AC Social Event: Toyota GT86 @ Silverstone National - Wed 10JAN18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi everyone,

I developed a setup for anyone who might need one. I tried my best to get it stable.
Thanks man :)
On a very quick inspection in Notepad, the only obvious thing I see is that yours is symmetric, while @JoelK has an (unusual?) asymmetric setup, for camber at least (can't recall the rest cos I looked at it last night). Will have to give 'em both a try ;)

On a very quick inspection in Notepad, the only obvious thing I see is that yours is symmetric, while @JoelK has an (unusual?) asymmetric setup, for camber at least (can't recall the rest cos I looked at it last night). Will have to give 'em both a try ;)
Yeah I kinda experimented with the asymmetry but didn't feel a significant difference :D I've just put on the setup which I had the fastest time with, which could've been just a fluke :D

No problem :) I ran maximum negative camber everywhere to help with turn in and mid corner grip but even then its not as negative as I'd like. Stabilised the back end with some toe out as well and virtually is spin proof

No problem :) I ran maximum negative camber everywhere to help with turn in and mid corner grip but even then its not as negative as I'd like. Stabilised the back end with some toe out as well and virtually is spin proof
I dimly recall that when I last played with setups for this car, I couldn't get the back out enough even with negative toe on the rear :) But it has been some time so I need to play with it all again (and of course the track may matter - haven't driven it at Silverstone yet).
Edit: I realise that I also now can't remember whether AC regards toe-out as negative or positive!

afaik the real time value is negative = toe out, positive = toe in.
So most cars have something like -0.2 at the front and +0.2 at the rear.
But the SLIDER in the setup menu can be different depending on the axle and the car which direction means what absolute value...
Which might be like in real life. Depending where the tie rod sits (in front or behind the wheel axle)

I dimly recall that when I last played with setups for this car, I couldn't get the back out enough even with negative toe on the rear :) But it has been some time so I need to play with it all again (and of course the track may matter - haven't driven it at Silverstone yet).
Edit: I realise that I also now can't remember whether AC regards toe-out as negative or positive!

Yeah it's quite stable compared to a lot of the other cars. Bless her, she has a tiny engine but she tries all the way up to 8000rpm :roflmao:

In regards to positive and negative toe, I personally reference the live values in the car status page so I read positive toe as values greater than 0 and negative less than 0. Neutral values are valid too 0. Setup gurus often say you run neutral or negative toe at the front and neutral or positive at the rear but sometimes, positive toe can be valid for the front as well, depending on the car's tendency to oversteer or understeer (i.e.: positive front toe can help tame Porsche 911s)

Yeah it's quite stable compared to a lot of the other cars. Bless her, she has a tiny engine but she tries all the way up to 8000rpm :roflmao:
Agreed. I'm very fond of the GT86 - superb for close racing, and very forgiving.

reference the live values in the car status page so I read positive toe as values greater than 0 and negative less than 0.
Cool, ta. But do you regard positive as toe-in or toe-out? :redface:

Edit: I just confirmed in-game that negative numbers in the live values means the leading edge of the tyre moves away from the centre-line of the car - I'm gonna call that toe-out for now, which I think/hope is correct. (This is true for both front and rear in the setup screen, for the GT86, with the caveat that the rear can't actually reach a negative value so it's just a case of reducing the toe to nearly neutral values.)
The funky/weird/wtff thing is that the sliders for the front and rear of the car work don't do the same thing: moving negatively on the front slider means moving toward toe-out, while doing the same on the rear toe slider means moving towards toe-in. [This might be what Rasmus was getting at when he said that different cars behaved differently in the AC setup screen due to suspension differences...]

So now I simply don't recall what I've done in my old setups and will have to go through them to find out :confused::D:roflmao::O_o::ninja: - PS: it's entirely possible that I did the opposite of what I thought I was doing.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm very fond of the GT86 - superb for close racing, and very forgiving.

Cool, ta. But do you regard positive as toe-in or toe-out? :redface:

Edit: I just confirmed in-game that negative numbers in the live values means the leading edge of the tyre moves away from the centre-line of the car - I'm gonna call that toe-out for now, which I think/hope is correct. (This is true for both front and rear in the setup screen, for the GT86, with the caveat that the rear can't actually reach a negative value so it's just a case of reducing the toe to nearly neutral values.)
The funky/weird/wtff thing is that the sliders for the front and rear of the car work don't do the same thing: moving negatively on the front slider means moving toward toe-out, while doing the same on the rear toe slider means moving towards toe-in. [This might be what Rasmus was getting at when he said that different cars behaved differently in the AC setup screen due to suspension differences...]

So now I simply don't recall what I've done in my old setups and will have to go through them to find out :confused::D:roflmao::O_o::ninja: - PS: it's entirely possible that I did the opposite of what I thought I was doing.

Toe-out for me are positive values and toe-in negative values in the car status page.

Agreed, it is confusing the way it works in the setup. I brought it up on the official forums a few years ago and was told by one of the devs that its meant to be that way but I dunno :whistling:

toe-tire-alignment.png

it's from bridgestonetire.com/ so I think it's correct. Also that's what I read and saw everywhere :p
It also makes sense because tires that are pointed to the inside will give you stability and understeering and tires that are pointing outside will try to "step out" all the time.

So most of the time you'd want the fronts to be pointing to the outside (negative toe) to be responsive and the rear with positive toe to make the rear more stable.
Important to know is that the toe is influenced by caster and camber so the fronts (which have caster) will shift to extreme toe values mid corner (both wheels have a different angle then for inside and outside corner radius).
The rear is only influenced by the camber and afaik it gets more positive with more camber/suspension travel.

Then there are of course some special cars like Formula cars that are often run with positive front toe. Simply because they are very responsive anyway and you'd like them to be more stable mid corner at high G's.
And if cars don't like to rotate some negative toe at the rear can work wonders. Afaik the Cayman gt4 uses this at default?

Last edited:
Assuming my app is showing the correct camber and suspension movements.

There seems to be a very large amount of camber change from
the straight to entry to mid corner. And it is mostly positive camber.
What you do about it seems beyond the setup parameters available.

But the car to "me" seems very predictable, and changes to setup seem virtually
Independent from this.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes