So, Who's Looking Forward to VR Coming to ACC?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update.jpg

Only 17 days to go until the new build release of Assetto Corsa Competizione, and with release 2 comes VR.... so who's excited then?

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a relatively new and increasingly popular gaming technology where a player who uses one of the various VR headsets can experience their title of choice in a more immersive three dimensional environment, placing the gamer in the car rather than watching on from a flat 2D screen as has traditionally been the case in game consumption up to this point.

Obviously an ability to feel more at one with the car as is the case with VR is a significant advantage in the quest for sim racing immersion, and as such recent months have seen an increasingly large and vocal section of our community extolling the virtues of this technological breakthrough in modern sim racing.

Now with Assetto Corsa Competizione publicly available and on the road to a fully complete release by the first quarter of 2019, it is getting ever closer to the build update that brings VR to the title, something that I'm pretty sure a fair collection of people here at RD are excited to try out for the first time.

Not only does build two come with VR compatibility for the first time, but also players will be granted access to the Bentley Continental GT3 (old version, new spec coming at V1.00) and the Misano World Circuit, plus further updates to the game itself that include new feature implementation of a "basic" pit stop, SuperPole and various ranking improvements. All very exciting stuff.

So with ACC having been out a little while now and with big updates in the works, the question is - are you excited for build 2 this October 10th?

You can check out the current release roadmap and pricing schedules HERE.
Our early pre release first impressions 'Talk n Drive' video can be viewed HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione (build 1) is available to purchase on Steam Early Access now.

Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 4.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 5.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting new sim from the makers of the hit Assetto Corsa title. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, looking forward to ACC going VR, plus the new Bentley and Misano in just 17 days time? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I know this feeling quite well. Still, I managed to get over it because I can get pretty stubborn if I've set my mind on a goal.

For some reason driving games were the worst, at the beginning 1min time limit or bathroom it is. Especially rolling motions over the curbs absolutely killed me.

Try some other games, for me Elite Dangerous was easy enough to play a good 30min at the beginning and over time I was able to lengthen my AC sessions gradually, too.

Just don't force it till you puke, if you feel unwell stop before it gets to bad. Also you might try some ginger products, drinking a glass of ginger ale 10min before the VR session helped me a lot.

Sounds like you didn't lock the horizon, especially the part with the curb makes me think that. Locking horizon is essential to not get sick. Normally driving sim should be easier on the brain then flight/space sim...

wel, just goes to show we're all different :cool: keep rolling!

btw, interesting discussion here. if i have to force myself doing it or have to take babysteps, why on earth should i even bother?
Since we are going that route, I'm 65. Not even thinking about forcing myself to train for something my body does not seems to accept naturally.
Strange thing is that I had friends getting nausea while trying my rig (triple 27 inch 144Hz) at about 50 cm from the eyes, while I can drive for hours without issues (which is what I am aiming at) :cool:

Sounds like you didn't lock the horizon, especially the part with the curb makes me think that. Locking horizon is essential to not get sick. Normally driving sim should be easier on the brain then flight/space sim...
Doesn't work for everybody the same way. I tried locking the horizon, was even worse for me, real head motion plugin made no difference.

For some reason the problem was limited to driving, flying was fine, no problems with rolling motions either. As soon as I tried the SRV the first time, oh boy, I had to stop quite fast. That's why I recommended looking into different games until there's one that works for you.

Friend of mine came over to try my setup and went in AC for well over two hours the first time he ever used VR. Man was I jealous.

I'm 47. The very first time i tried VR I felt sick. Later that evening I tried again with no sickness. Like when you're thrown off a horse - best to get back on it asap (so I'm told). Not sure if this is the place to post this, but a little Marijuana is a fantastic anti-nausea solution. Of course it's not everyone's cup of tea but nothing works better IMHO.

• Deleted member 197115

I'm 47. The very first time i tried VR I felt sick. Later that evening I tried again with no sickness. Like when you're thrown off a horse - best to get back on it asap (so I'm told). Not sure if this is the place to post this, but a little Marijuana is a fantastic anti-nausea solution. Of course it's not everyone's cup of tea but nothing works better IMHO.
Some recommend ginger candies, fools. :)

Since we are going that route, I'm 65. Not even thinking about forcing myself to train for something my body does not seems to accept naturally.
Strange thing is that I had friends getting nausea while trying my rig (triple 27 inch 144Hz) at about 50 cm from the eyes, while I can drive for hours without issues (which is what I am aiming at) :cool:
Had cv1 made non moving horizont, still sickness played for many times but could not get used to it, and resolution finally did tthis i sold and with tripples 75hz v-sync on this the way i like, maybe next gen will be better, wanna tey pimax5k+!

