PC2 Slightly Mad Studios to Announce New IP?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head man Ian Bell has teased fans about an upcoming announcement.. a new game IP from the developers that brought you Project CARS and Need for Speed..

With Project CARS already out and taking on established PC and console racing rivals, plus with Project CARS 2 development well underway and the upcoming free to play Red Bull Air Race game also picking up pace one would be forgiven for thinking SMS already have enough on their plate, not so says Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell!

Speaking with fans over on the GTP forum, Bell admitted Slightly Mad Studios have "massive news" unrelated to the Project CARS franchise, stating they intend to announce "a new franchise (that's) very VERY exciting".

So with previous titles Project CARS, Test Drive Ferrari Racing, Shift 2 Unleashed and Need for Speed Shift under its belt, what could the new IP mean for SMS?

When pushed on if the announcement relates to a racing title, Bell was cagey in his reply, responding "Yes, sort of", which only heightens the curiosity around the future reveal.

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news on what Slightly Mad Studios have up their sleeve as and when it becomes available....

Last edited:
Lol you look at your self. wannabe sim cop. Better start donating or leave

Donate or leave?.....Ban me if you think you have the power to do so, I dare you.
I see many people commenting here on race department, yet you haven't told them to "donate or leave", or is there something deeper going on in your head, like should I not be here taking part in RD discussion's, because I don't fit the "Norm" of someone that should be into "cars" and "racing games"

They have the official Indy cars license for project cars 2, so why should they not make an official Indy car standalone racing sim.
There I've taken part in a Race Department discussion, now I will leave without donating, like many people do.

..and more important than that, RD is a racing community is it not? So why is this an article here? Given that it might not even be a racing title...? "Yes, sort of" could mean it's almost anything with a clock. I appreciate RD want traffic as much as SMS want exposure, but given RD's large and international audience, you guys are just as responsible for any hype trains as the companies themselves.

Simply because as Paul told, it's SMS. Do you really imagine SMS making a FPS?...

• Deleted member 6919

Can't even begin to tell you how tired I am of this bull-feces.
If Ian Bell has news to share, then share it.
If not, STFU.

Hair transplant would be my guess..:roflmao:

To be honest I really don't give a stuff, just sick of hearing his name..and why the sudden interest in GTplanets of all places...Why not here..hmmm oh yeh I remember now..

Personally I hate this sort of Shite, trying to hype yourself up all the time, even more more so when there isn't anything worth hyping.:poop:

Last edited by a moderator:
Criticism and the blow back from it should be expected as there is no sim, that I have tried regardless of version or platform, that has been the one to make all the others go in the Recycle Bin. I believe most developers recognize this as well and are tirelessly attempting to be the golden goose who lays something other than less than a goldish looking egg. I blame technology, half kidding of course, but over 20 years of racing game/sim experience one thing has been a constant and that is the hardware and software never seem to sync. Whether it is graphics stuttering, triple monitor support, FFB, true differences in cars other that than new ones handle better and old ones feel like your racing a three wheeled grocery cart on a curling rink, to VR. I'll repeat myself and hope that someone will release a piece of software that concentrates on quality rather than quantity, a series or two, one platform or another, monitor modding so that it meets certain minimums of quality. I believe the community in general feels frustrated and ultimately is becoming numb to the fact we are all in the same ocean but inevitably on different boats going in different directions, our messages/feelings are not clearly defined and therefore the developers are trying to be all to end all. To be the 'all' is a wish even the best sim genie would find to be an implausible task. In the end the inconsistencies of releases by SMS and others are primarily their own but some is ours.

They have the official Indy cars license for project cars 2, so why should they not make an official Indy car standalone racing sim.

For one, we were promised this stuff as (much cheaper) DLC back in PCars 1 days, so they fail to deliver that and instead wanted to release it as a full standalone game?

Of course, that doesn't mean that Indycar actually IS what they will be announcing down the road, but just saying, that's my opinion if it turns out to be true.

People who get furious if a big (within the scope of the business sector) company works on 2 (in words two) different products simultaneously should make an appointment at the psychiatrist, quickly
It was not that that made people furious, ofc they need to work on more than one game at the time. But announcing the next game just a few weeks after the first release, especially when the game is full of bugs and was not even (imo) ready to be released yet is not something I like to see. It makes me feel like the company just wants the game to be released asap to make money faster.

Why are the comments in this thread around shaming a video game company? Even with admins taking part in the "fun".
@Bram
So much for respecting users and companies that use this forum or which have their games with a dedicated place in this website.
How about respecting the people who bought PCARS 1 and never got a finished, working product?

If you want total subservience to the developer, you're certainly free to go to the Official Forums, "where never is heard a discouraging word".

This is part of the problem: Developers aggressively silence any dissent, even when it's done in a very calm and polite manner. They're scared that prospective buyers will Google their way into a thread on the official forum discussing a game's flaws. The problem is, this also insulates them from the very problems that need fixing. I saw this exact process occur with PCARS1 on the official WMD forums. It was like some sort of 3rd world dictatorship where only passivity and meek subservience was allowed. A lot of people tried very hard to tell them that the game had several major bugs, the FFB system was so complex that it could be a mini-game all by itself, and that several of the cars were simply horrible (like the P1, which has never been fixed to this day).

SMS/WMD instead chose to aggressively silence any criticism in the run-up to launch. I've heard that they've learned their lesson, but I'll certainly not be pre-ordering anything by them until I see them deliver a finished, working, reasonably bug-fee product. They have not managed to do this for many years, starting with NFS: Shift.

They also have a disturbing tendency to launch sequels instead of fixing the game they just released.

A while ago they started developing concepts for a motorbike game, possibly Road Rash style game play. This was while PCARS was under development on the WMD member site. Possibly that?

It's probably a Blog Simulator, where you get to trash various sims, attack developers and get companies in trouble with the FIA. The end goal is to be rewarded in person by Ian Bell as he rubs your head says "well done my Padawan", gives you a race car and buys your blog out.
I reckon the name is gonna be "The Pretty Rubbish Concept Simulator", with the slogan "Get Rewarded For Being Hated!" - it'll be a hoot!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%