looks great! That's so much work you've done, and it looks amazing. Can't wait to drive it!

One slight thing I noticed in this video, at three spots the astroturf has been removed and the gravel was brought closer to the track. In comparison this is only a slight change, but if you see the possibility to add this change as well that would be great. And otherwise never mind, this is already such a good update

This is what I meant, the current real-life situation:
Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 16.11.41.png

How it is in the game:
Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 16.10.54-min.png

It's that way on the exit of Stavelot (T14), but also on the exit of Combes (T7) and the exit of Fagnes (T13).

One slight thing I noticed in this video, at three spots the astroturf has been removed and the gravel was brought closer to the track. In comparison this is only a slight change, but if you see the possibility to add this change as well that would be great. And otherwise never mind, this is already such a good update

It's that way on the exit of Stavelot (T14), but also on the exit of Combes (T7) and the exit of Fagnes (T13).

Thanks @HuibVDN for pointing this out. I was already aware of this for the exit of Les Combes. Will do the change for the other turns .

UPDATE 05 :

It is time for a new update. With 2 big changes. One being the long awaited (for some) tree textures overhaul, and the other is the landscaping of the 24H grid. With some other minor updates.

First the trees. I made brand new tree and pine textures which are a bit more detailed and with more natural colors. The pines are a bit different from the vanilla as they have more skinny naked trunk with foliage concentrated at the top. They still need some work to balance brightness for every time/weather scenario but the main part is done. I know they still look like flat 2D cardboard trees but that's the way it is.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I also removed the background forest texture at Les Fagnes. As in real life and thanks to the new pine textures, you can now see through.

03.jpg

New addition is also the LED panel placed over the start/finish line. With accurate texture for the celebrating of the circuit's 100 years. This panel is self emissive, so it glows like the real one. It will need to have a patch in light.ini to cast light on the track with CSP.

04.jpg

Then the second biggest change visually is the new landscaping, that couldn't be finished this year due to the lack of time and will be prepared for newt year's season.

05.jpg

Small addition around this area, is the return of the gantry above the 24H start line. I had removed it due to the extension of the track width. This time it makes its return for good, and in correct size.

06.jpg

And final changes for this update, is the small adjustments/removal to the astroturf outside 3 corners as suggested just previously.

07.jpg

08.jpg

With each update, we get closer to the release of a polished track. I hope the time doesn't seem to long for you and that you enjoy this progress posts. Don't hesitate to provide constructive feedback or modifications like some people here did before, to get as much realim as possible. This is a project made for the community after all !

Looks great. I like the new trees, but possibly a little lighter on the color and/or maybe a different tone of green. Looking at the pictures, they seem to be a bit too dark compared to all of the other track textures and everything doesn't seem to fit together well if that makes sense.

It definitely looks great! The detail of work is amazing. The new trees look really good as well
As far as I can see it all should be very realistic now, my compliments!

There's one thing I'm wondering, and this is more a question than an actual statement because I'm not sure. I wonder if the tyre barrier in the picture above has been moved back by a couple of meters in the changes. I know this spot has been the location of some heavy crashes over the years, so it would make sense for them to do so. But I'm not entirely sure if it did move. Judging by this it does look like it was moved back a slight bit, but the angle makes it hard to see. I'll see if I can find a better picture

Edit: I don't know if you already got this, but they also removed the astro-turf on all other spots around the track. They already did this two years ago, but the Kunos track obviously still had this

I've been part of a group which soon will release the cars that do the yearly 25 Hour race at Spa, the FunCup. They will really come into their own on this updated version of the track! Should be released in the coming weeks right here on RD

Last edited:
@racinjoe013 I quickly went through a couple of photos and replays of the track today, and my trees are indeed too dark and the colors are off, as you said. Will look into that.

@HuibVDN I don't think the tire barrier was pushed back. They only made the conversion from full asphalt to gravel trap. The barrier seems to "turn" right after the second red part on the left, which is identical in 24h spa 2021 onboards.

That's really good for the Funcup ! Huge grids of low powered cars are always fun to race. Looking forward to it

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 19.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Forum trophies