PC2 Slightly Mad Studios to Announce New IP?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head man Ian Bell has teased fans about an upcoming announcement.. a new game IP from the developers that brought you Project CARS and Need for Speed..

With Project CARS already out and taking on established PC and console racing rivals, plus with Project CARS 2 development well underway and the upcoming free to play Red Bull Air Race game also picking up pace one would be forgiven for thinking SMS already have enough on their plate, not so says Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell!

Speaking with fans over on the GTP forum, Bell admitted Slightly Mad Studios have "massive news" unrelated to the Project CARS franchise, stating they intend to announce "a new franchise (that's) very VERY exciting".

So with previous titles Project CARS, Test Drive Ferrari Racing, Shift 2 Unleashed and Need for Speed Shift under its belt, what could the new IP mean for SMS?

When pushed on if the announcement relates to a racing title, Bell was cagey in his reply, responding "Yes, sort of", which only heightens the curiosity around the future reveal.

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news on what Slightly Mad Studios have up their sleeve as and when it becomes available....

Last edited:
Why are the comments in this thread around shaming a video game company? Even with admins taking part in the "fun".
@Bram
So much for respecting users and companies that use this forum or which have their games with a dedicated place in this website.

Respect? I still haven't forgotten after all this time just how much 'respect' was shown towards the people who went to SMS forums to bring up valid complaints about the game they just spent their hard earned money on. PCars was completely unplayable on the consoles for MONTHS after launch. The hopes I had to race with good friends and setup some great, casual racing series were completely dashed when everybody else lost interest, asked for refunds, or just deleted the game and went back to Forza. I feel my money was wasted as well thanks to the fact that the initial impressions were so poor from others. Then, to add salt to the wound, if you even so much as glanced the wrong way at the game on their boards, you were perma-banned. People who spend 60 bucks on a game deserve to have their voices heard and their concerns addressed. Deliver a solid product and you won't have those people complaining to you.

Rather than fixing those issues, they announce PCars 2 and all of the promises for addons and car types were eventually pulled from the game to appear later in the sequel. Now, it seems as though they may be set to do it again, announcing a new game before PCars 2 is even out.

The sad thing is that I'm sure SMS has some tremendous developers and great all-around people on the team, but the guy at the top is a serious **** and so are his site mods. Childish behavior at its best.

Mmm...worst case scenario: they hook up with Simbin to create GTR3. Ian Bell founded Simbin in 2003 (according to wikipedia). Suddenly that spring fellow from R3E announces Simbins revival with GTR3..."There is the strike into midfield...Ian Bell starts running to homeplate..aaaaannnddd......THREE OUT!

From your logic, if what I said a long time ago wasn't appropriate why do you agree with what is being said now in this thread to being appropriate for a forum such as RD? Therefore if you don't agree with what I said back then, you shouldn't also agree with some of the comments in this thread.

If SMS are so bad and their games are so bad and morally or ethically bad, why do they have a dedicated space in RD? If they can be shamed so openly in this forum because "you have true reasons for it", then just remove their existence from this website, am I not right?

1. As a believer in the principle of "practice what you preach" I quoted your post as an example of what you consider as "shaming", which stood in stark contrast to what you yourself complained about.

2. Personally I would never use the term "shaming" when discussing problems or shortcomings of racing sims. To me "shaming" is too morally laden a term. (Note the 'unsure' smilie I used in my post.) I prefer the term "criticise" in this context.

3. SMS is a significant producer of racing sims (notwithstanding if the games are good or bad), therefore it is logical and justified that their games are offered space in RD's forums so that users can discuss these games. This has little to do with morals or ethics.

Last edited:
does anyone really cares? look at the state of Project CARS, how it was release and the support they gave to the game, and how people are skeptical about PCARS 2... and they had 2 other projects that were... cancelled? World of Speed? Red Bull Air Race?

nope. count me out. they're slightlymad, I'm very skeptical :p

Perhaps Project FFB Slider.
A sim which perfectly enables you to slide 5875 switches for whatever reason to the left or the right just so you can experience the best ffb in the world.

A more serious approach: perhaps they try to simulate just one offical series like in the good old days? All cars, all teams, all drivers, all tracks? A complete package. That would be interesting.

Why do SMS do this again? People got furious when they announced pCARS 2 right after pCARS launch, now the hint about a new IP before pCARS 2 release. How about release one game, make sure it is good and does not need 10 major updates and THEN announce the next game? I've lost trust in SMS completely after pCARS, and stuff like this does not help...

Don't complain about SMS or Ian bell (or steffano or whoever) disrespectful manners with rude manners.

Only thing you achieve is them stopping from listening you, even more. Be polite, maybe they won't listen you neither, but you won't be as low PR level as them.

Just thinking out loud.

You just can't enter SMS or kunos posts because they are full of sh*t nowadays. I don't know wtf you guys play nowadays but...rFactor2, AC, AMS, DirtRally, pCars (pCars2 looks great if it has as good gameplay...damn!)...all are very much better sims than those games we had in 2006-2010 in terms of simulation and realism. But if you want to keep playing just them...go ahead.

You don't have to f*ck your new work partner if you still prefer your wife. Just let it go.

Why do SMS do this again? People got furious when they announced pCARS 2 right after pCARS launch, now the hint about a new IP before pCARS 2 release. How about release one game, make sure it is good and does not need 10 major updates and THEN announce the next game? I've lost trust in SMS completely after pCARS, and stuff like this does not help...
People who get furious if a big (within the scope of the business sector) company works on 2 (in words two) different products simultaneously should make an appointment at the psychiatrist, quickly

Crazy.
Mr Bell is running a business.
Mr Bell is creating interest.
Mr Bell is a very wealthy man.
Mr Bell is very, very good at marketing.
Simple.
If you don't want the product, don't buy it.
You have a choice.
Point scoring against each other is pointless.
This kind of thread just highlights everything that is wrong with video game players.
Crazy.
You have a choice.
To buy, or not to buy.
Simple.

..and more important than that, RD is a racing community is it not? So why is this an article here? Given that it might not even be a racing title...? "Yes, sort of" could mean it's almost anything with a clock. I appreciate RD want traffic as much as SMS want exposure, but given RD's large and international audience, you guys are just as responsible for any hype trains as the companies themselves.

..and more important than that, RD is a racing community is it not? So why is this an article here? Given that it might not even be a racing title...? "Yes, sort of" could mean it's almost anything with a clock. I appreciate RD want traffic as much as SMS want exposure, but given RD's large and international audience, you guys are just as responsible for any hype trains as the companies themselves.

SMS are a racing game development team, who up to now have produced racing games. They say something like this, which is newsworthy and could very very likely be related to racing and you ask why we would cover it? Of course we would, its racing and its news. We write news about racing :D

Now not related to the above, but more in general terms, please everyone can we keep the comments civil from here on in. Although behavior hasn't been too bad actually in my opinion, it's always worth a little reminder to behave :D

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%