I love to take a toke or two while racing, but I'm slower, so when racing online I"m not as competitive so don't smoke. 60 YO here and never had a prob. with VR, I"v been a boater all my life and I think that has helped me, I"ve had friends that cant't last 5 min., I can race for hours. I also believe you can "ween" your way into VR, and man is it woth it!
Cheers

I rather get nausea while looking on a screen without decent enough framerates than in VR and ACC is a candidate for that. In VR-games like Fallout where you have to stay for roomscale, i find it far more comfortable to lean and just switch direction with the controllers. In sim-racing i got a bit sick while driving Sebring before the lock to horizon feature came out. Otherwise my SimVibe-setup helps a lot to prevent nausea and my new buttkicker Concert is kicking a... :whistling:

My big problem is that sickness doesn't go away even the next day, 1st time i was like a zombie at work so i can't have that, i will take advice from guys posted here and try smaller steps , i kinda forced myself until i felt very bad and puked lol :D.
Another thing i see is that a lot of guys post about bad graphics , i never tried Oculus , i have only Lenovo but with high settings i can read better the on board info in vr that on my screen , image is very sharp in cockpit, i don't know about fps but it worked very smooth
My spec : i7 6700k 4.5OC 16gb DDR4, GTX1080

Most impressive vr moment i had in Heinkel He 111 in BOX Il2, just WOW :))

Last edited:
My big problem is that sickness doesn't go away even the next day, 1st time i was like a zombie at work so i can't have that, i will take advice from guys posted here and try smaller steps , i kinda forced myself until i felt very bad and puked lol :D.
Another thing i see is that a lot of guys post about bad graphics , i never tried Oculus , i have only Lenovo but with high settings i can read better the on board info in vr that on my screen , image is very sharp in cockpit, i don't know about fps but it worked very smooth
My spec : i7 6700k 4.5OC 16gb DDR4, GTX1080

Most impressive vr moment i had in Heinkel He 111 in BOX Il2, just WOW :))
Yeah, never "Force" it in VR; if it feels too uncomfortable, take a break or wait a day to try again. It's the pushing through to the point where you get sick that makes it hard to want to even try it again.

Anticipation and recognition of how much you can actually tolerate takes some time to establish so baby-steps are essential; once you build some confidence and recognize the trouble-signs, you can progress faster.

Oculus Connect 5 has started, not a word on any new more powerful PC HMD, all focus on Santa Cruz, it's Oculus Quest now, available Spring 2019 (who cares)
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-santa-cruz-2019/

There's a little info on the Half Dome at the bottom of the page there. 4K, 140 FOV, varifocal displays etc. "When we’ll actually see that happen remains unclear although, according to Abrash, it could be a little sooner than we think".
https://uploadvr.com/oc5-4k-oculus-half-dome-prototype-would-be-straightforward/

• Deleted member 197115

There's a little info on the Half Dome at the bottom of the page there. 4K, 140 FOV, varifocal displays etc. "When we’ll actually see that happen remains unclear although, according to Abrash, it could be a little sooner than we think".
https://uploadvr.com/oc5-4k-oculus-half-dome-prototype-would-be-straightforward/
Yes, that was posted later, but if you didn't watch the whole keynote (I didn't), check comments section on your link
4-5 years, I am depressed.
upload_2018-9-26_13-4-24.png

Yes, that was posted later, but if you didn't watch the whole keynote (I didn't), check comments section on your link
4-5 years, I am depressed.
View attachment 271304

It'll be sooner than that. If they take too long, someone else will beat them to it. Playstation or someone/thing else, who knows.. still the early stages of the tech. In a few years they'll be something much better on the horizon and people will be complaining about the crappy eye tracking etc. Enjoy VR now and watch the progress unfold.

Normally driving sim should be easier on the brain then flight/space sim...

I'd disagree with that. In flying/space sims there's often not much sense of movement because you're surrounded by clouds or black space so your brain isn't really that aware that you're supposedly moving. In a driving sim you have fence posts, trees, brake markers, pedestrians, and all kinds of things zooming by in your peripheral visions which creates that sense of movement and that's when your brain freaks out because it sees movement but doesn't detect movement in your inner ear. Elite Dangerous was one of my first VR experiences outside of racing, at that time I was still getting minor motion sickness when driving more than 30 minutes or so but I could spend hours in Elite Dangerous and never feel a single butterfly in my stomach.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.